SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eschism

Frustrated but resigned to many symmetry problems all advice welcome!

eschism
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

so after 15 years I am finally redoing my living room with new furniture. It has recently been painted a nice Greige color after years of olive green and rust red which is already a vast improvement but I have reached a level of analysis paralysis in trying to solve a myriad of design problems this room creates.and so am reaching out for any all advice or suggestions on layout, furniture color and design, window treatments etc.

the Challenge begins with the need for two sofas since this is the place my husband and I chill out at the end of the day and watch tv etc. I really don’t see a way to put in a sectional or chairs or. Loveseat since they won’t give both of us the chance to stretch out . Currently as pictured we have a 7 foot couch on one wall and a loveseat on the other which will be replaced with another sofa. The current room has a myriad of symmetry problems none of which will be remedied by replacing the love seat with a couch but may. balance a bit better..

on the left wall wall there is a staircase and a resulting non square wall. This currently has the 7’ sofa. I would really like 2 8‘ sofas but with only 120” to work with on this wall I don’t think it will be possible as the couch would come right to the edge of the entrance wall and the table would be right up against the bannister. I could get a very narrow side table and maybe make it work but I think I have resigned myself to 7’ couches. Any way I do it the side here will be off center with artwork on its wall . If I center artwork over couch it is far right in the wall.

The back wall wall is part stairs/landing, fireplace and one window on the left of fireplace that is partially over the stairs which makes window treatments challenging hence the one sided curtain on true wrong side.!i would go without curtains here but the windows on the right wall feel very naked without curtains so I chose the lesser of two evils which is the weird curtain. I thought about maybe a nice blind on this window but don’t know if it’s weirder to have curtains on some windows and not all. Then there’s the balance issue of only the one window on the left. I have tried to balance it out with the mirror on the the right and think it does a fair job but am also considering a very tall 8’ modern shelving unit or artwork here.

The right wall wall has a large bank of 3 windows and a door to porch. Currently there is a loveseat here which will be a couch. If I center the couch with the window then it is not symmetrical with the opposing couch due to limits of stairs so it ends up being off Center right to the windows.

Lastly I would like to have a real coffee table instead of the ottoman pushed to one side but will it look weird in the middle of the room? Is it weird to walk through for everyone accessing the stairs?

i got he home design app and have taught myself to make a layout of the room. It has been fun for trying colors but I haven’t really been able to come up with any new solutions. I feel resigned to just having to deal with it as is bit thiught I would turn to you wonderful people for fresh eyes advice or suggestions on anything you think would help or opinions on color schemes (Orange oak floors are staying). Thanks for reading this wall of text.

Comments (3)