Accent tile decision time

nuthinontv

Ok, so I posted a query earlier to get some help with a design detail on the kitchen backsplash. My only feed back was that the whole accent idea was dated. I have no problem with that. But that being said...is my choice of mosaic accent to go with my tile OK? Or not? I’ve had a heck of a time finding any other options. Note: size of central accent areas not changing sorry.

Thoughts?

Please ignore badly rendered pencil mold! It’s the mosaic choice I’m wondering about and how well it compliments the Picasso Travertine? I can cut and lay the tile in a diamond pattern and add bullet accents in the same mosaic. Please note: Tile will go all the way up to the bottom of the uppers.

PS: Countertops are copper

This is not to scale, just a representation.

Picasso has a lot of variation and movement but the tile is only 2x4 and it’s a large kitchen

SaveComment28Like
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
RL Relocation LLC

Truthfully, I would take the 14 or so pieces of trim down and just do the tile. But since you are .......bent for election on doing it then go with your gut, I feel like you might not get a lot of positive feedback on it here. Here's what I will say, your cabinets are busy with the wood grain your backsplash is very busy with variation, your counters seem to have a swirl to them... all of that is putting everything in kind of a very busy visual to the point that no one can really notice your beautiful apron sink! I think you should really consider what you want people to notice.

a very small square with some diamond angled tiles would not be my first choice..........Sorry

Here is a simple mockup for you so you can have a little idea of the outcome.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by nuthinontv
roccouple

I like your kitchen except for the accent window. I don't like the diamond tiles in that personally. I think I'd like just the Picasso travertine no accent best. If you have to have an accent, with your copper counters, I might choose a copper relief tile or piece of copper artwork for that spot.

I think the idea of copper counters is very cool. Never heard of that but I love copper.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by nuthinontv
btydrvn

The backsplash you have chosen is very rustic ...even earthy...this doesn’t seem like the right aesthetic for a tiny little detailed box....maybe an old copper tray or something more in sync with the brick....they also both look off center?

1 Like Save     Thanked by nuthinontv
acm

I don't know how we could possibly judge whether the two tiles would go together without seeing the sample in the same photo as the wall tile! I mean, different photos, different lighting, unreliable monitors... ?!?

Save     Thanked by nuthinontv
nuthinontv

I’ll try a lo-tech photo edit and post here in a bit

Save    
pleballerina

Instead of a tile accent, maybe consider a handcrafted medallion. When I remodeled my kitchen i put one over my stove. It’s Linda Paul’s Ravenna Kitchen Backsplash Plaque with copper highlights and a matte oil rubbed background:

https://www.lindapaul.com/Ravenna-metal-backsplash-mosaic-tile-medallions.htm

6 Likes Save     Thanked by nuthinontv
Renee

I like the idea of this.

tatts

The real copper countertops should be the accent of the kitchen.

What you're proposing looks like a pizza shop from the '80s. Rethink it. Please.

You've drawn the line in the sand about keeping the accent and you've painted yourself into a corner by casting the dimensions in stone, so I would only say...do something that does justice to those beautiful countertops (and not that cheezy copper tree).

1 Like Save    
nuthinontv

Pleballerina the medallions are cool and somewhat OTT, but I’m on a limited budget unfortunately. So will have to contend with dialled down expectations for the moment. I know it’s not forever and styles change. But for the next 5 years i can live with my Pizzaria..uh, kitchen (See previous comments)

1 Like Save    
nuthinontv

After some great input I think this could def work for the space. Yup it’s a win. ;-)~

1 Like Save    
PRO
Patricia Colwell Consulting

My only comment is those tiles behind the stove are going to be a PITA to keep clean and the rest IMO all of the tiles are okay by themselves but adding the fancy trim tile will ruin the look of a very nice kitchen they needed to be in a huge Tuscan kitchen ideally in Tuscany.

jenniecollins

The copper countertop is interesting. Has it been coated with some kind of sealant to prevent it from oxidizing (and turning light green)? Regardless, I would personally prefer a very simple, unobtrusive backsplash that doesn't complete with the cabinets and countertop.

PRO
Debbi Washburn

The cabinets are beautiful. The kitchen definitely has a character to it - not the same old white shaker door with white subway tile. As long as you love it and it goes with the bones of your home then forge ahead!

I like the idea of the medallion look there but I would go with more contrast - may be something like these:

That second tile is from Merola and is only about $6 for each 2 x 2 tile.

Dal tile also has released some nice metal look tiles.

I love the copper tops!

Good luck - I hope you fall in love with your kitchen

nuthinontv

Jennie Collins: I did the counters myself. The topcoat I used was def not heavy duty enough and we should have done more than 3 coats ideally. Live and learn! The effect is achieved by applying various easy to find compounds (vinegar, salt, even miracle grow!) then applying heat. It’s a very volatile process and must be neutralized with a baking soda wash at the right moment. If I did it again I would only recommend as a backsplash treatment or perhaps inset on panel doors. Although one could experiment with resin coating to achieve the necessary durability.

Save    
nuthinontv

Patricia CC: I’m not concerned about cleaning the honed tile at all. Lol I’ve had drywall and plywood there up until now so anything is an improvement . Seriously tho a honed stone tile such as this is no brainer to keep wiped clean. I have it in the loo as well and it’s not an issue.

Save    
nuthinontv

I found these 2x2 rust/bronze deco tile inserts I actually kind of like. They seem to break of the expanse and at least give a central design of sorts without overwhelming. Like I mentioned it’s a big room, high ceilings, & in a church conversion, so going too safe will underwhelm the space imo. PS please Ignore the bad digital mock up.

...Unfortunately I can’t seem to find these in stock anywhere

Save    
PRO
RL Relocation LLC

IMO the space is already overwhelmed.

2 Likes Save    
Brown Dog

You have a lot going on here. But I kinda really like the rustic thing you're going for! That being said, you are on the verge of going too far. I've done a quick photoshop of your backsplash without the detail behind the sink and just leaving it as the same tile as everywhere else. I think you should pull back on that particular detail and any other decorative details you had in mind. You have lovely things, let them shine. Notice with my photoshop pic that now you can really see the great farm sink.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by nuthinontv
nuthinontv

Thanks for the photoshop treatment! I miss having that program to play with!

My perspective is that the treatment does not overwhelm the space as it might in the average home. But our church conversion begs a more bombastic style than most homes. With 17’ ceilings, the big open concept space and huge beams anything contemporary just doesn’t suit the vibe. And understated gets lost!

so I don’t mind this look myself. And ultimately it’s me that lives with it. Below gives a rough idea of finished look. PS having island built is next on the hit list!

2 Likes Save    
fuzzyguy

Your last photo of new inset choice looks great.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by nuthinontv
nuthinontv

Thanks fuzzyguy! Much appreciated

1 Like Save    
fuzzyguy

Comparison....

2 Likes Save     Thanked by nuthinontv
docrm

I love the whole church conversion. It looks great. I also totally get the approach of “more is more”. (And I say that as someone who has copper wrapped around the bar in the basement. So I would look for “cooper” tile. See attached picture. I know the medallion is out of the budget but I think you could find some “copper”color tile that would look like you put a little piece of your counter top in the wall. (Bringing the whole look together and giving a place for your eye to rest) It will look less busy but still be a statement piece. Basically it would add a little “bling” without adding business. Go to your local tile store and look for returns, going out of stock. Looks like you don’t need much.

docrm

Honestly- do you have any of that copper left. Just cut a piece and put it in there! DONE. That would be the coolest.

nuthinontv

I gotta say there are some lovely wall tiles at Encore Ceramics if one wants to continue on the “more is more“ theme (Yes it’s placed too high so ignore that point). And you can chose your own glaze finish.

1 Like Save    
Sue54321

Go find something that echos an element already in the room. Like the rug on the left with the dark furniture around it.

Sue54321

It probably wouldn’t got that much to get a local ceramic artist to make one large tile with glaze and/or raised shape to match an element already present in the living room.

nuthinontv

Here’s a close up of one of the selection from encore ceramic. As mentioned you can chose your own glaze as well. Pretty nice! This grouping is about 23 x 18

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Metal Idea of the Day: Tin Tiles Create a Striking Accent Wall
A bachelor's bedroom has the industrial style he loves but also is warm and comfortable
Full Story
Kitchen Design 4 Kitchen Design Decisions to Spend a Little Extra Time On
These clever ideas from the week’s coverage show how a minor selection can have a major payoff
Full Story
Residential construction specializing in kitchens & bathrooms. A complete service business covering everything... Read More