SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerzeegirl

Bakers - please help me with this recipe

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago
I found a great recipe for bread on the KA web site - it's a whole wheat sourdough sandwich bread. I have made it three times already and I am on my fourth attempt (it is currently rising as I type). Each and every time I have made this recipe I have had to add lots more flour than the recipe calls for. It says you are supposed to end up with a smooth, slightly sticky dough. If you follow the recipe using grams, you end up with this sticky mess which is so unpleasant to touch. I usually add flour to make up for that but today I decided instead to put the dough in the stand mixer and use the exact ingredients the recipe calls for. (Except for the flour. I think is a mistake in the recipe - it says 340 grams but I think they mean 360 grams - 3 cups - which is what I use). Even with the corrected flour, it's still a messy unmanageable dough. This just can't be right. I do not use the whole wheat improver which is optional. I had it in the stand mixer for 20 minutes and it was still loose.
So the question is what do you do when you encounter a sticky dough like this? Do you add more flour or do you just deal with the sticky unpleasantness and try to make it rise?

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/whole-wheat-sourdough-bread-recipe

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting