Houzz Logo Print

Can you use a different shower trim/valve with a different showerhead

2 years ago

So we bought a Hansgrohe raindance showerhead (Hansgrohe 28433001 Raindance Rainfall AIR 180 Trim). It says it requires a iBox Universal Plus valve that you have to buy separately that goes in the wall behind the showerhead because it has 2 separate functions (rain, rainflow). That makes sense.

The showerhead DOES come with a hansgrohe quattro control valve though. Which I think needs a hansgrohe quattro trim.

The question is... can we just buy separate trim/control valves instead and not use the quattro or is this a mandatory valve for a shower system even when it's not use DIRECTLY on the showerhead?

Because hansgrohe has various different trims that don't use the quattro valves and rather just need a separate iBox valve (Hansgrohe 15763001 Thermostatic Trim 2 Function Finish AND Hansgrohe iBox Universal Leak Preventing Valve Rough-in).

Or can we even go with another manufacturer and use... a grohe trim/control valve

(Grohe 29141000 Grohtherm SmartControl Thermostatic Trim AND Grohe 35601000 Rapido Smartbox Universal Rough-in Box)

I feel like if I call hansgrohe customer service when they reopen Jan 2nd (their customer assistance line is down for New years), they'll just tell me, no. Buy their product. Seems like a simple question.... butttttttt... I feel like nothing is simple when it comes to plumbing.

Comments (2)