SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

Survived Christmas Eve

moosemac
4 years ago

So I barely survived another Christmas Eve dinner. For many years I have done a multi-course dinner for a group of friends. This year there were 12 of us. Over the years I have expanded the dinner to 8-9 courses with wine pairings and each year I learn a little more. I know very little about wines other than I drink what I like. Most of the wines we had never tried before which is part of the adventure for the evening. The meal started at 6:30 and ended around 10:15 PM. Everything went according to schedule which made it less stressful.

Things I learned this year:

· I am getting too old to prepare a multi-course meal with the help of a 3 year old. LOL

· Never change the menu once the wines have been decided…oops.

· Any dish with a bone-in component should be 86’d.

· Sure could have used 2 dishwashers to deal with the aftermath avalanche of dishes. OMG my counters looked like the invasion of the wine glasses!

All in all, it was a lovely evening. Some courses were better than others but the conversations were lively and filled with laughter. We have done 8-9 courses for the several years but this year the consensus was next year to cut back to 6 or 7. The vote was to eliminate the poultry and cheese courses. It is a collaborative work in progress…

Here’s the menu with a few of my comments.

French Canadian Onion Soup (Voted best dish of the night. It has been requested for next Christmas Eve dinner.)

Hopler 2018 Gruner Veltliner, Austria (This was the wrong wine pairing for this dish. I had another soup planned and then changed it but forgot to change the wine. the wine was nice, the soup was amazing but together YUCK!)

Boston Bibb Lettuce, Dried Apples, Smoked Cheddar and Pumpkin Seeds with Creamy Cranberry Dressing (The consensus was this combination of ingredients worked very well together.)

Terrazas de Los Andes 2016 Reserva Torrontés, Argentina

Seafood Chops Thermidor (Half of a Maine lobster tail wrapped around a seared sea scallop with Thermidor sauce. The seafood lovers were thrilled.)

Dom Ferret 2017 Pouilly-Fuisse, France (This tied with two other wines for the favorite wine of the night.)

Linguini with Lemon Pesto Della Campagna (My favorite dish)

Cecchi Litorale 2017 Vermentino, Italy (Voted best wine paring of the night.)

Cornish Hen with Calvados and Apples (Voted least favorite dish of the night. Hens were perfectly cooked but the dish was too rich and the bone-in hen pieces were a pain to eat. The best part of this dish is the leftover Calvados. I love a nice snifter of Calvados on a cold evening.)

Talbot 2017 Kali-Hart Pinot Noir, Monterey Central Coast, California (This was a nice Pinot Noir.)

Intermezzo – Orange Sorbet

Herb Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Wild Mushrooms, Baked Stuffed Potatoes, Roasted Baby Carrots, and Baby Peas with Crispy Prosciutto

Duckorn 2016 Paraduxx Proprietary Red, Napa Valley, California (This tied with two other wines for the favorite wine of the night. This is one of my favorite reds.)

Assorted Cheeses with Fresh Figs and Green Grapes

Kim Crawford 2018 Signature Reserve Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand (Our go to wine for many occasions.)

Baron De Ley 2012 Reserva, Rioja, Spain (This was lovely with the stronger cheeses.)

Dessert a Mes Amis (Bare Chocolate Cake supplied by a friend.)

Santa Margherita Prosecco Valdobbiadene, Italy (This tied with two other wines for the favorite wine of the night.)

Comments (14)