how do you make Christmas lights straighten out of the box?

rob333 (zone 7a)

This time is particularly, umm, challenging. They're supposed to be "icicle lights" that dangle. It's the only thing my son asked for, and they're purchased, so let's stick to suggestions that don't require buying anything else. I also would prefer not to live with it, if there's a way to get them straighter. If I have to live with it, I will, but let's try to give the kiddo what he wants. Yay! And thanks!!!

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amylou321

Do mean mean how to get the icicle part of the icicle lights to hang straight? I pull them individually to relax them when they are brand new out of the box. They will relax and straighten more on their own as they hang. But they will not be stick straight. They are not really supposed to be.

I find the ones bought on a huge roll hang straighter than ones from a box. I suppose because they are not packaged all bunched up.

Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7a)
rob333 (zone 7a)

Cool. I'm not after stick straight. It's all like a perm I just unrolled. How's that from an eighties reference?

;)

3 Likes Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

Try warming the plastic wire with a little heat from the hair dryer, and then pull them as straight as you want them, holding them in position till the plastic wire coating cools and they stay put.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7a)
rob333 (zone 7a)

I had that thought sheilajoyce. I may....

Save    
Michael

The hair dryer will relax them. If you hang them as is in cold weather they won't ever hang straight.

rob333 (zone 7a)

I also agree, Michael. I'm willing to do what it takes, so I will try if needed.

Save    
Olychick

Be sure too wear gloves when handling Christmas lights from china. They have lead in the wires.

Save    
joyfulguy

If electrical wires are uncovered/unprotected enough that they touch our hands ... if that happens when they're plugged in to a live circuit, we'll have more to worry about than lead poisoning!

Which means that they have need to be covered when not plugged in, as well, if they're to be of any use.

ole joyful

Save    
arcy_gw

yep, heat will relax them. Second the deal about exposed wires/lead. Throw anything that has you toughing exposed wires shock and fire hazard!!

Save    
Olychick

joyful, it's the plastic coating that has the lead.

Save    
littlebug zone 5 Missouri

If it’s sunshiny out, that’s a good time to hang them. They will relax in the warmth.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I tried untwisting them some and today was in the sixties, kinda sunny. I still think they look like snowballs instead of anything drippy. Maybe it'll get better over time?I've added hooks to the top wire so that it looks neater, but you get the idea.

Save    
Michael

The lead is minimal and not harmful if you wash your hands after handling any wired lights. According to OSHA, lead is harmful only if ingested or inhaled. It's not absorbed through the skin. So, keep hands out of mouth, wash them when done, or wear gloves.

Save    
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Looks nice Rob!

rob333 (zone 7a)

I think I'm happy enough with it. Thanks y'all!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Crafts Make a Little Origami Box Out of a Sheet of Paper
We show you how to fold two kinds of open-top boxes to use for treats or gifts
Full Story
Christmas How to Light Your Christmas Tree Like a Pro
Give yourself frustration-free tree lighting this year — the trick is clever cord management
Full Story
Decorating Guides Guest Picks: Make a Fashionista Christmas Tree
Take cues from Hermes, Burberry and Tiffany & Co. for your tree trimmings this year
Full Story
At Bull Run Kitchen and Bath, we are dedicated to providing professional service and work hard to ensure that our... Read More
Our 20+ years of experience in custom home building combined with our in-house design service assures you a... Read More