SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_morton8527198

Please help me save a gardenia I may have killed

Linda Morton
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Backstory: last summer, my neighbor gave me a beautiful gardenia she didn’t have space for anymore. I planted it in a large pot and ran out of potting soil and mixed in some garden soil (had no idea what I was doing).

Over the summer it bloomed beautifully, but then when it got really hot in August I neglected to water it... I thought the sprinklers were hitting it because it always looked fine from a distance, but later I realized the leaves had become crispy but remained green, so what looked fine from a distance was actually death.

I broke off the dead leaves, trimmed it a little, began watering by hand, and the rains came (November ish). At some point I gave it some acid fertilizer too. Some tiny new green leaves appeared near the base of the plant and I was relieved... but all of the new leaves developed blackened tips. (Maybe I added the fertilizer after the growth appeared and it was too soon? I don’t quite recall whether I added fertilizer before/after the new growth. I know now it should have been after).

After googling around about it I thought maybe the roots weren’t getting enough oxygen, since what I had potted it in might not have been the best draining and the rains were pretty heavy for a week or two.

So taking a leap, I repotted the whole plant in Al’s gritty mix, washed off the roots and everything. I also added one serving of superthrive. And I moved the plant a few feet back where it would get a little less sun.

That was about 4 weeks ago in December. (I’m in CA so there’s no snow / not much frost). Since then I’ve been watering regularly, but all of the new growth has died. I trimmed back the branches a bit more to check for green and the plant is definitely still alive, but I’m not sure how to stimulate new leaf growth again.

Do I just keep watering and hope for the best?

I feel terrible because I know my neighbor kept this plant alive for 10 years and I unwittingly and ignorantly let this happen.

Hoping someone here can help.

Comments (21)