SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielburns

Advice Needed for New Kitchen Layout (pics and plans included!)

danielburns
5 years ago

We just moved into a great little house with potential. We have a small, somewhat awkward kitchen, so one of the first things we're looking at is updating the kitchen with a better layout and maximizing the space on that floor.

I have scale drawings attached showing the current floorpan to scale and my idea on a new approach. Also I thought pictures may be valuable. Pics are from the real estate listing. Not our style, not our stuff. We're buying a lot of new stuff as we renovate.

We're a family of four. Two kids, one 5 and one 10. Wife and I both love to cook and share the responsibility equally. Kids will also help out in the kitchen and our oldest loves to bake by herself.

We see the kitchen as a place for many things. Definitely a place where we make dinner every night. Kids doing homework at the island while we cook, comfortable place for people to gather during parties. Our parties are not formal gatherings.

If it matters, we're strongly considering Barker Cabinets so we can size things perfectly, but definitely open to others. Shaker style cabinets, (and sorry to disappoint you, but probably transitional / modern farmhouse style. I know, I know) New wood floors are coming too.

We just repainted so the pics aren't accurate in that way. Walls are now Sherman Williams City Loft 7631 and Anew Gray 7030 accent on the sink wall if that matters.

Ceilings are vaulted from the stove wall.

Our new fridge is counter depth, 36" wide - Frigidaire LGHD2369TF.

Our new stove is a slide-in 30" wide - Frigidaire LFGH3054UF

Currently the floor is divided by a wall that is supposed to delineate the kitchen from a more formal living room. We don't really need a formal living room as we have a family room.

I think it might be nice to take down this funky wall and pantry and add an island with all new cabinets and countertops.

The dining area is currently next to the kitchen. But an island with counter space and seating would feel really good to us and provide us with casual dining seating options for breakfast lunch and quick dinners. And on the half-wall on the other side we feel would be best served with base cabinets and a buffet w/ counter top.

I really don't want to move the sink or dishwasher, but would definitely consider it if it made sense.

I don't want to change exterior windows and doors.

We just ran a gas line and bought a new stove. We can move the stove a few feet from its current location on that wall. I don't see an opportunity for a wall oven. But the range could move to the island?

There's a funky little wall thing that houses furnace exhaust going out to the roof. I was planning on cutting out a section of a pantry cabinet to cover that. Not sure if I can do away with that entirely by rerouting outside sooner.

Is that island too big?

The fridge seems best placed in that one spot on the proposed floorpan, yes?

How big of a dining room table can we put in the new dining space?

I hope I provided enough info to get started. I did my best to follow Buehl's recommendations.

Thank you for reading this and helping out if you can. Your critique is welcomed. You can't hurt my feelings here. I just want to get to the best kitchen possible for this weird space.

Comments (22)