SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Fruit Cake that Isn't

nancyofnc
4 years ago

Sorting through my pantry I found a lot of dried fruit from last year. Made this "cake" that fits the bill for fruit and nut cake but not fruitcake. Even DH liked it - the hater of fruitcake and is has NO sugar. It is very moist and has the finished look of an upside down cake with a silky apple "topping" that is like frosting but not really sweet.

Apple Walnut Cake with Dried Fruit -no sugar

Chop 1/2 cup walnuts (or more). Cut up and soak 2 cups assorted dried fruit, cover with boiling water to rehydrate for 10 to 30 minutes and drain. (I used dates, golden raisins, apricots, and montmorency sour cherries) Some other options - depending on what is in your pantry - dried cranberries, peaches, pears, figs, pineapple, raisins, though I would not advise using mangoes, bananas, dark cherries, or any kind of berries). Peel 3 apples and cut on the long side about 1/4" thick - I cut down each long side, turn, repeat, so just the core is left and there are good sized slices. Layer 1/2 the biggest apple slices on the bottom of a 8" or 9" spring form pan sprayed with PAM and bottom covered with a parchment round to make it easier to turn out. Chop the rest of the apples a little smaller.

In a medium bowl beat 3-4 eggs and 6-8 tablespoons olive oil with a whisk. Mix in just to combined - 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and any other warm spices like 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, dash of cloves. With a spatula fold in the dried fruit, walnuts, and the rest of the apples - batter is very thick. Spread the mixture over the apple slices. Bake 350F for 1 hour. Let cool 15 minutes then turn out upside down onto a serving plate.

Served warm with whipped cream for me, French vanilla ice cream for DH. Chilled pieces will be heavenly in my very hot breakfast oatmeal tomorrow, for sure.

Comments (3)