SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krisbry

Walk-in pantry layout advice

Kristin S
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I’m working on finalizing sketches of some built-ins before meeting with our finish carpenter on Monday, one of which is the pantry.

My current thought is to do 18” deep lowers and 12” uppers on Wall A to make the notch out of the space feel less awkward. Then 12” shelves on Wall B and Wall C. Wall D will have hooks for a step stool. The ceilings are 10’, and we’d run shelves all the way up, with upper sections used for rarely used items. Pantry will primarily store food and paper goods, as we have space planned in the kitchen for small appliances and such. There is a slight chance that the Breville toaster oven could end up in this space, though not likely.

Right now I store most food items in The Container Store’s Multipurpose Bins, which fit on a 12” deep shelf and keep things tidy. (I currently have wire shelves, so things tend to fall over, fall through, etc..) I don’t know if I should plant to continue that, or consider shallower shelves to store items directly on the shelves.

Thoughts? Advice? Things to change? I could go deeper on the lowers on Wall A, but I don’t want things so deep that items will get lost - not sure what the right depth is.

Comments (11)