Fully-prepped meal delivery recommendation help, please!

Hoka

I am looking for recommendations for fully-prepped meal delivery companies for an elderly couple whom I'm afraid are decreasingly able to physically get out to shop and then prepare delicious and nutritious meals. No dietary restrictions, in fact, good old meat and potatoes, spaghetti and meatballs are right in their wheelhouse.

Dinner-only needed.

They are in SW Florida.

SaveComment21Like
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Check out Meals on Wheels

Save     Thanked by Hoka
Lucille

I agree, they deliver food but also check on the seniors, it is more than just a food delivery service.

Save     Thanked by Hoka
Hoka

Meals on Wheels is wonderful, but I'm looking for companies like Sun Basket or a local SW FL company. I'm planning to buy them a gift for Christmas and introduce them to dinner meals delivery a few times a week, so they can see if they like it.

They are capable and independent, but would benefit from a service like this. Especially the wife whose husband has early dementia (who is still functioning rather well, but she's doing the lion's share of meals and he doesn't drive anymore).

Ii want to give her a nice treat to ease her work load, and hope that maybe she'll like it and continue service. She would not be open to Meals on Wheels (proud lady).

Save    
Chi

My grandparents live in that area too so I've been looking for similar things for them.

I've heard good things about Freshly, but haven't tried them myself. 29 different meals to choose from this week. Fully cooked and ready to heat up. It's not cheap but less expensive than a restaurant and the cost goes down with the more meals purchased.

https://www.freshly.com/

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Hoka
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

"She would not be open to Meals on Wheels (proud lady)."

Hoka - Meals on Wheels is not a free service. Per the link it is $7 per meal but they do offer financial assistance based on income.

Save    
maddielee

Fully prepped would mean a restaurant delivery to me.

Save    
sushipup1

Meals on wheels should be a free service, they cannot ask for money, per guidelines established by the Older Americans Act, If the local group in the link does not accept OAA money, I guess they can set their own rules. But services of the OAA programs are not needs-tested. Yes, they can ask for donations.

Save    
Hoka

Chi- Fresly has promise, thank you. I see they have an easy option to gift meals. I'm going to check out their meals and service area.

maddielee, me too, but health problems and salt for them!

Save    
morz8

I don't know how Meals on Wheels works in all areas, but in the city where my mother had been living, there was no charge for the home delivered meals. You could pick up meals for a minimal fee at their facility. Please know that there was a waiting list for recipients at the time I was looking into it for her - even if you suspect your friend would look upon it as a handout and not a way to stay healthy, you might want to have information in hand to see how promptly the service could be put into place. A Plan B never hurts.

Save     Thanked by Hoka
cooper8828

Meals on Wheels is different than the home-delivered meals from the senior centers. The names are used kind of interchangeably by many, though.

Save    
ghoghunter

We used Freshly for several weeks and enjoyed it. They do have some regular comfort food type items but a lot of the menu choices are very different and use more modern type ingredients. You can always try it out and see if they like it. They were reliable with deliveries.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Freshly looks promising. I've never heard of it. A nice gift indeed. I like that 'favorite' meals can be chosen on a re-peat basis.

My parents are very set in their ways and frugal. They would find it excessive but one meal would be enough for the two of them. 2/3rd dad, 1/3rd mom ...and she would save a bit for her breakfast. They eat well on their own. Whole fresh foods, grains and sprouted grain breads, in rotation. Very basic. Nibblers.

Big night out for them is a walk to the senior center but more social than for the meal. They use it for yoga classes. Dad does ThaiChi.

I would do Freshly for them but not available in their small town.

Save    
chisue

I don't know if they are in your area, but a couple in our town have launched such a service. They have branches in several states, according to the writeup in a local magazine here near Chicago. They deliver meals packed in dry ice, ready to be microwaved. It's 'just plain food', not elaborate, no preservatives. I think it was $20 - $25 for two servings. Free delivery with an order over $60. It's called Flashbox Kitchens. They have a website. I think they will make a fortune! flashboxkitchens.com

I see you are new to the KT. Surveying?

Save    
Chi

If you try Freshly, make sure you get the coupon! I've seen $30 or $60 off the first two or four weeks.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

You might look into what their local grocery stores offer. Check to see if they deliver groceries. I think I've seen this here lately. I'm not 100% positive. Our HEBs offer fresh not frozen microwave or stick in the oven type meals for around $8. They put these together in-store I think. They offer these as in-store samples and aren't too bad. I had one that was steak and asparagus and maybe potatoes. Others offer salmon or chicken and various sides.

Save    
SEA SEA

Another thing to look into is calling the culinary dept of your local community college to see if any of the instructors or advanced students would be interested in becoming a personal chef type of thing.

In our town, this is a thing and it's how the instructors make ends meet and also practice their love of cooking. Usually, the instructors will prepare 5-7 meals and deliver them on a set date. The food is cooked, packaged and labeled, then put in the customer's freezer or fridge for the days ahead. Microwave heating is all the customer has to do.

It's a nice service if it's available and everyone wins.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I've used several services like Hello Fresh, Blue Apron and Sunbasket. None of them are cooked meals, just the ingredients and recipes. The wife would have to have access to a computer and pick the meals from all those services each week, otherwise they send a selection they pick. Most of those services have odd spices/dishes, not basic meat & potatoes. Sometimes I found choices not to my liking so I would hold a week or two and I think I have a pretty adventurous eating habit. I've seen Hello Fresh boxes recently in Kroger. I've also seen ads on Facebook for precooked meals you pop in the freezer but don't know the names of those companies.

Save    
eandhl2

See if you can find a private chef. I had a friend that did meals often for parties but also just meals . Also around here I believe some grocery stores do full meals.

Save    
sheesh

I am looking for recommendations for fully-prepped meal delivery companies for an elderly couple whom I'm afraid are decreasingly able to physically get out to shop and then prepare delicious and nutritious meals. No dietary restrictions, in fact, good old meat and potatoes, spaghetti and meatballs are right in their wheelhouse.

Dinner-only needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If your friends are cooking still and the issue is getting out and driving, I think they're are better off having groceries delivered to their home than subscribing to a meal service. Freshly is no more than meals you microwave, just like all the frozen meals available in the grocery, and blue apron and the.others require lots of prep and knife handling, as well as close timing.

With delivered groceries they can continue preparing what they like and cook what they're used to eating. Everything is available in the grocery,.from chopped onions,.celery, garlic,.etc, to frozen dinners. Soup to nuts!

Save    
graywings123

Have you considered Diet To Go?

Save    
Helen

Silver Bistro has solid choices and there are discounts with AARP membership. I especially liked their salmon dishes but they have a wide variety of meals.

Silver Bistro Meal Delivery

Freshly has some good meals and you can cycle between that and Silver Bistro

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 9 Real Ways You Can Help After a House Fire
Suggestions from someone who lost her home to fire — and experienced the staggering generosity of community
Full Story
Selling Your House Help for Selling Your Home Faster — and Maybe for More
Prep your home properly before you put it on the market. Learn what tasks are worth the money and the best pros for the jobs
Full Story
Disaster Prep & Recovery 7 Ways to Help Someone Hit by a Hurricane
The best things you can do in the wake of devastation are sometimes the most surprising
Full Story