Asking for help finding information

skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

I'm looking for books about orreries. An Internet search yielded next to nothing. My Library doesn't have anything so I had planned to put in an Interlibrary Loan request but can't even find any titles to ask for. If any of you know of any books about orreries I would appreciate it. I find these fascinating and some are absolute works of art. There is a nice Planetarium near here and I looked at the web sight and searched there but nothing came up. I may call them Monday to see if they can help me or perhaps refer me to somewhere else - a club or Society? Any help you can provide would be great. I'm trying to insert a link for you; let's hope it works. Thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orrery

SaveComment4Like1
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmeow

It looks like Amazon may have some. One title mentioned on several sites is Orrery by Richard Kennedy.

Donna

Save     Thanked by skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

I saw that too Donna. It appears to be a book of poetry. Not really what I'm after. Thank you though.

ETA After thinking about it, I've decided to read the Richard Kennedy book anyway. I'm new to poetry and Kennedy is a local author for me. It will have value in that regard. I have to remind myself that I am not going to dismiss anything out of hand without giving it a try. Thanks Donna. :)

Save    
colleenoz

How about this one?

Orrery by Tony Buick

Save     Thanked by skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Thank you both. I have ordered all three through Interlibrary Loan. With any luck I'll get some bites. Also have a call into the Museum that has a nice Planetarium and am waiting for them to call back. I also took out a book called Enon by Paul Harding which has a wonderful description of an orrery in it. I remember loving that book and in my book log referred to it as a Masterpiece. Has anyone else read it?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Tech All Is Not Lost: New Gadgets Help You Find Your Stuff
If you lose it when you lose things around the house (and who doesn't?), one of these wireless finders may be to your gain
Full Story
Life 15 Questions to Ask When Interviewing a Real Estate Agent
Here’s what you should find out before selecting an agent to sell your home
Full Story
Green Building How to Start Finding a Greener House
On the hunt for a more ecofriendly house? Here are the questions to ask and research to do
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
With over 24 years of experience, we are a leader in the home organization industry. We aim to provide our... Read More