SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mhollett1983

Replacing stripping on front door w/ wood trim (and small slit).

Marc
4 years ago

Hi, new homeowner and we just purchased a century home in the downtown of our city. It's been relatively low maintenance so far and we're doing little touchups, recently sealing cracks as we get into winter months.

Our front door has a weather strip on the handle side of the door, and it's not cut to the proper length so some sunlight comes through near the bottom of the door. I've been trying to replace this piece, but every type of stripping I've tried so far (kerf, aluminum sets, etc) doesn't seem to quite work.

The current piece has aluminum at the end and the piece is not screwed into the trim. It merely "sits" in a very thin slit down the side of the door. The best luck I had was with an aluminum door set w/ a spring, but the seal comes out too far and the door doesn't close properly. The seal is not overly thick either, so I still see daylight coming through.

Feeling at a loss as this should be a simple project but I keep falling short with the weather stripping I try and have done many returns to the hardware store. Can someone advise? I've posted pictures for reference too in case that helps.

Handle side of door/trim with seal flush in the slit:

Stripping pulled out to show aluminium end piece:

Bottom view of trim with "workaround" for the short cut:

Comments (7)