SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Advice on renovating or replacing front door?

We just finished installing knotty pine paneling in a small front entryway. There's an outer door and then the front door. I am stalled in deciding what to do with the front door.

The house was built in the 1960s, and the front door, of a small cape, is solid wood with a row of four windows on the top. Unfortunately, we tested it and it seems to have lead paint in it. We looked into having it stripped by dipping it and I decided against that, for the reason that it doesn't leave the wood in as good a shape as it was before you have it done and it was pretty expensive.

I'm considering taking it off the hinges, putting it on sawhorses on the lawn and lightly sanding it and then painting it. But I would think the sawdust will get in the lawn and lead will stay in the soil. But I would think it would be a minor amount. I know I'd have to wear coveralls and the right kind of mask etc. This would be the cheapest way to go, but thinking I am putting us at risk.

The door is also not hanging right. If I look at the top edge of the door, it is slanting down to the R on the doorknob side of the door. Not sure if a screw has been stripped? The hardware is old, not all that attractive and the lock doesn't work all that easily, but I wonder if it is the door being out of line that is doing that.

If I paint the door ourselves, I would want to replace the hardware and put a new lock on it. Not sure if that is a problem with finding one that fits the holes already drilled in the door for the old hardware.

I am also considering just buying a new all wood door with glass on the top and new hardware and locks. Having it installed to get it done right. Wow, was I surprised at how expensive they are.

Would love some opinions and experiences to help me think this through. Thanks.

Comments (13)