SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coffeebreak

Backsplash - Round 2 - Am I on the right track?

coffeebreak
15 years ago

Quick recap: This is a 1947 Spanish Style home that is being remodeled due to a flood. Main ingredients are white cabinets with a brown glaze (recently we found out it has some green in it), soapstone counters, and wood floors.

We put up a backsplash that never should have been installed then tore it down. We are starting from scratch (except for the budget that is!)

So... here we are today:

We were told that we might want to consider a color close to cardboard as a backsplash. That it would pull the color of the cabinet glaze out and tone down the green a bit. We put some extra travertine tiles around and it did look better.

I don't know if I want to go tumbled stone though so I thought about subway tiles. Then.... I found this:

These are actually two different manufacturers. One is Emser (Cristallo Crackle Antique Beige), the other is unknown (tile shop wouldn't say).

What do you think? Soapstone with a glossy crackle backsplash?

As always, you input is valued and appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: Emser - Cristallo Crackle Antique Beige

Comments (49)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't like it, to tell you the truth. I don't think it adds anything. Sorry.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

After trying to decide why I don't like it for your kitchen, I think it's just too rustic. Crackle would be good, it's the terracotta-ness that just doesn't go.

• Related Discussions

Another post: Am I being picky about our backsplash??

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Jane, I understand how you feel about things not being quite right and then having to decide if you can live with them or if they will drive you crazy. Assuming that it would be no more difficult to change it later if needed, I'd suggest living with it for awhile, at least until you get more of the other elements into the room. You may find that, in the whole beautiful room, it isn't as much of an issue as when you are focussing on it now since it is newly installed. Remember we are doing our masterbath in similar colors and materials to you? Well, let me share with you our latest hiccup... After many long delays (mostly on our part), our custom vanities were due to be installed last Thursday. Our lovely Amish craftsman travelled 2 1/2 hours with his driver to bring them to us. If it had been any other person coming, I would have rescheduled because I was soooo sick and miserable that day. My husband saw the cabinets first and said, "You'd better take a look at these, they're really dark." And they were. Several shades darker than the stain sample piece that many months ago we had cut in half to give us both the same color reference. They stopped attaching the cabinets to the wall and waited for my husband and I to discuss what to do, very apologetic and completely willing to take all three vanities back to be refinished. A pretty major decision needed to be made at a time when I could hardly hold my head up. It was definitely going to change the "look" of the room but would that necessarily be a bad thing? After the time and expense of this project there was no way we'd want our cabinets to affect how we felt about the room. The cabinets were gorgeous and the darker color was lovely so we decided that they would stay. Each time I've looked in the room since then, I'm happy with how they look with our tile and think that darker probably is better after all... I think we were headed to too many mid-tones. The new color of our vanities looks almost exactly like yours(!) Unfortunately, two of the three had to go back to be remade for other reasons but that's another story. *sigh* Good luck with your project and continue to post pics and updates... I'll be watching for them!
    ...See More

Can someone help me track down backsplash marble?

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks so much for all the feedback. The Amazon tiles are the same as Home Depot and the online source I found... Perfect except they are too grey. Herringbone is a lovely pattern, but too busy for my space otherwise I would consider it. Going to a tile store is definitely worth another try - I did ask the store I am buying my floor tiles from, but they gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look. Maybe another sales assistant could help me track them down, or DH and I can try a few different places. I will keep trying and thank you for all the suggestions! If anyone else comes across what I am looking for, please let me know!
    ...See More

The backsplash install began and I am questioning myself

Q

Comments (46)
    I think its got to go. I spent the day rationalizing how to keep it, but now I know that I really don't want it. DH is worried that taking down the tiles will hurt the cabinets that the tiles butt up against, but it's just thinset, not grout. I'm sure people make mistakes and tiles come down. We have just enough tile left to redo the wall. I was going to tile over the window and door to the living room, but we are so over budget at this point, that it's just not necessary to do more than the redo. In the demolition we found a slow leaking water pipe in the wall. The water rotted out 2 2x4s and the floor plate. It was a big expensive repair that included removing siding etc. That and an electrical problem and just some low estimations, put us way over. That's another reason I was trying to rationalize keeping the tile. But that's allover now. I need to be true to myself. I can cut back this winter and recoup the extra money. I want the kitchen that I planned and worked for, not a spur of the moment giving in to the taste of the tile guy. Thanks again to GW for helping me get through this. My dad would say, "this should be the worse thing that ever happens to you."
    ...See More

Help! I am not sure what to do with this backsplash

Q

Comments (4)
    Drywall is cheap and easy to patch. I'd just take a metal scraper and start prying that bugger off. If you can't figure out how to patch the drywall, surely one of your contractors can! It really is easy. And cheap. Especially since you will be tiling over most of it, so you don't need a perfect finish coat. (Getting a perfect finish coat is the trickiest aspect, IME.) I had a plastic thing like that as a backsplash behind by utility sink, but mine was screwed to the wall so it was easy to remove without harming the drywall, and I can't see any screw holes in yours, so it was probably glued on. Even so, it might pry off easily enough and then you can just patch the drywall a bit, prime it, and you're good to go. Worst case, you trash the drywall, and you'll just need to cut the drywall to nearby studs, slap up a patch piece, tape and mud a few coats, and it'd done. In my reno, my contractors have had to do that to good drywall at least a dozen times, and one competent guy can get it cut out, patched, taped and mudded to finish coat in just a few hours work.
    ...See More
  • rhome410
    15 years ago

Sorry, I'm not loving it either. Do you have any inspiration kitchens that you can draw from? What was your vision for the room?

Rather than 'pullout' the glaze color, I might go with a subway that matches the cabinet color and let the glaze color 'stand out' instead. But I don't know if you want that classic white-on-white look.

• redroze
    15 years ago

I think that "backsplash that looks like cardboard" would not be a good thing for your beautiful cabinets and soapstone. It would not do it justice. White subway tile would be too white for your cabinets but you could go with an offwhite. For some reason though,I think a crackled porcelain tile just wouldn't work...

I actually think tumbled stone would look good - not the tumbled travertine but more of a tumbled marble.

This type of a feel. It's a tumbled marble in a colour called Bottoccino.
    {{gwi:1729307}}

This is a tough one. Normally I have a strong opinion but I'm not quite sure what to recommend. Your kitchen has a very traditional feel to me so my instinct would be a crackled subway tile normally, but not in your case.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'll post another reply if I think of something. i can understand why you're stuck!

• chinchette
    15 years ago

Isn't this similar to the one you took down? Or am I nuts?

• iris16
    15 years ago

I agree with the others. It looks very much like what you took down at least from the pictures. I really like the subway tile tumbled marble that redroze suggested.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Ya' see... it's all a matter of opinion. I like the tumbled marble but I'd like to see it paired with a little "bling". Maybe some charcoal/slate colored glass. I'm just a sucker for glass tile. I thought it would tie into your hardware; but then again, so would the marble veining. Guess it boils down to the allure of that glass for me!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

I like the tumbled marble, too. A nice classic look for your classic kitchen.

• msrose
    15 years ago

Another vote for subway tile that matches the cabinets, not the glaze.

Did you see Lisa's new backsplash?

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Lisa's backsplash

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Well I'll be the voice of dissent, being very familiar with that particular tile. (The Emser Cape Cod crackle line -- bottom picture) It really isn't very rustic at all, in person, and has some very elegant decos and trims in the line.

If you still think it may be a bit too rustic, then check out the Walker Zanger Gramercy Park line. Lots of scrumptious colors in crackle glazes that are (IMO) fabulous with soapstone. Check out the Brownstone, Smoke and Espresso colors in particular and the fabulous trim pieces. There are also hand-painted trims that have several different colors.

And since I'm dissenting, I'll just say please don't use tumbled stone. It's so ubiquitous right now that it would read as a 'non-decision'. Your kitchen is made for gorgeous ceramics, and you'll find the right one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gramercy Park (photos at bottom)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Nope, sorry. Love the trims, but the stuff in the gallery is all Tuscan, where it works fine, but that's quite a different scenario.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

tsdiver, if you can't decide, just slap a coat of paint on it and put back the outlets till you see something you fall in love with. There's no sense in forcing a decision just to get it done.

• alku05
    15 years ago

I like the crackle tile, but not the color. It looks too peach to go with your kitchen. One of the things I love about your kitchen (besides the perfect layout, LOL) is that wonderful color you picked for the cabinets. The "cardboard" tones are just not nearly doing those cabinets justice- they deserve better.

Choosing white-on-white, or in your case, cream-on-cream colors is really, really hard to get just right. If you don't want to go with a bit of contrast, then i think you should wait on the backsplash until you find the *perfect* tile.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

TS, I'm new enough here that I never saw the original tile. Have you already ruled out green, e.g., a pale sage/grayish green? I like the idea of the crackly glossy (subway or square) tile.

• louisa_smith03
    15 years ago

I agree with bluekit. See the view from the window in the picture? that light green/grey/blue? I think a tile that somehow incorporates that would be so lovely. I've included a link with a lovely blue, but the grey is also very nice in a more sophisticated way. I went with cheapo glossy white subway tile and I'm perfectly happy with it-- until I start looking at these Ann Sacks tiles! Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: tile

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! You all have so many great suggestions, comments, and ideas.

First, I wanted to shoot another picture of that particular tile in natural light. The only reason being, is for the "peach" and "terra cotta" comments. I don't see the peach color... it really is a bit more like a rusty brown (camera, flash, monitor difference?). But the terra cotta comment had me stumped. Does that mean due to the variation in the tile itself? I was told by the tile associate that some contain color variation in each tile, and some series vary tile to tile. I think I was a little skittish of the tile to tile variation, so it led me in this direction.

Ok, now... to answer a few more questions. The tile that I pulled down was supposed to be a cream color. It turned out a yellow color with green undertones. It pulled out the green undertones in the cabinets which was exactly what we did NOT want to happen. The room color paint was chosen to tone down that greenish hue.

The original idea for the kitchen/great room and various other parts of the home was to incorporate Malibu style tiles. These are Spanish tiles that have rich colors to them. We had planned to have decorative tiles to wrap around the hood and to be used as a rectangle behind the range. We were also going to put them around a fireplace that is in the great room (kitchen attached). When we tore down the backsplash, we tore down the field tiles as well as the behind the range deco tiles. However, we kept the hood tiles in place for now. Here is what they look like:

The photo above also shows the great room color on the hood.

Here is a close up of the tile colors next to a broken tile in "almond" color:

I have been to Walker Zanger and viewed their Gramercy Park line. I took samples back to the house and did notice that their color is much more consistent throughout the tile but the samples I choose didn't work color wise....but, that was trying to pull glaze color.

Before we started looking at the beige crackle tiles, we looked at off white subways. We went to Dal Tile and got a few samples (broken tile in photo above is one). We were really trying to focus on the color, then see what kind of options were available. At the time, we looked at matte finishes in off white colors. Almond was the best choice.

We started down the crackle tile road due to Lisa's backsplash. It looks great! I cannot seem to find anyone who supplies Horus Art tiles around here. I ended up requesting some samples from Fastfloors.com. She didn't know if they could get them, and they also had no contact information for them. I have requested a local distributor from their website, but I have had no response. Anyone know anything about them? I'm in So Cal.

We also looked at some tiles that were thicker and had more character to them (for lack of a better word). They were from a company called Mexican Handcrafted Tile.
    http://www.mexicanhandcraftedtile.com/catalog/suprema/mat_sup/dsply1.htm

When the samples arrived, we were a bit confused as they sent two of each tile choice we had selected. The reasoning...HUGE color difference between the tiles of the same color. Well, that scared us off after what happened to the last batch.

And to answer writersblock question.... we went ahead and had the electrician finish the outlets so that we can move on with our remodeling process. We are currently beginning the city's final inspection process.

Thanks again for all your responses. They are so INCREDIBLY helpful!

Now... just to throw out another option... did you know that they make soapstone in mesh-backed mosaics? If I could come up with a light colored field tile (subway, square, glossy, matte?) what if I wrapped the hood with little soapstone bricks and used it somehow in a design behind the range? Too much soapstone?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorado Soapstone Mosaics

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Ok,

It really helps to see your tiles around the hood. I think your original vision was more craftsmany- earthy- hand madey- than what many were seeing just viewing pictures of your fairly classic more towards the formal side cabinets and counter.

I think we need to see your great room and fireplace to get a feel for where you're going. Just seeing the cabs and counter out of context is sending people in the wrong direction (IMHO).

I think you need to decide what feel you want for the whole setting. Look for inspiration pics and once you know where you're going, then start on the particulars. I am a gardener, and just as many people tend to focus on specific plants rather than the whole landscape, I think you will be disappointed in your final effect if you don't have clear idea of where you're heading.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

TS, hello from a fellow SoCal native! I apologize because I do remember seeing that beautiful deco tile on the hood but didn't connect it with your Round 2 post. That makes your tile color choice a no brainer: either blue (toned down from the hood color, more in the pale azure/sky family) or red/reddish (Mexican paver/saltillo colored tile would, I think, be very nice). I will always vote for blue :) but the Mexican paver color would fit in better with the house (and, I'm guessing, the neighborhood). The close up crackle tile is good but I think you could go for a darker and slightly more red color. Crackly feel tile is perfect. I don't think the tumbled marble/soapstone tiles give you the right feel, jmo.

We have so many Spanish/Mexican resources that the rest of America might not know about. Have you tried local places such as Arte de Mexico for ideas?

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I think the 'peach' and 'terra cotta' comments come from the fact that when your 'rusty brown' is so sheer with the light color behind, it gives an overall peachy look...as when you mix rust with cream. I do think that's what it would give off from a distance.

I like the almond with the cabinet color. Did you not like it and dismiss it for some reason? Is there anything available to coordinate with the background in your hood tiles? Past almond, I agree with bluekit that going with a color that connects with those tiles would be a good idea, if you want to keep them for the long haul.

• jenseattle
    15 years ago

After seeing the hood tiles, I am interested in your choice of cabinets and counters. To me, the counters & cabs scream "classic kitchen", which has a much different feel from a Spanish influenced/more rustic kitchen. I'm having a hard time picturing the various elements coming together in a cohesive way.

Personally, I would probably scrap the hood tiles and choose simple subway tile for the backsplash.

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Raehelen - I think you are right. I need to post some overall shots to get the proper feel for the place. I understand what you are saying about landscaping... when you can't see the forest for the trees.

Bluekitchen - A long time ago, we thought briefly about a cranberry backsplash. I think the idea of that much color gave us pause, but I still wonder about the idea!

Rhome - Ah... peach, got it now. We did not rule out the almond color, we just got side tracked with trying to pull out the glaze. Everything is an option! LOL The prior backsplash was supposed to coordinate with the hood. Same maker, but they didn't. We just left them up because we didn't know what we were going to do.

Jenseattle - I think that is the heart of the problem. Do you try to integrate a bit of the California Spanish into the kitchen and tie it to the great room, or go a completely different direction. That is why the subway crackles came into play. We had given up on the Malibu tiles completely... hood included. So at least in my mind, we have a clean slate! No angst in pulling them down at all!

Oh... no pressure here, but did I mention that when you walk through the front door, you stare into the kitchen at the hood? LOL Yep! I'm going slow this time!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I like the cranberry idea! (It being one of my favorite colors probably has something to do with it...)

I do think you can bring in the California Spanish, as a mix of styles can often be really cool. After all, there are whole areas in California with mixes of Bungalow and Spanish homes, so a mix of the 2 should be a 'natural' in that area. I think more colorful tile might accomplish that...Of course, it would be easier to know if we see the rest of your house, as suggested already.

One of my inspiration baking areas (unfortunately I can't find the photo) had classic cabinetry with Mexican/Spanish painted tiles for backsplash, much like on your hood. Maybe you could do a busier backsplash with some solids as feature or accents, and then the solid could go on the hood?

Just brainstorming and thinking out loud...

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Going red/reddish / cranberry would bring some zing into the kitchen. It would also get you past the almost but not quite right issues with the variations on white that you've tried.

• nats-md
    15 years ago

I'm definitely in the minority here, but I like the sample crackle tile. I agree that a bit darker/more terra cotta might be more dramatic, which could be better. The crackle finish gives it a handmade look. Of course, I am biased because our kitchen is going to have off white cabinets, wood floors and probably gray honed granite (love the look of soapstone -- yours looks gorgeous -- but afraid of the damage to be inflicted by 3 young kids), and we love handpainted tiles, so are trying to incorporate them into our backsplash. We're probably going to go with a light terra cotta field tile. I think it gives warmth to the white/stainless palette. Also, while our house is a 1928 colonial, it has some spanish influences (rough plaster walls, arched niches & doorways, iron rail stair), so we're playing off that, which sounds like you are too. We're on the east coast, where spanish colonial isn't nearly as prevalent, so I think you can mix it into almost any style in California and it won't look too out of place.

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pictures, pictures and more pictures....

Here we go:

Red tile roof, brown trim, black iron:

Front door is upstairs. Looking from kitchen toward front door and dining area:

From the front door looking in:

Iron staircase behind kitchen wall:

Original 1947 Fireplace (was going to be tiled, but right now just painted):

Last photo... Walker Zanger Gramercy Park crackle tiles with the Emser one:

Rhome - Cranberry your favorite color eh? :) I like it too, I just don't know how much of it would be too much. Even in 1947, this house had a mix of styles, so I guess that tradition will continue.

Pbr - Zing! I like that word. I think you are right about a possible solution going a completely different direction than the off white.

Nats - Wow! You home sounds very similar... skip trowel finish, arched niches and doorways, iron rail stair, off white cabs, wood floors, and gray counters. :) Amazing. Do you have a link to your field tile? I would love to see it!

Well... do the pictures change your minds at all? Give you any ideas? Lead you in one direction over another?

Thanks a bundle for all your advice and guidance!

• msrose
    15 years ago

I still like the idea of an off white backsplash to match the cabinets. I'm not sure I can picture the cranberry. Even if you weren't going for the classic look, that's how your kitchen looks to me.

Laurie

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Still thinking a colorful (deep cranberry?) tile on the fireplace and one to match or coordinate in the kitchen would just pull it all together and do more to connect with the home's 'heritage'-- if that's the right word, but I think you'll know what I mean. I don't mind the crackle, but want more color. I think you could go with glossy ceramic (crackle or not) or the other way to something unglazed. I am now not in favor of classic subways...I'd prefer something with a handmade look. That uneven look would contrast with the classically styled, sleeker cabinets and make it all work, I think. JMO!

PS I was remembering some lovely square and brick shaped tiles I saw by Gainey. The Four Seasons, Florentine, and Legacy lines all have a crimson/cranberry choice. The glazes are sheer but have deeper color and have the variation found in handmade style tiles. I think I liked Sedona and Crimson better than the Chianti, which leaned a little toward purple. But I also think they were less bright than they appear on my computer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gainey tiles

• alku05
    15 years ago

I like the idea of using that plain almond tile as a field tile and then doing a row of spanish tiles as a liner or using them as accents. I'd also put the spanish tile on the fireplace.

Our neighbors behind us have a californian/spanish style home very much like yours, and they recently redid their kitchen in white cabinets and used the spanish tile for their entire backsplash. It really fits the style of their home.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Dumb question: Are the Spanish deco tiles new and easily available, or original to the house and unavailable? If the former, your backsplash decision is really easy -- something basic (and crackly) with the same deco tile. If the latter, I worry that a straight cranberry would be too dark, so either lighten up the color or do little cranberry inserts in your terracotta. I don't know if you've already planned a design above the range but you could do a large focal point that echoes, but doesn't perfectly copy, the Spanish deco design (e.g., a fleur de lis or Dresden plate mosaic). HTH.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Yes,

The pics really help.

I like the colour of the broken almond tile you held up in the first batch of photos- but, seeing your humungeous kitchen- wow- (aren't you lucky to have such a nice big space!?!)- I think you can carry off some colour. What colour are your furniture pieces/accessories? What colours do you like?

I am actually (I think I am- have to wait until replacement granite arrives to be sure) going with a tile from Marca Corona that sort of looks like handmade craftsman type tiles, they come in various colour groups and lots of sizes- maybe they would work for you too- and best news is- they are very reasonably priced! I don't know the style name- but perhaps your tile store will have Marca Corona tiles in stock. Some wonderful person here mocked up a backsplash for me, and unfortunately by the time I thought of trying to save the pic, the post had scrolled off the GW site.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

How about a cranberry color like this mixed in with some subway tile as a border around your stove? Maybe interspersed somewhow throughout?

Here is a link that might be useful: pretty cranberry tile

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Msrose - Thank you for your input. I had always envisioned the kitchen with Spanish Tiles... and silly as it sounds, I never thought of it as a classic kitchen. Shows you how much this place can influence me!

Rhome - I will be checking into the Gainey tiles next week. Thanks for the lead! It looks like they have a lot of options in those lines.

Alku - I like the idea of a row of Spanish tiles. We also thought that a tile here and there (random) might be nice too.

Bluekit - Not a dumb question. The tiles are new, but they were a one shot deal, so they are not available any longer. Your second idea about the range having a focal point, but not an exact match is what we attempted to do the first time. All was well except for the background color of the deco tiles and the field tiles. Starting from scratch with the same idea and different tiles might also be the answer. Hmmm....

Raehelen - Sad but true here... we are starting with nothing furniture wise, nothing to plan around anyway. Thanks for the lead on the Marca Corona. I will add that to my list. Reasonably priced sounds really great about now!

Remodelfla - Very pretty cranberry tiles indeed. My first reaction was a deep sigh of "those are gorgeous, but too modern looking," but when you place on here and there or as a border like you suggested, well now that takes on a whole different look.

You all are great thinking outside the box! Thank you!

• lisa226
    15 years ago

your home is just lovely!!! you have great taste and all i can say is take your time...it will come together....dont do anything until you love it...and you will....as far as recommendations....thats a tough one for me....im the girl who has a hard time making the right choice also... im rooting for you though...whatever you pick im sure will be lovely...as the rest of the house.... lisa :)

• nats-md
    15 years ago

We're thinking something along the lines of Jeffrey Court's Old California line (link below), or something like Emser's 'vecchia corte' here's a link: http://www.emser.com/showroom/vecchia_corte/vecchia.html

But still in the decision stages. Our houses do shares some characteristics - beautiful kitchen so far!

Here is a link that might be useful: jeffrey court old california tiles

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa - We sure have started a unique club. Let's hope no one else joins! Thanks for the kind and calming words. :) Hey... I have been having a hard time finding a distributor of Horus Art. Where did you find yours? I have emailed the company, but no response yet.

Nats - Thanks for the link. The tile place I am going to next week carries that line. I will most definitely check them out!

• joanie_b
    15 years ago

TS - your home is beautiful.

I really like the crackle tile, especially after seeing the close-up pic.
    I think it will bring out the glaze in your cabinets perfectly and will be a nice bridge to all of the woodwork in your home. Even your pendant glass would be enhanced by that tile.
    Plain white, bone or ivory tile will make the kitchen look like too much of a white blob in all of that warmth.

• cran
    15 years ago

TS, I love your kitchen! It really is beautiful. I am in the process of planning my remodel and have chosen off white cabinets and soapstone..so thanks for confirming my choices. I am also stumped on my tile, but with yours I see more clearly. Have you considered having some blue to tie in the hood. It could be just a narrow strip or cap. I thinks something bumpy or textured is more earthy and fit into the Ca/Spanish look. But what do I know I live in Massachusetts!

• sweeby
    15 years ago

As much as I love the crackle tiles, seeing your house and fabulous hood changes everything! I've seen the forest, and it wants more Spanish influence, not less.

What about something along these lines?

• dutchy7
    15 years ago

Not sure how helpful this is, but I remember seeing this kitchen in a magazine a while back, so I tracked down the link. It combines Spanish colonial influences with classic period kitchen elements like soapstone and subway tile. I wish the pictures were bigger, but it looks like they have borders of Spanish tiles topped by subways.
    {{gwi:1906620}}
    {{gwi:1906621}}

Here is a link that might be useful: spanish style kitchen

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I didn't realize my hood inspiration was in your kitchen ;) My contractor has a pic of your hood glued to my hood LOL

I have to be a disenter as well...I like the crackle tile you've picked, but I'd throw in a few blue or cranberry or both accents if it were my kitchen to pull the color off the gorgeous hood.

• linley1
    15 years ago

I agree with Sweeby. I think your kitchen could definitely handle a little more color and spanish influence if you want to move in that direction. I do think the Jeffrey court Old California tiles posted earlier would look really nice.

Country Floors also has two nice spanish lines. The "Antiquity Mission" has subtle colors and patterns and would blend nicely with your cabinets. For a bolder touch, take a look at the "La Brea" tiles.

{{gwi:1906622}}{{gwi:1906623}}
    {{gwi:1906624}}

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Check out these guys... I never heard of them but found them while googling in search for something that would suit your needs. They have solids and tons of borders/coordinating that might interest you. I kinda like the Terra Crackle collection myself...

Here is a link that might be useful: Oodles of Spanish tiles

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joanie - Thank you for your opinion and your nice comment. I appreciate it! The woodwork in the home definitely comes into play.

Cran - Thank you so much Cran. I have thought about adding blue tile... like a border or something. But I am also completely open to ripping out the hood tile. Linley posted some photos below that have a lot of texture. Is that what you are thinking too? As for your tile... take it from me... post a few photos here and let the guru's help you! They are wonderful!

Sweeby - It looks like all arrows are pointing to more Spanish tiles (with or without some crackle tiles) Hey... I guess it confirms that I was on the right track in the beginning.... LOL Love the pictures!

Dutchy - Wow...now that is a great mix of elements there. I visited the link and they said that the tiles were original to the house and that they salvaged them from around the windows. Nice! More were custom added from Mission Tile West.

Igloochic - Hey now! That is a major switch! I can't believe any picture of mine is being used as an inspiration photo! Thanks for your dissenting opinion, but it sounds like you would vote for the hood tiles to stay, so... looks like sticking with Spanish is your vote too! :)

Linley - Thanks for the pictures and the built in links! The antiquity Mission tiles are gorgeous! It is a very interesting way of adding color, especially combined with such an amazing texture.

Remodelfla - Oh boy... have I ever checked them out! We even took a road trip to San Diego to see them in person. They are beautiful! We might have to go back there soon. I didn't use them initially due to a hood issue... it was due to the fact that we needed 4" tiles and their tiles were 4 1/4". Since we wanted to use the same tiles for the backsplash... I kind of stopped there.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was out of town this weekend. Thanks again for the ideas, links, and leads. We are hoping to go to a few more tile shops this week. In the meanwhile we are continuing on with our final inspection process.

Thank you all!

• wascolette
    15 years ago

You can have malibu tiles made with the exact glaze colors you want. They can replicate perfectly the tiles you have on your hood. I think that would be lovely on the fireplace too. Check out this site. You can even go in and paint a tile yourself. Your tile is FD-103.

I think it would be a shame to tear out the malibu tile. It fits the style of your home so well. Individually painted malibu tiles are not cheap, but you probably wouldn't need that many. They can also do field tiles in the exact almond like color to match your existing tiles.

Your kitchen and home are beautiful and I can't wait to see what you decide on.

Here is a link that might be useful: California Pottery

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    15 years ago

Wow, that Santa Barbara tile at Tierra y Fuego is so close to the tile you have on your hood.
    Have you made any decisions yet?

• kren_pa
    15 years ago

hi tsdiver
    you have a beautiful kitchen. i love spanish style and love your hood tiles. i also think soapstone counters are great, but i have never seen soapstone combined right next to orangey or tan spanish rustic tile. to me they don't go together...just MHO. what about a tile that is spanish, or patterned, but that pulls out at least one of the colors in the counter? that would coordinate better in my mind. the counter appears to me to be black, gray, greenish. how about soapstone tile backsplash with accent tiles containing cranberry, green, and other colors? good luck, in a kitchen that nice, this is a big decision. kren

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    15 years ago

bump

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wascollette - I love that tile painter that California Pottery has available on their website. Fun, fun, fun! We have not decided yet which direction we are going to go yet.

Hockeychik - Sadly, no decisions as of yet. We had great plans of hitting the tiles shops again and figuring this whole thing out, but... Well, we went to one huge showroom and were completely overwhelmed. We left after only 20 minutes or so. We realized that we either need to get some help, or wait a bit so that we can go at it with clearer heads. The remodel has not been a positive experience as of late and is quite the de-motivator. Hopefully, we will be able to get back into it soon.

Kren - Thank you for your ideas Kren! They are appreciated. Right now, everything is on the table. We just came back from a showroom that had Malibu Style tiles with crackle tiles next to it. Who knew?

Thanks for posting!

• kiturah
    8 years ago

I too agree with sweeby. The Talavera tiles of your hood need to be joined. Talavera are thick handmade, and yes the color varies a bit. It will look right when done- I have a kitchen full of talavera that I love.