SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Brunch menu musings

l pinkmountain
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am tentatively planning a brunch some time around New Year's for some old family friends. We're talking folks in their 80's. One will be a friend of my late mother and my former French teacher, who also happens to be from Great Britain/England so I want to have maybe some French or British touches. Nothing too rich or fussy. Not sure if this will pan out, but want to plan ahead anyway. Here's what I'm thinking:

Salmon mousse or cheese souffle. I have made cheese souffle before but not salmon mousse. I thought it might be fun to use one of Mom's old copper molds for the mousse, but I'm not sure if salmon mousse is a fail proof option. It's kinda make ahead though isn't it??

Chopped marinated salad with red, white and green vegetables, served over a bed of lettuce. Like tomato, cuke, cauliflower or cabbage, maybe diced parsnips, green and or red pepper, etc. Or maybe if I don't do the mousse, a marinated seafood salad? I don't have a recipe for that that I have made and liked, so open to suggestions. Or perhaps that fake crab salad with radishes. Radish salad is French . . .

I'm stuck on a third thing. Simple would be a store bought baguette. I don't want something too rich, want to do a cookie tray for dessert. Perhaps this would be a time to try grissini? Or some of those twisty breadsticks with pesto or dried tomato relish. Possibly skip the bread and do green beans almondine which I love.

Tiered cookie tray with maybe some applesauce mini cupcakes with lemon frosting, (I have ingredients for this languishing in fridge) cherry or cranberry orange phyllo tarts (I have never made cranberry orange ones . . . or maybe pear cranberry?) and some shortbread which I already have in the freezer, maybe drizzles with something, and then maybe some chocolate covered cherries or just good chocolates and perhaps some fruit gummies which are Jewish but so are we halfsies, or some chocolate drizzles macaroons. I also have been wanting to try lebkuchen but don't know if I will get it made. Not needed but would be nice if available.

Tea and maybe hot mulled cider with cranberry juice mixed in . . .

Comments (10)