SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_nickoley

Am I on the right track color-wise with remodel?

nancy_nickoley
4 years ago

Our home will be getting a huge face lift. Basically starting from scratch with colors and fixed items. All the honey oak going away along with the reds/golds. Here's what I'm thinking: For the kitchen, cabinets will be painted white, soapstone countertops on the perimeter, white carrara marble on the island. Floors throughout most of house will be white oak stained a medium brown (provincial?). We have plantation shutters on the main level that are stained which I'd like to have sprayed the trim color if possible but if not they might work okay with the medium brown hardwood flooring.

For paint, I'm leaning toward SW Alabaster walls, SW Extra White cabinets/trim/doors hoping that this will give me the fresh and lighter look I want and but will allow me lots of options color-wise since I am going to wait to purchase furniture, rugs, etc. after the work is done but I do have some pictures I'd like to use that are muted rich colors (like old world/vintage type). I have a mahogany dining room table and sideboard and a walnut piano. Most of the pictures I see of homes with Alabaster are so light in everything - furniture, floors, etc. Will the Alabaster/Extra White combo work well with the soapstone/marble in the kitchen, the medium brown floors and also allow me the flexibility to go numerous directions with furniture, rugs, art especially if they are richer, muted colors?

It's soooo hard to imagine my home doing a 180 off small paint sample boards and small stone pieces and a floor that won't be stained until everything else is done.

Comments (19)