SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbsim1

Whole Grain Bakers... please help w/ Muffin recipe comparison

gbsim1
13 years ago

I've made this King Arthur BB muffin recipe twice and they were awesome. Wonderful texture ... as good the second day as fresh out of the oven.

Yesterday, I made it again and decided to substitute 1 1/2 cups of White Wheat flour for part of the flour requirement. Used AP for the remaining 3/4 cup. I made no other changes and each time used yogurt not sour cream.

They were gummy and the texture was just "off" and they weren't too good on Day two. Actually tasted more like they were made with white flour than the original recipe did!

I just checked out "King Arthur's Whole Grain Baking" from the library. The BB recipe there keeps bkg powder, soda, butter and eggs the same, increases the total flour and sugar by 1/4 cup each, doubles the salt, and doubles the sour cream/yogurt from 1/2 cup to 1 cup!! Also requires a 1 hour rest before putting in the muffin pans

With more liquid and more sugar, I'd think that recipe two (the KA whole grain one) would be even stickier and have a heavier texture than my attempt. I'll probably be trying recipe two this week, but wanted to know what those of you who are good whole grain bakers think about the differences in these two King Arthur recipes? And how I can have the wonderful muffins that recipe one makes but in whole grain?

Grace

King Arthur Blueberry Muffins (white flour version)

INGREDIENT SECTION

2 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature

3/4 cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt

1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen

coarse white sparkling sugar for garnish (optional)

Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a muffin tin with papers, and grease the papers.

2) In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, then set aside.

3) In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a hand-held or stand mixer, until light, fluffy, and almost white in color. Start the mixer at low speed until the ingredients are incorporated, then gradually increase speed to medium-high until the desired color and texture are reached.

4) Scrape down the bowl to make sure all the butter is incorporated, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

5) Add the vanilla and sour cream or yogurt, and mix until incorporated.

6) Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until the batter is smooth. It will be thick.

7) Fold in the berries by hand.

8) Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups, using a heaping 1/4-cup for each. Sprinkle with regular granulated or coarse white sugar, if desired.

9) Bake the muffins for 18 to 24 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center of one comes out clean. Remove them from the oven, cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan to finish cooling

King Arthur Sour Cream Muffins (BB Whole Grain)

Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat flour (preferably white whole wheat flour)

1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup sour cream

1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) berries or diced peaches

Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and sour cream and mix just until incorporated. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients and mix just until the batter is smooth. The batter will be stiff. Cover the batter and refrigerate at least an hour or overnight.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and arrange rack in middle. Take the batter out of the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature about 15 minutes.

Place cupcake liners in a 12-well muffin pan. Fold the fruit into the muffin batter. Scoop the batter by the 1/4-cupful into the prepared muffin pan. Bake the muffins until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 22 to 26 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a baking rack to finish cooling.

Comments (6)