SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomylake

Need advice on hvac as cancer patient coming to my home in 3 week

tomylake
14 years ago

Basement 880 sq ft: 2 vents from main 4 ton unit 1st floor: Not adequate for some reason. 1 contractor said air passes through vents to fast to catch it.

1st floor: 4 ton gas furnace n ac unit ( great service) as well as 2 ton apollo unit (not great) 2600 sq feet floor to ceiling high efficient windows and 10 ft tray ceilings with remote fans.

2nd floor: Open bedroom w/ bath n closet Live in central NC, home 16 yrs old although 4 ton unit only 4 yrs old and quite efficient. Very low utility bills as home is extremely well insulated. Above average

Recommendations to consider and please give advice:

Purchase new heat pump leave in crawl space located beside finished portion of basement and zone it to take care of basement and 2nd story of home. Consider a zone in frog as door rarely opened as dog loves to get into grands toys.

Recommendations: 1.5 ton unit since areas are so extreme and rarely call for heat or cool at same time.

2nd zoned scenario:

2.5 ton unit as basement sq ft requires 1 ton by itself. No consideration to system would be zoned.

Do not mind the cost of zone, just want basement heated n cooled adequately so can enjoy entertainment area.

2: Place more vents from 4 ton unit(2 already there but do not do adequate job) and zone if possible. Place new 1.5 ton heat pump in attic beside frog and zone 2nd floor. I really prefer not going with this scenario as I would rather heat pump remain in basement unfinished area.

Has always worked great.

Please help with decision as I must get the job done. Contractors are all over the board: 1.5 to 2.5 ton units, zone and not zone basement and 2nd story, place heat pump in attic and under house as is present location.

Comments (2)