SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joanjean1

Help my library is too dark!

cormier designs
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago
  1. We are working on our home library but the chairs seems way too dark in the room. Painting the wood is not an option. How can I lighten the room? We are still working on it.
  2. Please help me with rug, coffee table/ottoman and drapes. the windows will have shutters. Any advise welcome.

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

So you think it is too dark and now you want to add shutters to block a little more light. No shutters, for starters get a lighter colored rug , get a glass and brass coffee table. What is behind the chest piece. The drapes look to be a good color and if that is a window behind the chest then add a roman shade in the same fabric as the drapes no blinds I don’t see the whole room but usually good lighting is essential in a library also a good tidy up for the bookshelves .

cormier designs thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Jilly
    4 years ago

I like your chairs, it’s a nice room!

I think a lighter rug would make a difference. I mocked up a few different colors and styles to give an idea (some I had to use square) ...

Going in a different direction, using a natural fiber rug for texture and a touch of eclectic feel in a nicely traditional room.

• Related Discussions

ok My Daughter Colored My Hair,Too Dark(help

Q

Comments (11)
    This really happened to me. I colored my hair golden blond at home and didn't like the color. So I went to the beauty supply store and bought something called "color remover". I thought it would restore my hair to its natural original color. NOT. It stripped it to a nasty gray-white. I headed to the nearest beauty salon and the operator said "You've ruined your hair." She applied an ash blond toner or rinse which then turned my hair gray. I hated it! Took about a year till my own hair grew out.Now I only have my hair professionally colored.
    ...See More

is my grout too dark?

Q

Comments (41)
    aww y'all are too sweet. I definitely wanted the more vintage look than modern. my counter top is honed granite. since I have a whopping area I got some remnants. sink, counter top and install was $800 total. MVP Granite and Flooring is the place I got my sink and counter top. They were ok. I felt a bit snubbed and unwanted since I was such a small job. I went with all the GW suggestions to get honed and the 311 sealer. I must say no stains yet! and if there are any etches I dont see them. stainless covers. hmm didnt think about that. will have to look into that too.
    ...See More

Help my library select books!

Q

Comments (21)
    I agree with the thought of buying cookbooks. Can't do without a classic like "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" by Julia Child, I think there's two volumes (her biography is good too). The Martha Stewart Living cookbooks are incredible, I've never had anything out of those books not turn out fabulous. Cole's "Cooking A to Z" is an awesome technical book that any novice can follow and learn from. The Foodnetwork stars cookbooks are popular, but they tend to be faddish so I don't know how long they would stay current in circulation. The best in my opinion would be the ones by Paula Deen, Ina Garten, and Giada DeLaurentis, following them is Tyler Florence and Rachael Ray who are very popular with the younger crowd. If you like Louisiana style cooking Emeril is for you, but I'm not personally fond of his recipes. Other non-foodnetwork cookbooks I love are by Sarah Foster and Nigella Lawson (her "How to Eat" is the best one). Of course we can't leave out the "Cook's Illustrated" cookbooks, they possible have the best test kitchen in America and the cookbooks are fabulous. I forbid you to buy any cookbooks by Sandra Lee or Robin Miller, those aren't "cookbooks".
    ...See More

I painted my house too dark!!!!!

Q

Comments (29)
    Toss some brass carriage house hardware on the garage door. Then find two matching footed pots in the same tone for either side of the garage door. Put foliage in the pots that compliments or matches the door. This will soften the starkness of the grey expanse. You are fine here a few flowers maybe a bench on the lawn with the same brass trim and you are good. You want the aged brass not the blackened or bright. Moms are like that. They picture all their daughters in white houses with flowered arbors and precious picket fences. Your life, your choices just tell her you love her and value her.
    ...See More
  • Jilly
    4 years ago

Love the table Patricia posted! That would look great in there.

cormier designs thanked Jilly
  • Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

I agree with what Patricia Colwell said, especially about not getting the shutters. That would be going in the wrong direction. Except I do not agree with Patricia's rug choice (sorry), but do agree the rug needs to be lighter. I like the last rug that Jinx posted. It is more current both in material and in shape/size. The one you have now is more grandma.

While the dark armchairs do suck the light, armchairs are very expensive, and this is a library after all and those chairs are library-type chairs and look comfortable. I would hesitate to change the chairs out before doing the other changes that Patricia said and see whether those do the trick. Also, I would remove one chair and see the effect that has. The four chairs look crowded which makes the room feel close.

cormier designs thanked Shannon_WI
  • Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

One more thing - bookshelves look best with some space on them. Do you need everything on those shelves, or can about a third (maybe more) of them go? When you clear some, try to have some books laying flat on the shelves, interspersed with books standing up, interspersed with a couple (not a lot) of small decorative pieces if you have them.

Article about Stylish Ideas for Arranging Bookcases

cormier designs thanked Shannon_WI
  • Jilly
    4 years ago

I went wild and added a faux zebra cowhide on top of the jute rug. I was inspired by the black cabinet.

Ok, ok, I’ll see myself out. :D

• Michelle misses Sophie
    4 years ago

I happen to like that zebra rug (and a jute or seagrass one underneath)!

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

Sorry, animal on the floor not for me, and they are a pain to vacuum. I think the one underneath you suggested is great on its own, but of course this is personal taste. Just my $.02!

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    4 years ago

I prefer the larger rectangular rugs as opposed to the round rugs. Also agree to work on the book shelves to style them and leave some open spaces. The round brass and glass table would look great too. The white blinds behind the chest is really throwing off the room. What is behind them?

• Jilly
    4 years ago

Yes, I have two cowhides and have to vacuum with the brush attachment. One of our cats has this fun habit of running straight from the litter box to my dark brown one, two rooms over, and leaving nice litter debris all over it. It’s the most bizarre thing. I had a long talk with her, and she flicked her tail at me as she walked off. The human equivalent of a hair flip. :D

I do like the look, and especially with a table like Patricia posted. Gives off a cool vibe of being vintage AND updated at the same time. But it might be a direction the OP doesn’t want to go. :)

• likewhatyoudo
    4 years ago

Great job with the mock ups jinx! I like the ones with the rectangular rugs best! that one with animal print looks really good it never would’ve occurred to me to try that! The only thing I might add is to use a plant and maybe some lighter colored books on the coffee table.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Lighter rug and lighter table will go a looooong way!

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Jinxy rocks it, as usual! I LOVE the faux zebra, and think it adds just the right touch of levity to what otherwise appears to be a beautiful but somewhat somber room. And not that you particularly want to look like you go on hunting safaris (God forbid), but the idea of an exotic skin does lend itself well to a library, in which you generally want to convey the idea of being well-read and well-traveled.

cormier designs thanked IdaClaire
  • User
    4 years ago

Is there more to your library than just a couple of shelves of books? Is that a window behind that piece of furniture between the two book shelves? If so, why is it blocked out? If that is a window as it looks like it is, maybe, possibly, just possibly you could put a window seat in there, or position one of those big chairs into using that space. Or, just leave the space open. The rest of the room is tight with the large chairs. At least get rid of that piece of black furniture open that window. Do you really use it as a library or is it just more of a living room, sitting room?

If that is a window back there you really need to open it up. That would do a lot towards bringing in light and open things up. That should be the first thing that you do, and the second is to get rid of that black table. It just looks so old and dark and weighs things down, visually.

• eastautumn
    4 years ago

Such a cool room! You've already gotten excellent suggestions and mock-ups-- I especially love the rectangular rugs, and though I'm not generally an animal skin person I do love that mock-up! I also like Patricia's suggestion for a coffee table (or something like it). I also agree that adding another reading light source (or 2) would be great. I don't think you need to get rid of any books to make room for "stuff", but neatening them up wouldn't hurt.

Though the color of the drapes is fine, there's something about the way they're hung that doesn't look quite right. Are they missing some curtain rings maybe?

Hope you'll update us with whatever you decide. I'd also love to know if that's a window between the 2 shelves. If so, I like Patricia's idea to do a roman shade in a fabric to match the drapes.

• PRO
    cormier designs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone. I actually love all the rugs jinx chose and I like Patricia's coffee table. I have this cowhide. The coffee table is a 40in table so it is way too big so it makes the room feel cluttered. I removed the big table and grandma rug ;). I have added lamps to the list. That is not a lamp on the chest that is a candle.

Behind the chest is a window that overlooks our driveway my neighbors garage and driveway Nothing worth looking at :(

How about this table. this is a 32in table much smaller.

The library shelved will be arranged; it is a hot mess right now

• Jilly
    4 years ago

I love your cowhide! Wow, that looks so good in there! I like your brass table, I think it fits the aesthetic perfectly. Fun watching the room come together!

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Consider a heavy texture light colored rug. A jute or a wool that looks like jute or a geoprint. You could do something more colorful if you like. Just keep it light. Not so library typical. Add at least one brass reading lamp for light and gleam. Can you relocate those two torchieres or perhaps there is a better way to place them in your space? What is on the wall we cannot see? Organize and space shelves,reduce clutter. Now the fun parts....pick an accent colour (s). Weave it through the room on your windows, a pillow or throw, and a small accessory or two. I would find a print for the curtains. Maybe a block print in a coral with a fair bit of cream background. Of course blue/white with a jolt of sharp green is fresh and very classic. Add a living plant or two. A round glass table would work, so could an airy ottoman as below.

For MJ · More Info

Do you plan on keeping the area above the chest closed off with shutters or would a roman to match the drapes suit you? Just curious....

Also, I'd hang the curtain rod higher and wider than where it is now.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

I love round rug that Patricia found. I would go with light drapes as well.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I love the cowhide, but would keep your current table. To me, it has a more masculine look than any of the others shared here, and I'd want to retain that feel for the space.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

here is my mocking up with round storage table

cormier designs thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    4 years ago

Most of the suggestions I was going to make have already been made. a lighter rug for sure. and I would replace the dark wood round table with something in a lighter color with a glass top. I like the round one with the brass and glass. I'm not sure about the black cabinet in front of the window. I would consider replacing that with a small open console table or a small shallow desk with skinny legs. you could put a vase of flowers or a table lamp on that, as well as a few of the extra books. Maybe the lamp could be brass or have breast trim. I don't have any problem with the bookcases looking full because this is a library and it's for books. Lastly since it sounded like you needed more late, I suggest some skinny Pharmacy type lamps in a warm brass that won't take up much floor space.

cormier designs thanked Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
  • Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    4 years ago

That was supposed to be brass trim not breast trim. I don't know how to edit comments. Wish someone would enlighten me.

cormier designs thanked Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
  • PRO
    cormier designs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks celery girl. It does not really have the look I would like in the space. Ok here are the changes

I moved the chest to the living room.

• PRO
    cormier designs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks nancy across from your user name upper right corner of your post there is delete and edit.

Is it better without the chest? I prefer it without the chairs in the window.

• lizziesma
    4 years ago

I do like it without the chest; thumbs up to cowhide rug. Even though you have no view, blinds up really give you more light.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    4 years ago

You could to top-down/bottom-up shades on the windows. That way you get the light but not the view of the mesh fence.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago

Absolutely no black chest. It adds to the crowded and dark feel. If you feel you must, you could put shutters on the bottom half of that window to block an unsavory view. But not the whole window.

I like your chairs and your grandma rug.

cormier designs thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • User
    4 years ago

The suggestion of top down shades is a good one. You can get the honeycomb shades in all manner of light and view filtering options. You really can't just live with your windows all closed up all the time. Why have a window if it always hidden? And the more you can uncover the other window the better. Bring all of that in tighter with neat shades. Lighten them both up with some nice top down shades and bring them to match.

Your chairs are nice but there are a lot of them for such a small space and there is no where to get comfortable and put your feet up. One tends to slide out of slick leather chairs. They really don't look very comfortable . And how would one read with no lamp?

You refer to it as the library, yet there is not much there that adds up to it's actually being a library, a comfortable place to read or relax, nor do you have very many books or shelves.

It all looks pretty stiff, cold, dark and very brown, and not inviting to be there even with the window opened. Surely you have invested in your chairs, but a softer squishy and more inviting small sofa, a place to put your feet, a reclining chair, some very small tables and some floor lamps would be much more inviting, And a fabric upholstery could add some brightness and color and soft warmth to your room. A place to get comfortable with your iPad is a must for modern life. There is none of that in the room, either.

It seems to be in imitation of a public reading room where you don't want folks to get too comfortable and they plan to stay only a while, sit up straight and read a bit. But, this is your home where you live and it should be more comfortable, warm, soft and inviting. It is none of that. This looks more like you are planning to have some sort of meeting and no one is expected to linger after. Do you really expect to have four people all sitting upright and quietly reading all at once?

Your problem with your room is not just light, rather it is in your concept of the room both as to the use and purpose. Nothing here speaks the language of a library or warmth or invitation. Two small built in shelves do not add up to a library. There cannot be much there and it does not look as if it is a valued collection of importance with any order to it. Certainly nothing enough to build a library around.

The room looks small and very likely intended to be more of a home office, perhaps? It certainly looks good for a nice desk and a couple of comfortable chairs.

Perhaps you don't need such a formal space to read. If you really do a lot of reading do you really want to sit and read straight up in a cold and hard chair with your feet flat on the floor?

I am sorry if you feel that my opinion is harsh criticism. But, you did ask for advice from strangers.

One more suggestion and it is about that view outside the window. I don't know where you are in the world, but if the climate permits you could, perhaps, change that view of the wire fence by adorning the fence with hanging planters of flowers, in season. Or, establish some sort of trellis type of garden structure that sits in front of the fence. It is really the fence, itself, that seems to be the offender. And, it looks as if the fence may be your fence. You would only need to do this on the part of the fence that is in view. As to the driveway gate, you are just going to have to accept that that is where you live and that is what it looks like outside.

You are not living in some 19th century manor house. It does not look like formal gardens outside the windows and you don't have an old world library full of heavy leather and wild animal skins from your safaris.

Don't fight it. Embrace the reality. It looks like a nice room with possibilities.

• eastautumn
    4 years ago

Really dallasannie? Who says you can't curl up and get comfortable in a leather chair? As I type this, I'm curled up on a leather sofa with a blanket and a cat (for added warmth) on my lap. Unless you are a large and/or un-flexible person, those chairs look plenty inviting for getting cozy with a book or electronic device. As joanjean has chosen those chairs for her home, I'm going to assume they are comfortable for the family unless she states otherwise. I'm also going to assume, from the fact that joanjean has a library room (and there is no minimum number of books to constitute a home library), that she also has a family that enjoys books and reading together.

joanjean, I love the first pictures in your last post, with the light coming in from the window without a chair or chest blocking it. If you have shutters already (sounds like you might from your first post), you could try putting them on the bottoms but opening the slats to an angle that allows the light through while concealing the view. Shutters can be great for that, and would have a more handsome look for your room than top down blinds I think. You could also try sheers that obscure the view without blocking light. I made linen panels for our living room windows to provide privacy from our neighbor's front porch without blocking light.

I love the cowhide rug and the idea of a less heavy coffee table, or maybe poufs or side tables depending on what would function best for you and your family.

cormier designs thanked eastautumn
  • PRO
    cormier designs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dallasannie, thanks for your input. However, the fact is I already have the chairs so suggesting other seating is not helpful. My question was how do I improve what I do have.

Also focusing on what I call the room is pointless and adds nothing to the conversation. The 1930's plans for the house refers to the room as a Library we chose to call it our library. My books are mostly medical books. What someone choses to build a library around is a personal choice. And yes when I do sit and read I read with both my feet planted flat to the floor. We had a desk in the room and did not use the room. So we figured if we put four chairs in we could read or play cards etc rather than going to the basement.

I agree the room is not inviting. That is why I am here. You are telling me what I already know. I know that the shelves are disorganized that was not the issue I asked about. I know there are no lamps etc. in the room. It is not a finished room. I asked for help with the room because we have just started working on the room two days ago.

The fence is horrible both the fence and the driveway will be replaced. There is no need for me to accept that as my reality. There are no formal gardens on that side of the house but there are formal gardens in the front and other side of the house.

My home may not be a 19th century manor house but it is our Historic Georgian Colonial that we are trying to restore to our liking.

Again, I do appreciate your opinion for the most part. And by the way the chairs are very comfortable; I just hate the color.

I love this room:

This room is 9ft by 10ft with four chairs. My room is 10.5 ft by 11ft and my chairs are smaller.

Thanks everyone for their input.

I will keep working on the room. Currently trying to find a rug. The cowhide will go back to the basement with the round coffee table. I will post an update in a few weeks.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Actually, joanjean, the room is by no means UNinviting. You have excellent bones already, and I think all you really need are a few tweaks to make your library a wonderful place where you and your family will enjoy spending time. I believe most of us feel you are off to a great start with what you have already. Keep us posted!

cormier designs thanked IdaClaire
  • Dawn Martinez
    4 years ago

No sure what the rest of your home is like, any thoughts about a neutral modern wool rug...?

cormier designs thanked Dawn Martinez
  • partim
    4 years ago

I think the room is inviting, especially the beautiful woodwork. (I expect Sherlock Holmes to walk in any minute - Benedict Cumberbatch version, please.) To my eye the chairs look well-shaped for sitting and reading - chairs don't need to be overstuffed if they are the right shape for a human body.

An easy way to block the driveway view would be to cover the bottom panes of glass with frosted film. It lets most of the light through and is easy to apply and remove. It could be plain or decorative, even faux leaded glass.

For your bookshelves, I like the tidy look of books pulled forward to line up with the front of the shelf, whether the books are upright or on their sides. My bookshelves have books and that's all.

Lovely room.

cormier designs thanked partim
  • tsjmjh
    4 years ago

I like the idea of (off) white shutters and then no drapes. I would go with a big loopy wool rug with a hint of color. I had one that Safavieh called "Dhurries Bohemian Loop" and something like that would, I think, look good with your chairs. Again, in light shades.

I don't know if your bookcases can't be "touched" but I put peel and stick wallpaper in the backs of mine which added some color; it's not "look at me" because it's behind the books and other items on the shelves. A few subtle additions of color will help draw your eye away some from the chair color you don't like. Maybe some soft pastel throws on the chairs?

My dream room has always been one like yours, with chairs around a table or ottoman. Also I want high ceilings and rolling ladder to get to the books way at the top.

Good luck !

cormier designs thanked tsjmjh
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Good that you're getting rid of that CLF outside the window! It is the one item that lowers property values the most. This reminded me of the direction you're going. Maybe a chandelier above the TBD table would add some light (pun intended.)

Cameron Cove Ravines · More Info

• PRO
    cormier designs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

decoenthusiaste, LOL that is definitely not what I had in mind :)

there is the light that is original to the room I will leave it in place.

Tsjmjh, I will add some pillows to the chair to tone down all the brown. I want to wait until I find the rug before I get pillows and drapes and ottoman/coffee table. unfortunately, our ceiling height is only 8.5 ft. :(