OT where I live

Islay Corbel
SaveComment33Like4
Comments (33)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

Looks awful. Couldn’t pay me enough. Not envious at all.

(Ok maybe just a teeny bit!)

Save     Thanked by Islay Corbel
sweet_betsy No AL Z7

How absolutely beautiful! That was worth getting up for.

nancyofnc

Just gorgeous! Thanks for the OT, Islay!!! Made my day with it being sad gray and rainy for me here today.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Islay Corbel
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Not OT.

Food taste better if enjoyed in a nicer environment.

Definitely on topic.

dcarch

Jasdip

WOW!!! I had to search Bretagne, as I had no idea where the location is. Northwest France. Just gorgeous, Islay (as you very well know). What a marvelous place to live and vacation.

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)

My ex's family is from Bretagne making my daughter half-Breton. She looks Irish and she didn't get that from me! Bretons

Lars

There was enough food in the video to make it on topic.

I found this page from the link at the end. I had never considered visiting Bretagne before, but I knew where it was from French classes.

lisaam

I am now further inspired to make the buckwheat crepe recipe with white beans and mushrooms. Only the crepe part is breton, but the shot of the warm crepe being spread with butter(?) was hunger inducing!

CA Kate z9

Beautiful video. Thanks for sharing.

Lars

I have buckwheat flour in the freezer - perhaps I should also make buckwheat crêpes. I have only used buckwheat flour to make noodles so far, but I prefer crêpes.

Solsthumper

Legendary!

With all the tourists who might soon inundate Bretagne, I wouldn’t know whether to put up a *No Vacancy* sign—or, leave a light on?

It’s not easy being an ambivert. Best of luck either way.

Sol

lisaam

Lars, buckwheat pancakes too! Serve with sautéed apples just lightly sweetened. And to continue the pancake theme blini with Greek yogurt and smoked trout. There's almost always buckwheat flour in my fridge or freezer.

Sooz

Lovely! Thanks for sharing!

annie1992

That's beautiful, Islay. Thanks for the peek at your part of the world!

Annie

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Thank you for taking me on a wonderful journey, away from the gloom of the dismal weather we're experiencing!

bcskye

So beautiful! Thank you for giving us a bright spot in our day.

Madonna

plllog

I've actually travelled through your area briefly. Definitely a part of Europe I'd be happy to revisit and explore in depth.

To return the favor, here's a traveller's view of California.

neely

So beautiful, and there’s French food to go with it all!!! Envy is my name.

Islay Corbel

Thank you all, and plllog for the lovely film. The difference is the size! Everything your way is so big lol California is bigger than England!

I find many places in the US intimidating because of the sheer volume, but your big skies are amazing.

In Europe people are often curious as to why so many Americans don't have a passport, but after a couple of visits it's obvious. You have everything on your own doorstep.

Great Britain is great, but the climate isn't, France has the advantage there, as well as the food, the wine...... and brittany is really lovely. The history is interesting....all about celts some Irish, but mainly Scots, Welsh and south western English. Britain is grande Bretagne whereas here, its little Bretagne. It explains the roots.

Crêpes are for sweet things, and buckwheat galettes are for savoury....at least here.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

OK, I'll play. Here's Pure Michigan, but it's only something like 30 seconds long, we don't like to overwhelm people, LOL.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yset_chr_syc_hp&p=pure+michigan+videos+of+michigan+scenery#id=15&vid=73b7e3da8c317e5af62c727e64428aba&action=view

I'm glad that crepes are for sweet things, Islay, as my Grandkids just want them filled with Nutella and sprinkled with powdered sugar. And they want a stack of them, LOL, they can each eat 2 or three.

Annie

plllog

I tried to find a more SoCal local video, but most of them are very specific and narrow in content. California, is big, it's true. People have been talking about slitting it up since the very beginning. I think the Salton Sea and the southern Siskiyous need to stay together. ;)

Islay Corbel

Annie1992, thank you. I had no idea how beautiful Michigan is! It's not somewhere we think of as a holiday destination but it looks amazing, summer and winter.

Any more? I'm loving these!

Save    
Lars

Coachella Valley tour, where we have our second home. You may have to fastforward through much of this video, as it is a bit long. I thought I had a shorter version of this.

Compumom11

Islay you've just added another French destination to my travel list. Thank you for sharing! We've been to Paris and Provence, but need to explore further. Are you seeing the Yellow vest demonstrations in your area too?

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Ahh Annie, you've made me homesick! I grew up in Saginaw and we had a summer camping lot about halfway between Traverse City and Leland.

Now we live in northern Alabama. Everyone thinks of AL as a flat boring place with a tiny bit of coastline. We actually live up close to the top of a mountain. The Appalachian Mountains' southern end extends into AL. There are 3 ways off our mountain; here are the views we get depending on which direction we are headed. The water is the Tennessee River/Lake Guntersville. Beauty in unexpected places!

annie1992

edie, I know where that is! I'm about 90 miles south of Traverse City, and about 50 miles north of Grand Rapids. As for Alabama, I always think of Gulf Shores when I think of Alabama, I have a friend who used to live there, she says it was the "cheap" version of Florida. (grin)

Islay, whether it's beautiful in winter depends on how much you like snow, LOL. We average about 6 or 7 feet of snow a year, but we're good at moving it, so it really doesn't cause much of a problem, especially if you like skiing or ice skating or snowmobiling or winter hiking. And, as Gordon Lightfoot said "Lake Michigan steams like a young man's dreams", it's hot enough in the summer for lots of water sports. No matter where you are in Michigan you are never more than 6 miles from a natural water source or 85 miles from one of the Great Lakes. 65,000 inland lakes and ponds, so fishing and swimming, water skiing, boating, it seems like we spend all summer in the water, like fish! We have more miles of coastline than any state other than Alaska.

Annie

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Islay Corbel
Islay Corbel

Compumom, the yellow vests have all fizzled out really.

Here's a film specific to the town I've lived in for 30 years. Wild horses wouldn't drag me away! Come and see us!

https://youtu.be/c3WhwXdfcTA

2 Likes Save    
Islay Corbel

Lars, thank you. Many years ago we visited your neck of the woods and spent a night in palm springs and went to see those amazing Joshua trees. I loved it all.

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Islay, how beautiful! I'd love to see inside that old stone church. Maybe some day. Thank you for sharing, it brightened a gray day!

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Short commercial from my world,

But now in NYC for most of the year. Snow storm day...seems appropriate.

My lives have contrast.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

The French choir performed this one in front of the French Institute on Bastille Day.

dcarch

Ça c'est du nouveau

Je viens d'y penser

Je veux partir à ta conquête

New York, New York

J'ai comme un grand show au bout des souliers

J'ai mis de l'or à mes paillettes

New York, New York

Je me vois reine
de ce temple de la musique

J'ai tous les rois de la ville
dans le public

Cent mille bravos

Et tous ces bravos croulent de tous côtés

C'est qui claque dans ma tête

Mon vieux New York

Et si j'ai su te plaire c'est à la terre entière

Que je plairais

New York, New York

Islay Corbel

I'm loving it all! Don't we live on an amazing planet? Thank you for letting me travel with you all. Don't stop!

1 Like Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Oh my goodness. I did not see this thread until this morning. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful, breathtaking Bretagne with us, Islay. It made me feel so good this morning just to see it.

And thanks to all for sharing trips to your home places.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fall and Thanksgiving Show Us a Favorite View of Fall Where You Live
How have your yards and views been transformed by fall? Your photo may be featured in an upcoming story!
Full Story
Houzz Call Show Us the First Signs of Fall Where You Live
Share your pictures of the changing season in the Comments. Your photos might be featured in an upcoming story
Full Story
Midcentury Homes See Where America's Most Celebrated Furniture Maker Lived and Worked
Walk with us through the Southern California home and studio of Sam Maloof as events honoring his centennial kick off
Full Story