Help me understand this recipe - sourdough related

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)

This has recently become my go to sandwich bread. Basic Sourdough Bread

DH really loves it, the taste is great, and it's relatively easy to cut into thinnish slices.

The problem with the recipe is that it calls for 454 grams of sourdough starter and 1.5 tsps of yeast. The last time I made this bread, the oven spring was a whopping four inches over the top of the pan. It looked like two loaves of bread joined at the top! That's just too much spring! The way I see it is that 454 grams of active starter is way too much even on a good day (especially coupled with yeast), but maybe there is something I don't know. I don't want to rock the boat on a good recipe but 454 grams....really????

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_in_sask

That's a lot of starter. I've never used more than 200g for a single loaf...and the only recipes I've seen for bread that requires both starter and yeast are for one-day bakes. If you have the time to chill overnight, maybe just use the starter? You could also experiment with omitting the yeast or halving the amount of starter.

Save    
plllog

The yeast is for guaranteed success. If your loaf fails, you blame the recipe, and a lot of people looking at KAF have young starters with no legs. It's the total flour and water you have to look at and I'm lost in their mixed measurements. Off the top of my head, it doesn't look that bad for a large loaf. You have the same hydration level as they expect? I think what they mean is make a preferment with your starter, but don't want to scare off newbies.

Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)

I think you are right....that it's meant to be a preferment. I like donna's idea of trying without the yeast next time. It's probably not something most people wish for but I don't want my bread to spring as much as it did!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
The Polite House The Polite House: On Dogs at House Parties and Working With Relatives
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives advice on having dogs at parties and handling a family member’s offer to help with projects
Full Story
Standard Measurements Key Measurements to Help You Design Your Kitchen
Get the ideal kitchen setup by understanding spatial relationships, building dimensions and work zones
Full Story
Landscape Design Understand Your Site Plan for a Better Landscape Design
The site plan is critical for the design of a landscape, but most homeowners find it puzzling. This overview can help
Full Story
With client trust and satisfaction at the heart of our approach to the homebuilding process, Hartley Homebuilding... Read More
Our creative project designs and detailed costing budgets, listing many alternatives and options, allow each... Read More