SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresa_clementi

Living Room Too Matchy-Matchy? How To Add Color?

Theresa Doan
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all,

After struggling for about a year on how to layout and decorate our living room in our first house, I decided to mount our TV, install built-in cabinets and floating shelves. I was advised to use symmetry to help balance the room, which is why there's 2 chairs on either side of the TV and 2 end tables on either end of the couch. I was happy with this for a while (my goal for the space is to be comfy and cozy) but now I'm wondering:

1) if the space is too "matchy-matchy"? (because of all gray furniture and maybe the symmetry doesn't make it visually interesting).

2) how to add color to the room. I realized, unintentionally, that the main colors of the room are gray, black, white and tan. I have some green in there because of our plants and for holidays, I bring other colors in with our seasonal decor (red/orange for fall, red/blue for Christmas). But the rest of the year, especially on cloudy days, the room can seem a little plain. Ideas for accent colors and how to incorporate? Maybe different pillows for couch and chairs?

OR is the room fine as is and I'm just overthinking things and self-sabotaging. lol

Below are some pictures (as you can see our dog, Tessa, really likes it) TIA!

Editing to add in since a lot of people have suggested lamps and I agree! I have a light on the fan and then a small lamp on the built-in behind our dog. However, I only have 2 outlets in the room. If you are looking at the above picture, one is behind the left gray chair and the other is to the right of the couch. Currently that plug is full (has the surround sound speaker and a portable heater).

Comments (58)