SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dvd94

I'm feeling sick!! (hardwood floors dilemma)

dvd94
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

For 30+ years I lived with old wax finished hardwood floors in my 100 year old house that were a major ordeal to keep clean - and also impossible to do since past owners had pets that made many messes. For years I went on my hands and knees every few months using stain and paste wax as a band-aid to help make it at least look 'fair' (but it always looked 'poor'). Finally, earlier this year, I decided to bite the bullet and hired a contractor to re-finish all of the floors in the entire house. It was a huge ordeal - including living with my dogs in the garage during the time that the work was being done - since I requested the oil-based poly. Then moving in with friends after the work was done for 3 weeks to let it cure. It looked great when it was all done and I was over the moon in love with my floors! Finally, all I had to do was a quick vacuum and it looked gorgeous!

However, recently my dog was expecting puppies so I covered the floor in the area where they would be whelped and raised with a super thick contractors tarp and covered that with a large piece of rolled linoleum-like material. 8 weeks later I lifted the linoleum and tarp and thought I was going to die. I don't know how moisture got through the tarp and linoleum material -- but it sure did in this one spot. I suspect all will say only refinishing is the only solution -- but I thought I'd throw it out to the community and see if anyone had another idea. boo-hoo!!!!! :-( :-( :-(

Comments (15)