SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allana_d_amico

Difficult dining room layout, high ceilings and no free walls

Lane D
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I love my new dining room, but I'm having trouble incorporating storage because of the layout. One end has a natural focal point, the fireplace, but furniture can't go on either side because of a window/radiator to the left and an outward opening door to the right. The opposite wall (not pictured) doesn't allow storage either since it has doorways on both ends and that side of the room is essentially a high traffic hallway. That leaves 2 partial walls to work with, but they both have windows or doors on either side, and they aren't even centered in the room or in relation to each other, because of the varying door and window dimensions. Complicating all of this are the high ceilings, which are great, but they make my standing cabinet seem awkwardly short (I've tried it on both walls). I know I need to replace the white cupboard (definitely too short) and possibly the standing cabinet, but I am just stumped about how to make the room functional (I need the storage) without feeling clunky or cluttered. Built ins, besides being expensive, would also throw off the symmetry of the room in relation to the fireplace and other features. Oh yeah, and that box in the corner is my daughter's play house, it can move for events but kinda has to live somewhere in this room when not in use. Any help much appreciated, I am totally stuck! P.s. Click on each photo to see original images (some looked stretched or cropped when I checked this post on my phone).

Comments (32)