SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jabaz

Need advice on renovating oak flooring, doors, staircase and woodwork

jabaz
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We just purchased a fixer upper and are renovating the upstairs. The floors are in need of replacing and we are putting down white oak hardwood. We're replacing all of the trim with painted white trim.

Here are my questions:

1 - Solid hardwood or engineered floors? We are going with Mercier, a local manufacturer, and have the option of 6mm engineered or pre-finished solid hardwood (about 20% cheaper). I am in Quebec, summers are very humid but short. Winters are obviously cold and long.

2 - Should I paint, stain or replace the doors? They are solid core oak. Maybe white paint or ebony stain? Replace with a different style? Will be replacing the knobs with hardware from Emtek.

3 - What about the closet doors? The openings are being widened to accommodate regular doors (currently sliding mirrored doors from the 70s). Furniture going in is painted white and cream, area rugs are also very light.

4 - The staircase needs a new bannister. Current treads are slightly slanted and I do not like the shape of the edges (sharp points), but they are in good condition. Could they be recut and stained to match the doors (maybe ebony)? Or worth replacing with white oak to match the floors?

I am also thinking of adding wainscotting and will be replacing the chandelier.

Here are some photos (sorry, no closet door photos):

Comments (7)