SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

I can't fry . . .

l pinkmountain
4 years ago

Luckily most of the time I don't. Every year, I get aggravated with my electric flat topped stove when I try to make latkes. But in general, I find that darn pulsing just doesn't work with frying. One minute it is on and frying too fast so edges are burning, then the next minute it is off and shortly thereafter the latkes are just languishing in the oil, soaking it up. And usually my latkes end up burned on the edges and often not done in the middle. Using my Mom's old electric fryer proved no better. Even though it is a high-end one, it still pulses. I had her old one which didn't seem to do that, but it finally bit the dust after about 30 years.

I have the same problem with breakfast pancakes. Even got a cast iron griddle for the heat distribution, but that still doesn't compensate for the pulsing.

Anyone have an electric fryer they like that doesn't pulse?

Hubs and I are contemplating getting a gas stovetop. The kitchen has a line, but that would involve installing a serious vent. I would be happy with that, but my father will go insane because we're living in his old house and he obsesses about any changes we make. Ultimately I think it will be a great switch even if we don't end up staying since it will add value to the house. Hubs has installed a lot of vents too, so that should be no problem. The time and effort and expense are the downsides that I can see. Any others?

So I guess I'm of two minds--easier would be to know of some techniques to offset the pulsing when frying, or find a really good electric frypan that doesn't have the pulsing issues . . . perhaps no longer exists.

Comments (26)