Side Facing home dilemma

Jay Guerrier

Hi can someone help with this project I’m working on. The house is side facing to the street and would like to really update the curb appeal. I believe I can power wash the siding but due to zoning I can not put a front door in the very front. There is a side door and I was thinking of putting a front door where the window by the deck is but that leads into the kitchen can someone give any ideas?

SaveComment34Like1
Comments (34)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mkoebrich1425

Can you give a photo showing the current front door? Landscaping along the front elevation and along the entry walk, scrapping the deck and railing, an inviting entrance path from the street and an attention getting overhang to draw the visitor to the door would go along way from what is visible.

4 Likes Save    
Jay Guerrier

This is the current front door. Can you provide a picture reference of what you mean but that sounds great.

Save    
kristaj

The door placement is not terrible. So much can be done to make the house have more curb appeal without expense of moving it.
Yes, a power wash will make it look fresher!
I agree with others about landscaping, and a better walkway. I might even remove all grass up to the front windows and put in some larger nicely shaped shrubs and some flowering perennials. Replace/redesign walkway and rebuild front deck and build nicer railings.

I would possibly consider seeing if you could build out the front deck out more on right side of house to include deck space all the way down to other outside door that is visible in your last picture. A second way to access a deck for relaxing on would be a great change.

Save    
A Foster

The door location not ideal but you can make it more inviting. I would get rid of deck build a cover walkway. Then some landscaping that would soften the front and a good power washing.

4 Likes Save    
housegal200

Start with a super powerwash of the entire house. Remove the deck/railings. The railings act as an obstacle to the entryway. What you want to do, as others have suggested, is create a pathway that says: "This way." A flat, lovely slate pathway to the door will do the job. The second major change is to create a front garden on the left. It's a small space and could look really great. Get a small garden center to help you plan a mix of shrubs, perennials. Maybe a small border of low perennial plants on the side of the new pathway would add to the effect of "Enter here." This could be lovely.

1215 NE THOMPSON ST, PORTLAND OR · More Info

5 Likes Save    
PRO
BeverlyFLADeziner

Pressure wash the vinyl siding for starters, and probably the roof also

I'd consider changing out all the shutters to white board and batten style

Add a wall pergola over the front windows and a white pergola over the entry porch.

11 Likes Save    
PRO
Patricia Colwell Consulting

IMO take all the shutters off the odd sized ones just make the whole thing a mess make the deck a step up all along it with no railing so that it leads to the door then landscaping so a new deck built right to the edge of the house on the left widen the walkway to match that side of the deck some big pots with seasonl plantings on the deck

Save    
PRO
Norwood Architects

Love the suggestions folks are making! Love the idea of a pergola at the entrance but perhaps refurbishing the deck and railings might be enough to signify that the entrance is "here." Landscaping and a new walk will certainly help. Different exterior lighting might help and could give a better indication of, once again, the entry is "here." Good luck!

2 Likes Save    
Jay Guerrier

Hi Everyone thanks so much for the great ideas however what does everyone think of putting a door where the entry window is by the deck?

Save    
rbhirano

I would leave the door where it is. If you put a door into where the deck window is, it leads all of your guests into the kitchen, right? With the railing gone on the deck, you have a more pronounced front door stoop. People will know where to go,and a lovely walkway will guide them to the front door.

3 Likes Save    
Denita

Agree with the above, leave your door where it is and lead the guests to your front door with an appropriate walkway and landscaping. I like Beverly's ideas above. I think if you clean the siding first, it will be much easier to see the solution to the other parts of the design :) (I deleted the phrase "pressure wash" because it isn't the right method for the siding nor the roof). For me, your current shutters need to go away.

1 Like Save    
apple_pie_order

Some info about your goals and budget range would be helpful. Will this be your own residence, a flip or a rental? Will you be replacing the roof at this point?

Keeping the shutters may be best if it turns out the siding has faded behind them. In that case, I suggest painting them crisp white, celery green, sea green, denim blue, or black. You could add a bit of 4-6 inch wide trim at the base of the shorter windows so they appear to take up the same space as the longer windows. Then swap the shutters around so that you have the same size and same age shutters on each wall of the house (you'll need two new sets of shutters or you can add a bit of trim to the shorter sets).

A small metal or glass-look

One-Piece Polycarbonate Hollow Sheet, Clear With Light Trim, 1 -Piece · More Info

awning could be added over the front door. I'd keep the door where it is if the entrance makes sense for the floor plan.

Here's a classic color combination:

Hampton Floor Plan 6 · More Info

1 Like Save    
housegal200

I can envision plantings on the left side of your house like those here shown on the right side of this house: Notice how the pathway just guides you to a tucked away doorway--no need to put it in front.

You could also do something like this with a slate or brick pathway leading to a small patio entryway on the side with a bright doorway:

2 Likes Save    
dcardinal

In addition to the pergola many have suggested, adding an arbor on the right side of the house leading to or integrated to the deck would make your entry more inviting.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
RES 3d Sketches

Never pressure wash siding; that will ruin the water resistance of the weather barrier and possibly create a moisture intrusion and mold problem. Wash siding with low pressure water by hand.
I don’t know how anyone could help you redesign your house without plans and more photos.

Save    
Denita

Thank you for the correction RES, I edited my post to delete pressure wash and substituted with 'clean'.

Save    
Jay Guerrier

More photos

Save    
Jay Guerrier

I like the walkway landscaping and shutters idea. I think rebuilding the deck will also help and changing the shutters. What does everyone think about changing the siding on the very front to add some distinction as well?

Save    
Jay Guerrier

Hi I am also redoing the roof. Also this is a flip as well.

Save    
Denita

You can do so much with a contrasting color on the front door and frame around the door like some of the pics up thread or this one below:

Rustic Beach Cottage Second Dwelling Unit in Santa Cruz, CA · More Info

2 Likes Save    
PRO
RES 3d Sketches

This house has some architectural problems but I don't think the location of the front door is one of them unless, of course, it won't work with the existing plan or a new plan that we have not seen.

Save    
Jay Guerrier

Hi RES what do you suggest as far as the outside and curb appeal? As well as the entry way

Save    
PRO
RES 3d Sketches

I guess I would try to get the window heads to align in some rational manner. And the top of a shutter should align with the bottom of a window head and the bottom should align with the top of the sill, you know, as if the shutter might actually fit inside the window opening if it were functional.

New or repainted siding and new windows with upper sash mullions would help.

If there are ridge and eve vents, there is no need for the awkward gable vents.

That odd little roof should be removed and something simple and functional built in its place with aligned eaves.

Paint the shutters as well as the railings, posts, lattice and deck a very dark green. Replace the missing post caps or perhaps use something simpler.

Get rid of the RR ties.

It looks like you need new roofing shingles. Try a charcoal black architectural series shingle.

Save    
Lisa Dipiro

Besides the siding and roof, I’d make the front porch at a kitty Korner angle with curvy walkway to it... like this

3 Likes Save    
Jay Guerrier

Hi Lisa I think you have given the best idea yet!! Can you show me an example of the walkway?

Save    
decoenthusiaste

First you eliminate the eyesores; louvered shutters, deck, block and concrete retaining walls and planting bed borders. Then clean, repair, upgrade and landscape. That might include adding wider trim around all the windows and omitting the shutters if you have no discoloration under them. Personally, I would never be interested in sitting on a deck out by the street. I would rather that be in the back yard. Just a broad step and landing under a portico, with an angled or winding sidewalk leading to it would work for me. Nice landscaping surrounding it would draw people to the right spot to enter.

Cape Cod Whole House Renovation · More Info

5 Likes Save    
housegal200

An attractive stone walkway and semi-patio landing on the side, along with a portico as decoenthusiaste shows, is your most attractive and budget-friendly solution. Put your money into professional landscaping to enhance the new walkway and camouflage the street facing side without a lot of structural changes.

1 Like Save    
PRO
RES 3d Sketches

If you're going to replace the deck, you don't need to keep the guard rails. You could replace the little steps with a continuous step that runs along both sides. But all pressure treated wood should be either pressure washed and stained or replaced with a more attractive material.

A portico with wall brackets is a simple solution to protecting the entrance but I wouldn't make it of heavy timber unless you want to redesign the rest of the house to be a colonial Revival of the Post Medieval English style. Don't fall into the trap of designing one element at a time.

Save    
RedRyder

You’ve gotten great ideas. The most important is cleaning the outside. Then plot out a new path to the front door and fresh landscaping. Don’t bother to change the position of the door as others say. It’s a waste of money. You need every penny for a walkway, pergola and landscaping.

2 Likes Save    
Jay Guerrier

Hey everyone thanks for all the advice but I’m replacing the roof and siding. I’m going light floors white wood and navy blue accents inside. I wanted to go darker outside what color do you all suggest for siding that would be cheapest?

1 Like Save    
housegal200

Maybe someone else will weigh in, but maybe you can lay out your budget and plans. There was no mention of replacing siding and oof. Make sure siding and roof coordinate--dark green/brownish red roof/red stone path/red door.

Navy/gray roof/gray stone path/red orange door. Or gray/light gray roof/bright door/gray stone path. The siding and pathway need to coordinate. Good luck!

Save    
housegal200

1 Like Save    
Lisa Dipiro

Curved steps off the deck to the existing walkway to the main sidewalk.. how inviting I like the door where it is, you don’t want to walk into the kitchen, let all the weather in, where do you take off your rain gear, etc...

Save    
katinparadise

following

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours The Side-by-Side Homes That Friendship Built
A 1960s experiment in cooperative living offers ideas and lessons for a new generation of creative home dwellers
Full Story
Storage The Family Home: The Dress-Up Dilemma
Clever ideas for corralling the kids' costumes
Full Story
Curb Appeal Put On a Good Face: Design Principles for Home Fronts
Set the right tone from the get-go with an entry that impresses and matches the overall design of your home
Full Story
David Small Designs is an award winning custom home design firm that specializes designing the perfect home for... Read More