Leftover Fried Flounder

nancyofnc

My DH loves to eat at this local mom and pop restaurant and orders the lightly breaded deep fried flounder fillets every time. He ever only eats one of the two served and they won't do half orders. I take home a box and it sits in the fridge until I toss it a couple of days later. I have though, frozen a few thinking I'll do something with them but -- time comes around to clean the freezer and out they go. I know this will continue since he is just that kind of person. What do you know of to reuse these fishies and not be so wasteful? He does not like leftovers, per se, but transformed into something new he will eat it (as long as I don't tell him it's leftover). Example is that he loves Shepherd's Pot Pie and was appalled that they are made with leftover lamb (now turkey cause of allergies), yesterday's mashed potatoes, and only grudgingly did he eat it. Go figure. He's 80 and to say "set in his ways" about this particularity is it. Love him since this is really the only disruptive argument we ever have, so I count my blessings ten fold. But here I am with 4 frozen flounder fillets and no clue.

SaveComment16Like1
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyjane_gardener

I'm not big on leftover fish either, but how bout some fish tacos?

Save    
seagrass_gw

Flounder is a really thin, small fish. I might try chopping a bit of garlic, onions sweet red belll pepper and mushrooms in the food processor - add the cold leftover fish and pulse just to get it incorporated. Then put into a bowl and hand mix with a beaten egg and some mayo - maybe some finely chopped parsley as well. Stuff into large portobello mushroom caps that you have sauted in some butter and roast until the mushrooms are soft and the stuffing is hot and puffy. Maybe some grated parmesan cheese on top or some cheese in the stuffing itself.

Save    
plllog

Second the taco, or even just a sandwich, with some crunchy veg.

Save    
annie1992

I don't mind leftovers at all, so I usually just stick leftover fish in the oven to reheat and then eat it. However, I've been known to peel the breading off and make dip or chowder from leftover fish, as well as the above mentioned tacos and sandwiches.

Annie

Save    
colleenoz

Fish cakes?

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

That’s what I was going to say. No egg, just a touch of mayo to bind, small amount of additions if you want, panko, fry just to heat through and give a crust.

Save    
Nancy 6b

I was going to say fish cakes. The restaurant I worked at decades ago always served "salmon" croquettes after their Friday fish day. They sold like crazy back then. They did not even peel the breading off. I use crackers in my salmon croquettes, so I guess a similar idea.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

That’s probably better than what I was thinking. I was thinking along the lines of how I often make crab cakes, with no real binder aside from the mayo.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I'm not sure. I think he would be suspicious of a new menu item appearing all of the sudden that has fish in it. : ) Flounder is not as meaty as cod or halibut, or as thick/oily as salmon. Unless most of the breading can be removed easily. Maybe a chowder or bouilliabaisse that has other seafood in it. Flounder is not usually used as it flakes apart so quickly.

Personally I would re-heat in the oven straight from the freezer to prevent overcooking, breading and all. Maybe lay it on top of a chowder. Especially if feeling so wasteful. Cakes I might add it to a 1/2 lb thick cod fillet.

Worth a try. Cakes, croquettes, or chowder.

Have you tried getting it into the freezer asap when home and baking in the oven from frozen? It is sold in groceries in the freezer section. Always says 'do not thaw'.

Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)

The goal is not to cook the fish twice. I would defrost the fish, peel the fried layer of breadcrumbs off (should come off fairly easily), and make a lemon or lemon cream sauce. Once the sauce is done, nestle the fish into the sauce to heat it up. Sprinkle with parsley. I think that would taste pretty good.

Save    
pkramer60

I had some leftover tilapia in the fridge. Lunch was toasted sour dough with tartar sauce and the fish. Yum!

Save    

Good ingredient for the FoodNetwork 'Chopped'. Really depends on the breading. Might just thaw a soggy mess. Fall apart. If you lived next door I would take on the challenge. : )

I've had fried catfish in the south but the breading is often like glue. Different style being such thin fillets. The NorthAtlantic fish-n-chip filets are so thick the batter can be pulled away and easily made into fish cakes.

Save    
tigereye

I would look on this as my own special treat, and wouldn't save it for him at all. Heat in the oven or toaster oven, pop on a bun with tarter sauce and enjoy. Cold with remoulade sauce is great also.

Save    
chipotle

I don't mind leftovers either. In fact, some nights they're a godsend.

Just had a piece of leftover sauteed black drum in a chipotle beurre blanc. 40 seconds in the microwave and it was almost as good as the night served.

Save    

I would look on this as my own special treat, and wouldn't save it for him at all. Heat in the oven or toaster oven, pop on a bun with tarter sauce and enjoy. Cold with remoulade sauce is great also.

Excellent idea.! Toast that bun under the broiler, add the fillet just to heat through barely...

Save    
annie1992

tigereye, I think you had the best idea of all, just eat it yourself and make him something else. Maybe something he likes but you don't care for as much.

I can tell you that if I ever might have leftover lake perch (yeah, like THAT'LL ever happen), I would only begrudgingly share it...

Annie

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design 8 Tips for Harmony in the Kitchen
Tempted to whack your beloved with that improperly cleaned frying pan? Check out these coping strategies instead
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 21 Ways to Waste Less at Home
Whether it's herbs rotting in the fridge or clothes that never get worn, most of us waste too much. Here are ways to make a change
Full Story
Vacation Homes Houzz Tour: Farmhouse Simplicity on the Lake
A north Minnesota lake house is a comfortable getaway for family and friends
Full Story