SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielle_moysagatto

Galley Kitchen to Open Space Design Difficulty

4 years ago

I bought a Spanish home with vaulted T&G, beamed ceilings on the main level. It presently has a galley kitchen with a soffit ceiling neighboring a large but awkwardly rectangular family room. I want an open, chef’s kitchen that won’t separate me from my family while I cook. Aesthetic would be white and bright with a very traditional style (we’ll fix the ceiling aesthetic as we go)

This is the floor plan minus the offending dividing wall that a designer gave me. But no matter how I push around my kitchen pieces and my couches (I have 2 8’ couches that are 42” deep), I can’t figure out a workable solution for my kitchen... or I can’t figure out a family room that leaves a logical place for the tv...

I really, deeply appreciate any insight into making this WORK that you can offer. My kitchen is about 40yrs old and it wasn’t good to begin with and hasn’t gotten better with age lol

A few things to note:
*I have a big family and badly want 2 dishwashers, 2 sinks, and a double oven wolf range.
*The present pantry extends 5’10” deep. It borders a niche presently (marked wine) that is the backside of my dining room. The niche and the pantry do not need to stay as presently depicted and I don’t have to have wine storage.
*The doors adjacent to them open to the formal dining room.
*The double doors adjacent to the powder room are the top/rear view of a formal grand entry and are centered vs the family room fireplace and vs the front doors of the home. Figuring out a way to not put kitchen work area in the sight line of the front doors is one of the things making my brain crazy, because that would remove some grandeur from the formal entry. I’m ok resizing the opening if I can still keep it centered. I’m also ok pulling that entry back towards the front of the house, but worry about the bathroom access ending up looking into the kitchen...

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022