SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joposie8

Stripping Doorframe (Stripping Trim2)

joposie8
12 years ago

So my 1922 rowhome has wood trim throughout that has clearly been painted many, many times. The most recent time (perhaps by PO's - who were flipping this place - but not entirely sure) someone did not prime or sand, as the paint on many of my doors is chipping and/or peeling off of the old coats.

tonight I did a test area on the door and door frame molding of my basement door. I chose this door for 2 reasons, first being if I did not continue, no big deal, its just the basement. But the main reason is that the door doesn't close properly b/c the many layers of paint make it stick. I want to be able to make the door fit better without replacing the door (its a solid 5-panel door).

Before continuing, I have a bunch of questions but I'll start with these(many more after the recent other thread on Stripping Trim).

1) how do I know if there is lead paint under there? Do I assume so given the age of the house and that most of the doors/trim are original?

2) the other thread said that if you get down to wood w/o varnish then stop and do not proceed. is this true? It's so hard for me to tell when stripping through so many layers.

3) Finally, a design question. As noted above, one purpose is to improve function. but i also have design concerns. All of the trim/doors/windows has been painted white. Which is nice for brightness. if i strip this door (and potentially others) would I be foolish to just paint it white again (just doing the job right) or should I consider stain to highlight the trim.

thanks - these forums are amazing. sorry for the long post!

Comments (7)