SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leann_fellmeth

Should The Landscape be Symmetrical?

17 years ago

New zone and new house (to us). The bug sprayer guy says no plants should be touching the house, so they're doomed... Although, in my book they were doomed before he told us that. Hehehe

Before I get to the specifics of what we should plant, I'd like to plan the aesthetics and rhythym (at least in my head).

I do want to generally go w/tropical plants, and include lighting, and possibly a water feature... Possibly.

As far as plants go, everything will be ditched but the palm trees on each corner. The hokey fake double doors will be replaced by one door (left) and a mosaic tile panel on the right. Metal awning will come down to be replaced by- as yet undecided. The faux green carpet in front of the faux double door will be replaced w/a mosaic tile design, likely to match the panel. The landscape tie edging will be gone, as will likely the wood mulch- bugs y'know. ;-)

Will replacing the double doors w/one, be enough to relieve the symmetry? The space to left of the walk matches that to the right... Any suggestions on what I should watch for in planning the spaces on each side so as to keep everything flowing, but not symmetrical?

I'm an artist, but am having problems transferring that side of my brain to this type of a project. I designed and planted the landscape at my old house, which actually sold the house- so I'm not totally incompetent... Until now. Hehehe

Any help, thoughts, advice, critique will be greatly appreciated!

Leann

Here is a link that might be useful: A few photos of the house front

Comments (7)