Need help cleaning up my slow PC

Lea Grabb

I haven't been on for quite awhile, but I used to get help here for my PC problems. I have a HP desk top and I still use Windows 7, 64 bit operating system. Is Zep still around? I use Malware bytes and Avast.

SaveComment10Like
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Lea-

What are the specs on the CPU for that machine and how old is it? There are just so many things you can do to try to speed up an old machine. Often it isn't so much that the machine needs to be cleaned up as the hardware in it can't keep up with the demands from evolving web sites and the requirements of newer software. I had a machine that was running Windows 7 that I finally gave up about a year ago because it just kept slowing down and being wonky regardless of what tweaks and cleanup I did to it. If you haven't cleaned out the cache and cookies lately, that might help a bit, but you should start thinking about a new computer. If you don't have special computing needs (like, say, video editing), you can buy a powerful machine that will meet all your basic needs for $300-400.

Save     Thanked by Lea Grabb
Lea Grabb

Wow, I hadn't thought about that! I don't know how to tell you about the CPU. I did not even realize! This PC is going to be 10 in February! Hate to think about getting a new one!! I did a disk clean up today and checked the disk defrag thing, but it did not need anything.

Save    
kudzu9

If it's about to have it's tenth birthday, it's time to say: "Thank you for your service. You are now retired." Mine was almost 10 when I finally decided I was tired of spending hours trying to get it to run better. As I mentioned, you can get a new one for $300-400 and if you get 10 years out of it the cost will be $30-40 per year. How much is it worth to you to not be frustrated and waste time with a slow and wonky computer?

Lea Grabb

Actually it isn't that much of a problem! The only time I really notice is I spend my evenings on Facebook....and as the evenings come to an end....around 10 or so, I notice that it takes forever to change pages. Other than that it isn't that much of an issue. I just thought it was time to clean it up a bit. I definitely agree, it is time for a new one. I just hate changing...don't know how to pick one out. This PC replaced an HP All-in-one, probably one of the first ones; the screen died...no picture. In researching it was evidently a fluke that all that model experienced. Boy did I hear about "all in ones"!! Now it looks like they are a thing. Must have gotten them fine tuned.

Do you have any suggestions as far as things to look for. I'm not a gamer...just have a few match 3 type games that I like. I do genealogy so I have a lot of files and loads of pictures. This one has 1 T.....whatever that stands for and I was told that is memory. I use Chrome now and never did learn Word but I am the treasurer for a group and need to make reports, etc.

Save    
kudzu9

I presume you are looking for a desktop? My suggestion is to go to dell.com and pick out something in your price range. Given your basic needs, you can't go wrong in buying any of their low cost computers...it will have all you need. You can even get an all-in-one from Dell for as low as $400, which would mean you would probably have a nicer screen than you presently have.

Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

"The only time I really notice is I spend my evenings on Facebook....and
as the evenings come to an end....around 10 or so, I notice that it
takes forever to change pages"

Is it still slow if you restart the browser? ...the computer?

If it is still slow, have you tried running a speed test to see if you're bandwidth is dropping about that time of night?Compare your bandwidth when pages are loading quickly, then again after they slow down.

I use these sites but there are many others: Open Speed Test,Speed Smart and Speed Test

If your bandwidth is the bottleneck, blocking ads might help, at least a little bit.

Ads (plentiful on Facebook) do use bandwidth as well as computer resources.

This is my newest computer. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FQ5WNTS

Specs seemed decent for a non gaming computer. I bought it for my Linux. It was/is quite quick booting and running Linux on the SSD I put in it.

But as it came, it seemed painfully slow booting into Windows. After moving Windows onto a cheap SSD, it was like a whole different machine. Now Windows boots and runs as quick as Linux.

I'm not saying an SSD would help in your case. But if it's not your bandwidth causing the problem, it might make the computer faster in other respects. I have a 10 or more year old Acer in my bedroom with an SSD and it runs okay. Plenty good for browsing and watching videos.

BTW, if you don't have an actual "credit" card (or the cash) or would just like to spread the hurt out a little bit without incurring interest and have had Amazon Prime for awhile you might be able to find one for "5 monthly payments". Here's a nice little Acer for $419.99 or 5 payments of $84. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8WK8VP/

Comes with Windows on an SSD, like it (IMHO) should. It should be plenty fast for a casual user.

mtvhike

For me, the biggest problem with getting a new computer is the need to reinstall all my software, some of which I cannot find the installation disk! For data, that's not so much of a problem. What I do with my desktop(s) is to get a second hard drive and install it in the computer; it becomes my "D:" drive. I put all my data (photos, music, downloads, etc.) on that drive. When it becomes necessary to get a new computer, I transfer that second drive to the new computer. Of course, I still have to install the applications (Office, etc.) but my data is safely available. For a laptop, you can do the same thing with an external hard disk (or, now, you can get a big flash drive)!

If you can, I would go in person to one of the many stores which sell computers and try them out. Costco, Best Buy, Office Max, Staples, etc. are all good candidates.

bengz6westmd

I had the same thoughts as Richard -- I'm retired & usually on the computer mornings & early afternoon. Rarely I will look something up in the evening, and notice the internet is much slower then -- I assume it's traffic/bandwidth. If your browser is OK at times but slow at others, it's prb'ly not the computer/browser, but the internet itself.

badabing2

Here's a laptop with win 10, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD disk for $375. Time for an upgrade.

https://www.techradar.com/news/we-found-the-cheapest-16gb-ram-laptop-with-a-1tb-ssd

kudzu9

Lea- What kind of Internet connection do you have? DSL, cable, satellite dish, or fiber optic? Some cable connections, in particular, can fall off in speed at night because many customers are home from work and sharing the same connection. Does your internet provider guarantee a minimum connection speed? In any case, I think you’re due for a new, inexpensive computer, but the quality of your internet service may be part of the problem.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Feel-Good Home Slow Down and Ease Up: A Sanity-Saving Approach to Life
Why not take the pressure off and live a little more consciously in 2017? The challenging goals can wait
Full Story
Beneficial Insects 7 Reasons Not to Clean Up Your Fall Garden
Before you pluck and rake, consider wildlife, the health of your plants and your own right to relax
Full Story
Bathroom Makeovers See the Clever Tricks That Opened Up This Master Bathroom
A recessed toilet paper holder and cabinets, diagonal large-format tiles, frameless glass and more helped maximize every inch of the space
Full Story