Souvlaki - it's what's for dinner!

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

The Souvlaki turned out surprisingly good. My tastebuds and over-full tummy are happy now. Nothing was exactly traditional but it all worked. For the marinade, I did not have white wine. We don't drink it so I saw no reason to buy a whole bottle for 1/4 cup. I substituted pomegranate vinegar. And of course no garlic in the tzaziki sauce, I used a mix of dried and fresh herbs. I'm so very happy. Already looking forward to next week's adventure. Pics to follow, crazy that you can't attach them to an original post.

SaveComment8Like1
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cooper8828

We're not much of a wine-drinking house either, but I do get the little bottles (like served on an airplane) for cooking.

Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

What made me even happier was that DH actually ate a nice spoonful of healthy wild/brown rice salad! Tzatziki sauce right above the salad then all the Souvlaki accompaniments. Top picture was the chicken - I unskewered all of it for ease in eating. We have enough for another meal!

4 Likes Save    
party_music50

It looks good! I'm glad it was such a success.

Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I love souvlaki and make it often (although a new Greek restaurant has opened nearby so I can now get the real deal :-)) I've done chicken a number of times but my favorite is lamb. And I usually cheat with that as my local grocer has Greek seasoned lamb kebobs ready for grilling!! And I also cheat by using naan instead of pita as I prefer the taste and texture. Hey - it's flatbread......it works!! I often fix tabouleh to go with. Or sometimes orzo with butter and mizithra. And gigante beans.

And leftover souvlaki makes a great salad addition.........

1 Like Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
chloebud

Looks darn good, Edie! Greek cuisine is a huge favorite, so I try to serve it frequently at our house.

tigereye

Edie could you post your recipes?

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Here is the link to the Souvlaki recipe and embedded in the directions is another link to a Tzatziki Sauce recipe

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/greek-chicken-souvlaki-recipe-tzatziki/

Bearing in mind that due to food allergies I can't have garlic, I pretty much upended my herb rack into the Tzatziki Sauce. Definitely not traditional but still very tasty. Accompaniments to the Souvlaki were sliced tomatoes, diced black olives, lettuce and jarred fire-roasted red peppers. We do not care for feta cheese so I chopped up some Provolone slices. And although the Souvlaki called for the juice but not the rind of a lemon, I grated it anyway for putting in the salad.

For the rice salad, I cooked 1 cup of brown/wild rice mix exactly according to the package instructions but added some dried herbs in with the rice before cooking (parsley, thyme, Summer Savory, white pepper and a dash of paprika. After the rice cooked I took it off the stove to cool, and stirred in just a dab of EVOO to keep it from drying out. Veggies I chopped and added after rice was good and cool were: tomatoes, bell pepper, halved black olives and the rest of the cucumber that I didn't grate for Tzatziki. Just before serving I tossed in some fresh oregano & mint leaves and some parsley and another small drizzle of EVOO. Then just for fun decoration a few of the innermost leaves from the lettuce head on top. That's it!

Yes I will do this again but probably not until outdoor grilling season. I've cleaned the stove twice and still keep finding grease spatters. I never saw such a mess!

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

Yum, edie, that looks good. Here in Michigan until I wait for outdoor grilling season, it'll be another 4 months, LOL.

Annie

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Dining Rooms Paging All Foodies: Your Banquette Is Ready
Please follow us to these 7 gorgeous dining nooks designed for everything from haute cuisine to s'mores
Full Story
Every project is a personal work of art, utilizing nature’s palette of perennials, shrubs and trees, creating a... Read More
Craftsman Construction is a luxury custom home builder and remodeler. Our company focuses on luxury residential... Read More