SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
galbreath

Dining room layout advice (including wall sconce placement)

Autumn Galbreath
4 years ago

I have a couple of placement questions. These wall sconces (which I absolutely love - not really looking for feedback on the sconces themselves) were flanking the dining room window. I had to take them down when I got this old phone booth and put it in the corner. My questions now are:

1) Does the phone booth need to be centered on its side of the window, or pushed into the corner like it is now?

2) More difficult question - where can I put these sconces?

a) Can I use them on either side of the doorway since the doorway is not centered? Would that look weird? And if I do that, would I put a piece of art to the right of the right sconce, to try to even out the wider part of that wall?

b) Can I use one of them alone somewhere in this room?

c) Can I mount them both at a diagonal on the wide side of the doorway - almost as art? (I've never seen anything like this, so it might look terrible - just grasping for ideas)

d) Or do I have to give them up, which I don't want to do?

Cannot figure this out and I've asked everyone who has come in my house recently, with no good ideas yet. I'm hoping the Houzz hive-mind can help me!

Thanks!!

NOTE: Our entire house is a very eclectic mix of modern, traditional, and funky, so the mix of styles in this room fits with that.....

Comments (3)