Voice Mail, No Record of Call in Log

jrb451

I just listened to a message offering me “options to get out of debt” on my cell phone’s voice mail. I’d gotten a VM early today and phone never rang before getting this VM so I checked the call log for a number. There was no record of an incoming call since my previous VM.

Have the robocallers come up with a way to bypass the ring and go directly to VM? I typically never answer calls that aren’t in my contacts. I guess it’s possible that the VM is from an earlier call and was delayed in delivery.

Thoughts?

TIA

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Don't know. I'm on our state representative's call list, but the messages were annoying, so I blocked the number. ("Just a reminder that our local office is open late this Wednesday to assist veterans with paperwork" etc.) Now I still get the VM but no call.

Save     Thanked by jrb451
rob333 (zone 7a)

Looks like such is the case?! They can still call you even being on the the no call list. Wow. It's not right. Someone would should legislate that differently.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Yes they have been doing that for quite a while now. We both have had it happen to us. My phone sometimes does a very short vibration sometimes when it goes to voice mail.

1 Like Save     Thanked by jrb451
jrb451

rob333, Thanks for the link. This is so wrong in so many ways.

"On March 31, 2017, a company called All About The Message, LLCpetitioned the FCC to declare that "delivering voice messages directly to voicemail delivery of a voice message directly to a voicemail box does not constitute a call that is subject to the prohibitions on the use of an automatic telephone dialing system (“ATDS”) or an artificial or prerecorded voice that are set forth in the Telephone Consumer Protection Act."

1 Like Save    
aok27502

I don't know anything about the robocallers, but I have occasionally had messages with no record in the call log. At our house, our cell phone service is lousy and sometimes the phone doesn't ring. It seems like the signal can't get through to actually make the phone ring, so it doesn't know there's an incoming call. But sometime later I will realize there's a voicemail. Is it possible the call is sent to voicemail elsewhere in the system, bypassing the local cell tower?

Save    
Olychick

Quite frankly, if I could get them to stop making the calls and just leave a vm, I'd be happier about that than getting 15 robo calls a day. I finally just turned the ringer off my home phone and check it once or twice a day to see if anyone I want to talk with has called or left a message.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I'm the other way around. I quit answering their calls, immediately send them to voicemail if I don't recognize the number. I finally quit getting the calls. Took a long time to do. I figure, if it's important enough, and I send someone to voicemail that needed something, they'd leave a message.

ETA: and it's happened. Son calling from someone's phone and he left a message, and I called right back.

Save    
Lindsey_CA

In the late 1980s and early 1990s I was the voice mail administrator for a large state agency. The State of California used Pacific Bell (and Pacific Bell Voicemail) wherever PB was available, which was most of the State. One of the things I would "teach"new VM users was that they could send messages through VM to another user, without having to speak to the other person. This is handy when you needed to get info to someone, but didn't want to talk to them. You could also reply to a received VM without having to talk to the other person. And sending messages through your VM to another VM user avoided toll charges, which was another bonus.

Save    
Michael

If you own an iPhone with iOS 13 update, you can toggle "Silence Unknown Callers". That moves the caller to VM automatically without a ring tone.

Save    
cynic

On my cell, I assign distinctive rings to the people I wish to talk to and have a silent "ring" for anything else. Landline has Phonetrayfree and it's very effective at filtering out the calls. Rings once, then they're zapped once blacklisted. I block any number that is blocked, all toll-free numbers and of course numbers that are teleterrorists.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"If you own an iPhone with iOS 13 update, you can toggle "Silence Unknown Callers""

My Android phone has the same native capability. There are also plenty of free apps that add the same capability with more wrinkles. I suspect there are also similar iPhone apps available too.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I have been getting these voice mails without an actual call suddenly this past week -- all from Chinese speaking callers! I've assumed they were scams, just like the ones spoofing the Chinese consulate's phone number that I was getting for a while this past year.

ratherbesewing

I have received a few calls recently state MY OWN NAME on my caller ID!

Save    
Michael

My Android phone has the same native capability. There are also plenty
of free apps that add the same capability with more wrinkles. I suspect
there are also similar iPhone apps available too.

I realize that. However I'm not familiar with an android device features so I don't mention them.

I also use Truecaller and it outperforms the iOS features. Again, don't know if that's true on android.

Elmer J Fudd

I tried Truecaller on my phone for a few weeks and found some of its features annoying so I deleted it. For now, I don't have the feature turned on and I only get one or two unwanted calls a week.

On my "home phone" through Ooma, different story. I finally subscribed to the premium service and now I've set it so that only calls from numbers in my contact list (uploaded from my and my wife's phones) are allowed to ring. The others go directly to Ooma voicemail and get blasted to oblivion once a week. Problem solved.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Holidays Houzz Call: When Do Your Holiday Decorations Go Up?
Is it ever too soon to start spreading the holiday cheer?
Full Story
Decluttering Houzz Call: What’s Your Best Downsizing Tip?
Deciding what to say goodbye to can be hard, which is why we want to hear your hard-won wisdom. Please share your advice
Full Story
Organizing How to Manage Your Daily Mail
Prevent a snail-mail pileup by creating an efficient sorting center and reducing the mail you get. Here’s how
Full Story
Kitchen, Bath and Interior remodeling company featuring the latest bath and kitchen designs and the largest... Read More