scanner help on a Mac

mtvhike

I'm having a Mac vs PC problem. I'm a PC user and my wife is a Mac user, and I can't help her with some of her problems. Currently, I'm trying, by phone, help her scan a document to email to me. She can get the scanner to work, but can't find the document. It supposedly was saved to the desktop but she can't see it there. With my PC, I can do a global search for anything today, but she doesn't know how to do it on the Mac (it's a PowerBook). I think she could do it using the Finder, but she says she can't. The scanner is a HP MFP something and connects by either WiFi or USB.

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elmer J Fudd

Do you need a scan-quality image of it? If yes, have her take it to a Fed Ex office (formerly Kinko's in many places), UPS, Office Max, etc and have it scanned. Unless a large document, it won't be expensive If high quality isn't needed, she can take a photo of it with her smartphone and send you that.

Or, how about your local library? It may offer that capability too.

Save    
mtvhike

We've used the photo route, I was just trying to help her get a better quality image. I hope I can figure this out when I go back next week. There is a Staples about an hour's drive away, but I'd rather do this myself, especially since I have the hardware to do it. It works fine with my PC.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Okay, a completely different approach that I should have thought of before....

Have you ever used the free software Team Viewer? It allows remote access to a PC and works as if the person in the remote location were sitting in front of the PC in another location being operated.

Think of the old Client/Server model. The server portion of Team Viewer is installed on the PC to be manipulated remotely - call it the Mac. Client software is installed on the PC where the user is seated - call it the Windows machine. When the server software is first installed, there's a code presented. When the client software starts up on the Win PC, by entering the Mac's pass code, a connection is made from the Win PC to the Mac over the network or over the internet and the person at the Win PC can use the Mac as if they were in the same room. End the session and the connection is broken.

It may be hard under the circumstances (you're not where the Mac is) to get this set up the first time if you think you need to be there but it's certainly possible. Get it set up next time you're home so that if another time when you're gone, should other issues befall the Mac or the Mac user, you could connect and try to fix them from wherever you are.

Save    
mtvhike

Thanks, Elmer, that sounds like a good idea. I have used that type of service with our tech center to solve problems on my computer but I never thought about it to use for my wife's Mac. I'm going there next week, so I'll bring my PC and investigate installing Team Viewer. However, I really want her to try to figure this out!

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I've only used it PC to PC but the website says cross platform works fine, I'd checked first before making the suggestion earlier. I'm sure it does. A great tool, works very well and consistently so.

Give it a try when you have both PCs side by side and see what you think.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Tech Turn 'Obsolete' Tech Into Fun Home Help
Here's how to put your old Mac, Atari or Newton to work around the house
Full Story
Moving Downsizing Help: How to Edit Your Belongings
Learn what to take and what to toss if you're moving to a smaller home
Full Story
Features Houzz TV: Fred MacMurray’s Enduring Farmhouse Retreat
One of the most beloved actors of the 20th century traded fame for farm implements on this California ranch. His daughter shows us around
Full Story