SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima_gw

*$(#!!!!!! I ordered the wrong shower valve/trim - what to do?

biondanonima
16 years ago

I am installing a new thermostatic valve in my shower. I chose the Kohler K-679-KS valve with K-T16175-4A trim. Lovely! I thought this was all I needed, but then I checked the Kohler website and it told me that part K-681 (a volume control valve) was also required. So, I ordered that too.

I received all 3 parts today and low and behold, I need ANOTHER trim for the volume control valve. Of course! I was supposed to know that even though the Kohler website did not indicate that there was anything required or recommended to go along with the volume control valve. GRR!

Now, here's the question. I can of course just order the trim that goes with my valve - the simplest and cheapest solution. However, as you'll see in the sketch below, I didn't plan on having a lot of space to install multiple shower control trims (the knee wall is only supposed to extend 14" above the bathtub).

The two trims are of different sizes, so I fear that it would look a little strange to install them next to each other horizontally (as pictured in the sketch). However, I can't stack them without adding to the height of my knee wall (don't really want to) and figuring out a way to make one of their levers point up and the other point down (I'm sure this is doable, although they both point down in all of the photos I've seen).

The other option would be to return everything, pay the 25% restocking fee (OUCH) and order K-680-KS (thermostatic valve with INTEGRATED volume control!!!) and the trim that goes with it (K-T16176-4A). This combo is a bit cheaper than the 4 part combo I would otherwise need, but with shipping and restocking, I'll be out more than a few dollars.

Anyway, WWYD? Also, if anyone has any recommendations for particularly good INTEGRATED thermostatic valves, please let me know! I'd like to stay in the same price range as the Kohler. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

Comments (8)