SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marmiegard_z7b

Birdbath with no cracks/ drainage

last month

When I moved house, I inherited a couple of birdbaths left by the previous owner. For various reasons I’m not motivated to use as birdbaths even though I try to attract birds, to feeders, plantings.

One of them is pretty deep for what I think birds prefer. When we moved here, it was planted with creeping Jenny, which died out, perhaps due due wet/ freezing, or drought, of both. I have a slight cracked small, low birdbath of “my own” that so far is working well for hens& chicks. Since the bath bowl is non- draining, I’ve been reluctant to try to re- plant even with say all gritty mix, because I think it’ll stay soggy/ frozen in winter. And I guess I’m not up for drilling a hole, as would need a masonry bit or something. Then I saw a garden magazine picture of a bowl planter or something, that was set tilted down on some kind of frame. I am wondering whether I want to try to do something like that— probably have to use rocks to prop up— to as interest, or white just try to give it away! Both parts are so heavy I can’t lift by myself. Also, it’s fairly white in color, no real patina, so there’s that. But one could choose plantings & surrounding to mitigate that. Anybody else figured out how to plant a non- draining birdbath bowl?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County