SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ski4life

Help: Would like a small prep sink into 12x12 kitchen, no island

ski4life
7 years ago

Hi team, please help! I've been asking our designer to fit in a small prep sink with no response, and rough-in plumbing starts in a couple of days. Where would you put one?

It's fine if it's just a very narrow trough sink/tiny bowl that we can just cover with the cut out of the countertop or a cutting board when not in use.

Comments (51)

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I want one so that 2 to 3 cooks can function in the kitchen and when one is cleaning up and washing dishes someone else can be rinsing veggies/filling and emptying pots/getting water/filling & emptying coffee pot, etc. This is a limitation in our current kitchen.
    It was one of our higher priorities, but unfortunately we weren't able to convey that adequately, apparently. There are a few things included in the design that aren't as high priorities for us.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Get a kohler stages sink instead. However your layout isn't the best either.

Your dishwasher will be in the way of your prepping and you have two blind corners which is lots of wasted space in a small kitchen.

If you want a prep sink, do a peninsula. First move the DW to the side between sink and fridge.

Then DO NOT get a downdraft hood. They are useless. Go look in the appliance forum for what I mean and do a search.

I would do an L like this and put a prep sink on the peninsula. There is 48" between sink and end of peninsula and more like 50" between cooktop and peninsula.

• Related Discussions

Small island with prep sink...pictures please

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm not in the FKB, we have a few things left to finish...trim and backsplash. here are some more pictures; My island was supposed to have 2 doors/2 drawers and I wanted the sink to be sideways to make more room for seating, but when it came it had 3 doors/drawers. I couldn't give up the middle drawer, and I didn't want to wait longer, so I decided to live with it as is. My previous island had an 11x12 sink in the same location, but the overhang was only 11" , so at least I knew it would work ok. The person seated behind the sink doesn't get splashed, and there is enough room for a regular dinner plate. i think I will turn the faucet handle to the front though, b/c water does drip on the counter. (sorry, don't know why that last pic is so big!) I will post more info on the under $20,000 thread soon. As you can see we kept our old appliances for now!
    ...See More

Help me decide: prep sink in island-yes or no?

Q

Comments (7)
    sounds like my initial decision was spot on. Dang it, that sink is really pretty! Perky-thank you for your comments. I love the kitchen, but certainly would do a few things differently now. Sophie, will keep in mind the beverage sink idea. We also have yet to do the pantry wall (to the left of the door by the stove), so maybe we could incorporate a sink there, when/if we get to that point. Thank you all for your input.
    ...See More

Prep sink or no prep sink in island?

Q

Comments (35)
    My personal preference is the 1st layout. First for the wall oven. If you cook/bake much then having two ovens, especially gas in the range and electric in the wall, is really really nice. The oven stack can also include a warming drawer and a MW or CSO. Second, for us there'd be no benefit in the second layout. With our layout similar to your first we grab stuff out of the frig and put it on the island as a primary landing zone. From there stuff gets prepped and off to the range or ovens. Then often back to the island for plating or in to a warming drawer. BTW, I'd ignore the work triangle. Great bit of marketing but of little practical benefit. Third, I think a range and hood look better aesthetically when looking from the informal dining. Lighting looks much better. I'd move the two over the sink closer together and ideally over the outside edges of the sink to eliminate shadows in the bowls.
    ...See More

Would like Kitchen Portable cart suggestions for small kitchen

Q

Comments (7)
    Boos has wonderful work tables in depths of 24inches. They have varying lenths, 24, 36, 48 and 60 inches. I purchased a 2x4ft walnut boos butcher block counter piece and added my own legs and skirt and made my own work table for hundreds less than their harvest table. It is not quite as pretty as theirs but it has held up beautifully for many years and we cut, place hot dishes on it and eat breakfast and lunch on it daily. I highly recommend their tops. They have loads of stainless steal options too.
    ...See More
  • ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah. We're pretty bummed about our situation. We hired the arch/designer over 3 months ago, the above layout came out 2 months ago, and our concerns haven't been heard since. We're long distance, might be the issue. But still, it's an expensive and disappointing issue.

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The butcher block is supposed to be for prepping, but I think it's too small.

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

Is this room exactly 12x12'? Where does the cased opening lead to at the bottom of the kitchen?

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

the single door cased opening leads to a hallway connecting to the dogleg stairs up to the bedrooms, out the house from the side/down to the walk out basement, and to the LR. We had hoped to close this off and create an alternate opening, and may still in a future phase. We couldn't due to time and other issues right now.

The room is probably more 12.5" (on main sink side) x 11.5".

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is the elevation of cooktop and wall oven walls.

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is the elevation of West wall.

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

Are the range and the sink in those locations now? I didn't think it was code to have an operable window behind a stove??

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Basically, b/c the clean up and prep areas basically collide, I'm hoping to co-opt a different area for prep.

My husband wants the existing large window on the south wall to not be closed off, similar to so, this would remove the upper cabinets and be nicer for a sink:

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Proposed change to remove upper cabinets/increase window size, perhaps allow for a better spot for prep sink. Thoughts? We had to live in a hotel for a month with the only kitchen sink the size above.

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It is not against code to have a cooktop in front of an operable window where we live. You can find many completed project pics of this here on Houzz. I did initially think the cooktop made more sense on the wall opposite the sink & fridge wall.

Were we to have closed that hallway, I would have wanted the cooktop on that wall and a delicious prep area where the cooktop is now drawn. However, with induction, if the cooktop is not in use you can prep right on top of it with a suitable cutting board.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

If you use a 48" sink with two faucets, you can have prep on each side of the sink, and someone can also load and unload the DW while you are prepping and cooking. I'd skip the butcher block, but you could have a mobile work table which could be housed under the counter beside the DW, when not in use.

Fridge/oven/appliance garage examples:

Pull-out cart--this one slides under the oven in the background:

• Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

I wanted a prep sink in our kitchen but could not find a layout that worked. I ended up with the stages 45 with two faucets and loved that set up. (We recently moved.). I found it worked quite well for two people to use the sink at the same time.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

What does the butcher block have to do with the layout I suggested?

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

mamagoose - your layout is almost the exact one I supplied the arch/designer at the beginning with IKEA kitchen planner after posting about this kitchen many months ago. He thought it too choppy and revised, but having that big fridge at the end of the aisle feels closed off. 36" fridges just feel so massive to me. I've never had one this large.

I think if we close off the hallway (need to open a wall in DR to do so) in future, I'll scootch the fridge over to where the doorway or pantry is now.

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

cpartist - not sure what you mean - butcher block would not be necessary in the layout you suggested. I like it alot! At our stage of the project I'm not sure we could make such a huge change.

I did suggest using more of a galley/peninsula layout at the beginning as an alternative to the U-shape, but arch/designer didn't respond to that suggestion.

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

also researching your Kohler stages and downdraft alternate suggestions. The appliance ppl said downdrafts work better with inductions. I don't have a preference but would love to figure out a wall/ceiling ducted hood that could work with a window. I didn't even realize things could retract electronically or manually. Hummm.

Researching frantically.

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The distance between arms of the U is 7-8 ft which seemed kinda large/inefficient.

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

Why do you think mamas suggestion will be choppy? In my opinion, putting the fridge to the right of the sink closes off the space. Placing both tall structures--wall ovens and fridge--on that wall that is recessed from the kitchen opening keeps the space open. At least from the perspective of the vestibule. Is the vestibule the primary entrance to the kitchen?

Do you still have your Ikea plan like this? If so, I encourage you to cruise around it in 3d mode. I think you'll see that having no vertical obstructions on the sink or range wall is preferred.

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mama goose photos and suggestions are always amazingly en pointe. <3

• cpartist
    7 years ago

The appliance ppl said downdrafts work better with inductions.

Well they must need to meet their Xmas quota because they're full of bull stuff. There is not a stove in the world that works better with downdraft! What horse malarky.

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

Are you eliminating a dining area to add a powder room?

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I like it alot! At our stage of the project I'm not sure we could make such a huge change.

Why not? If you like it better and it works better, wouldn't that be the way to go?

And frankly if your designer hasn't been listening to you, sounds like it's time to find a new designer. Remember you're paying them to do what works best for you.

(Sorry it's the Nu Yawkah in me.)

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

Sorry about your architect frustrations. I can empathize. We had to terminate an architect contract two years ago.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Oh sorry to see construction has started. I guess you're now stuck with his kitchen. If so, get the Kohler stages and a real vent hood.

I like Mama's plan except there would be no landing space next to the fridge.

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

cpartist, no kidding. I'm midwestern and in situations like this it poses a problem.

Benjesbride, thanks for the empathy. The eat-in DR is out of frame - it's 12x12 below the powder connected by 5' wide cased opening. We love it and use it for all meals.

This is our 2nd pro on this project. The first designer was super talented but we didn't really know what we wanted (our fault). She billed by the hour. The architect was so decided and certain how things should go, and lovely work, so we hired.

We since determined that the wall separating the two areas can come down, non-load bearing. Also, architect had a great idea to simply shift the cased openings to the left to make room for the 3'x7.5' powder. No bath on main floor currently.

I drafted up a design (below - gave to architect in August). This was working with the existing openings, except the sink window which doesn't yet exist - it's the old rear stoop door.

P.S. Thanks so much, Houzzers/GardenWebbers

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tried to do a peninsula design with Kitchen Planner & almost died of old age. I'm really visual so the elevations were critical. Agree no landing space, which is why I thought something had to be in the middle.

Why is this so stressful? There are entire countries where people would kill just to have a working kitchen with the very basics.

• dan1888
    7 years ago

I'll throw in a couple options. Wolf 36" induction range will let you delete the wall ovens and still have a 36" induction cooktop. This can help cut down on some boxy-ness with only the frig left.

A downdraft exhaust will always be less efficient than an overhead hood but this is about the most efficient of the downdrafts.Best D49M Downdraft Ventilation

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

Technically... I think the NKBA guideline is that there is a landing space 48" from the center of the fridge, so the counter to the left of the cooktop qualifies as fridge landing space. I think.

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

dan, BEST hq'd in my home state. Had no idea. Now wondering if it even fits behind a 21" deep induction. I asked a local appliance guy about a WOLF. I think it's 10-12K.

• dan1888
    7 years ago

That 10k is before negotiating. You'd be surprised how often a 'floor model' becomes available. You just need to talk to more suppliers until you get a price you can work with to get the deal done. My Miele induction range is $7k with supposedly only a minor builder discount available on Miele. I found one 'new but not installed' for $5300 full warranty delivered. And you aren't buying those two ovens. You get more counter space without them.

The downdraft will totally fit behind a 21" cooktop if you design the counter depth for it. AJ Madison has the install pdf for the dimension info you need. It's built to fit a standard counter, but.....A 1 or 2" deeper than 24" counter doesn't violate any design laws. In my kitchen the 29" counters make work areas many times more enjoyable to use. It's not as easy in a 'U' design, but in yours the counter could just be widened along the back wall. If you want two ovens many like the second to be a Combi-Steam oven like Miele has. It gets plumbed in. People who have one don't use a micro. Miele Combi-Steam Oven They have a long thread in Appliances.

ski4life thanked dan1888
  • User
    7 years ago

"Hi team, please help! I've been asking our designer to fit in a small
    prep sink with no response, and rough-in plumbing starts in a couple of
    days. Where would you put one?
    "

"when one is cleaning up and washing dishes someone else can be rinsing
    veggies/filling and emptying pots/getting water/filling & emptying
    coffee pot, etc."

So it's not really a "prep sink" you want, but a water source big enough to fill small pots (a retractable nozzle would make it possible to fill larger things).

I would call the designer and say halt the project until we get an answer to this question: "Is there any reason we can't have a small sink?"

ski4life thanked User
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

In the plan I posted, would the inclusion of a couple of pull-out
    cutting boards help with the fridge landing? I suggest two, for
    symmetry, and if you aren't using a corner susan between the sink and
    cooktop, a trash pull-out could be housed below (pic to follow):

Or, maybe a pull-out board could be installed under the oven:

With no corner susan, the small cart could be housed to the left of the sink, as deedle's did in her kitchen:

These pics might send your architect over the edge. ;)

ski4life thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • lisapoi
    7 years ago

We have a small kitchen also, but we put in a very small narrow second sink (9" wide x 16" deep). It's big enough to wash vegetables, etc, and to drain pots...it is located right beside the stove and has been very useful. It makes it much easier for two people to work together in a small kitchen, and we have often said to each other how much we really like having that little sink.

if we had more space, I'd make it larger, but still, it works fine as is. Previously, I had only one sink and it was a 1 1/2 bowl sink....hated it. I used the smaller 10" square sink side to was dishes and drain pots...the larger side had a dish rack sitting in it (always) for dishes to drip dry. I figured if I could use a 10" x 10" sink for all my main sink needs for 30 years, then I could handle a 9" x 16" sink for washing veggies and draining pots, LOL.

ski4life thanked lisapoi
  • ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I like this high cabinet to counter transition as well.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/6th-avenue-contemporary-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~2107101

Turning to think through ramifications of each change. I think narrow sink works fine for rinsing veggies with a pullout spray. Looking at plumbing specs for Koehler 45. Using Delta Trinsic or Newport Brass for both faucets - each with pullout.
  • lisapoi
    7 years ago

If you go with a small second sink, I would definitely recommend a faucet with a pullout spout!

ski4life thanked lisapoi
  • scrappy25
    7 years ago

Glancing through this thread, it seems that you are stuck with the cooktop under the window in which case you should definitely deepen your counters to fit the downdraft ventilation. Better still to have overhead island style hood ventilation but not sure how that would look with the window. You have space for the deeper counters and you will LOVE having them by your cooktop, whether or not you have the downdraft ventilation. If you were to have uppers on that wall, deepening them also (ie 15" deep uppers with 30" deep bottoms or 14" uppers with 28" bottoms) will allow you to fit larger items as well.

ditto what others have said about the Stages or another LARGE single sink with two faucets rather than a separate prep sink. I have that in my small kitchen and we have three people prepping sometimes, without having to wait for a faucet. One faucet is on a tapmaster which I also LOVE. Here is a thread to how I use it and all that you can pack in under and around it.

Kitchen cockpit- Stages 45 sink

ps. mammagoose's ideas ARE brilliant.

ski4life thanked scrappy25
  • ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also, we currently have 24" wide double ovens from the 1970s or 80s, one shorter than the other. We love them. Never needed bigger - fits large turkey. If there was a pullout landing I wonder if we could just move them over to the pantry, switch the fridge over to opposite the sink as Mamagoose shows, and then have room for the Kohler 45/a separate dishwasher+dishes area as mamagoose shows.

The wall ovens were always preferable but optional, as was a 36" wide fridge as opposed to, say, a 31" wide that is taller. We lived in Europe for years and the farmers market & grocery store are just blocks away, so we don't need a huge fridge.

• Buehl
    7 years ago

"The wall ovens were always preferable but optional, as was a 36" wide fridge as opposed to, say, a 31" wide that is taller."

Regarding the refrigerator...stick with 36" wide by 70" to 72" tall. Manufacturers in/for the US are standardizing on 36"W x 70" to 72" tall refrigerators as their minimum size offering. Yes, you may find narrower ones here and there, but they're usually low-end of the mainstream refrigerators or very high end manufacturers (e.g., Liebherr).

So, plan for this size space for your refrigerator: 38.5" wide x 72" tall.

• Width: 36" wide + 1.5" for end panels (3/4" on each side) + 1" for air clearance and wiggle room = 38.5"
    • Height: 72" tall

This way, you won't have to either search far and wide for a smaller refrigerator or pay $$$$ for a high-end refrigerator. Periodically over the years we've had people come to either here on the Kitchens forum or the Appliances forum frantically looking for a refrigerator to fit a small space (width and/or height).

If it's a built-in, you don't have to accommodate the end panels b/c a built-in does not need end panels to hide the sides of the refrigerator. Counter-depth and standard-depth do need the end panels.

And don't forget a 24" deep cabinet over the refrigerator (I can't tell for certain from the drawing if it's 24" deep, so I thought I'd mention it!)

ski4life thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    7 years ago

Prep sink...if you go with a small prep sink, I strongly recommend a pull down faucet, not a pull out or standard faucet. If you look at these types of faucets, you will see that a pull down does not get in the way of using the sink b/c it's high above the sink. Pullouts and standard faucets, OTOH, are close to the top of the sink and stick out into the sink, taking away from work room. I'm speaking from experience - I put a pullout on my 17-3/4" x 17-3/4" prep sink and it gets in the way when I try to work in the sink. Hmmm...that may be one of the reasons why I think my sink is too small. (There's also limited room inside the sink if I want to work with food inside the sink - room for hands + knife or other prep tool + food.)

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Buehl, thanks. Does your pullout faucet swivel out of the way of your sink?

Fisher & Paykel, Samsung, Summit etc. have reasonable decent quality 28-31" fridges. I'll go look at some in person tomorrow, hopefully. Otherwise, I'm fine conforming to the 36" wide. We have very old 1990s fridges that are 30" wide. Used to be the standard it seems, though not counter depth.

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The saga continues. After cashing our advance check for the first month of construction, the architect quit days later.

Framing, plumbing, hvac, & electrical finished per his design. Guess what?! His measurements were 13" off in a length of 150." The cabinet guy couldn't execute the design.

The good news is that we were forced to move the dishwasher to the other side of the sink. The bad news is we're out $$$$ in arch/design fees for a defunct plan. And untold expenses redoing the systems if/as needed. When you guys could have designed all this for free! :)

After 5 years of hopes and dreams, this is a nightmare. Thanks for listening, fellow GardenWeb goers.

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

New dimensions. We lost > 1ft. Now 12.5' side to side and 11.5' top to bottom. Cabinet guy wants to move the fridge 16" over to the left - which makes sense - except the HVAC heat supply was *just* installed there. We can move the dishwasher to the other side, but not sure if we'd have room for Kohler Stages if so. Will jigger on Kitchen Planner.

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

Oh boy, how frustrating. I'm so sorry. Would you like to try reposting your picture? It is not showing up, unfortunately.

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

For some reason my images (self and computer) are having issues today.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

I've noticed the posting glitch a couple of times, yesterday and today.

I'm sorry about the kitchen nightmare--an all too familiar story.

ski4life thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • practigal
    7 years ago

Is the half bath the only one on this level?

• ski4life
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, only bath at this level. No other place to fit one due to stairs, doors, windows, etc.