SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim_thompson909

Flooring for kitchen in 100 year old house. Help please!!!

Kim Thompson
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I can not make up my mind about flooring material for my kitchen we have been renovating. We have an old house and this part of the house was added on in the 70s. I am trying to make it belong to the rest of the house and picked more classic design. My husband wants 12"x24" dark (almost black) porcelain tile for ease of maintenance and installation but I feel like it doesn't belong to an old house. I kind of like the idea of large hex tile but my husband thinks they are for bathrooms. Our kitchen is a part of a great room and its flooring will butt against oak flooring in 3 sides. (on the second photo, it will be oak beyond the post. My first choice would be extending oak but we want radiant heating so it has to be something heat resistant. I think engineered hardwood is possible but I don't know how hard it is to match the existing flooring. Also this part would be slightly raised from existing oak flooring. I feel it should be something drastically different to make it more intentional if can not be matched completely. Help please!

Comments (14)