SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffeypop

Heating my new house is KILLING my wallet, any HVAC experts?

Jeff D
4 years ago

So I just bought my first home a few months ago. I'll. start by saying I'm very hot natured, so one of the appeals of this house was that the a/c was replaced in 2017. My summer bills were a little high but doable considering I prefer 65-68 degrees. It finally got cold here in NC and I ran the heater more than usual, but still I'm very hot natured so thermostat was on like 62-64. I was in horror when I got my last electric bill for $358. I have narrowed the issue down to the heating system.

As I have inspected things more and more (I'm a total cheapskate and DIYer I have learned that the outdoor compressor was indeed replaced in 2017, however the interior air handler was not. Would an old heat pack in the handler be causing this issue? If so I'm pretty sure I could replace the heat pack OR the heating element myself. As I said, I'm pretty handy, also my dad is an electrical engineer with an unlimited contractors license so I always have him assist/supervise with anything electrical. Past these two things what else could be the issue? Everyone keeps saying check for drafts and check your insulation. Neither of these things are great, but if they were bad I would have been hit with high bills this summer and I wasn't, so the obvious issue is the heater. I just know bubkus about heat pump heating units...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jeff

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH