SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_470845646

Fill 3" Gap on Either Side of Range

cmy
4 years ago

We are having a new addition built with a new kitchen. The room itself is 24' wide by 15.5' deep, and the kitchen portion is roughly one half of that, so 12'-13' wide by 15.5' deep. We have plans to do a U shape kitchen with centre island.

We were told that in this space, our current 30" range will look too small. However, we love our 30" GE Cafe slide-in double oven range and do not want to replace it. We've received several suggestions to replace it with another brand, but I'm not convinced. Cafe makes a 36" range but it does not have double ovens.

So my real question is, can we design the kitchen cabinets and quartz counters around a future 36" range, but put our 30" range in it now? The idea would be -- one day, when the 30" range stops working -- to replace it with a 36" range.

Until that day, there would be a 3" gap on either side of our 30" range. Suppose we fashion 3" decorative posts on either side of the 30" range. How would I fill the gap between the counter and the range? Remember, the counter would be cut for a 36" range, so there would be a 3" gap on either side.

If I had a stainless steel insert made, it might match the stainless steel range, but would it look totally dumb up against the new countertop?

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Comments (31)

• M
    4 years ago

I wouldn't build for a future that might never happen. Either decide that you need to upgrade your range at the same time, or plan for a 30" range. IMHO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with 30" (although there also is nothing wrong with 36").

But if you still think you must keep your options open, it is easy to put two removable 3" filler panels on each side of the range. And that can look very intentional. No need for decorative posts, which are likely just fire hazards. You can't really have anything that extends forward. The oven door must be proud of the adjacent cabinet front.

As for the counter top, I would never cut it to bigger than what you need. That's just going to cause more problems. Instead, if you ever do decide to upgrade to 36", have a fabricator come and cut the countertop on site. It'll cost you a few hundred dollars (or maybe even $1000, if you are in an expensive market), but it's not otherwise difficult.

What you do need to consider though is space for the overhead hood. In order to work properly, a hood should have about a 3" overhang on both sides. So, a 30" range needs a 36" hood, and a 36" range needs a 42" hood. And that's not something you can easily fix after the fact. So, if you do want to keep your options open, you should already buy a 42" hood now.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

First, a 12 or 13 foot wide U shaped kitchen is almost NEVER EVER wide enough for an island. It's math. Four feet will go to the perimeters. You need clearance of not less than 39 inches both sides and 42 inches is better.. Thus 144 " even 156" minus 78 in clearances and 48 in perimeters leaves 24 or 30 inches and no stools.At 12 feet? forget it! Traffic patterns must be considered, Windows....all of it.

You need to post a flat and dimensioned plan of that kitchen within the total addition. Start from a 15 foot width for the kitchen.

Second, a 30 " GE cafe is a very nice range. and I'd not replace it unless you want 36, and in that case you do it now. . It will need a hood, you are just buying yourself a lot of issues, even upper cabinet and trim issues.

Architects are almost never good at kitchen design. .........get a CKD, make your LONG term need/want list for the kitchen, Do that well before you grab the shovel and sledge hammer.

• Related Discussions

Replacing odd sized vintage range, gaps on sides?

Q

Comments (25)
    Jamie, Yes, the rest of the kitchen is very modern looking. I think the previous owner wanted the contrast of the vintage when he did the remodel. The house was originally built in 1950 but the only thing original left is the wood floors. The rest of the house has a mid-century feel. I like the uniqueness of the stove and the fact that it is not another stainless steel one that you see everywhere, but I tend to agree with you. I do feel like I need a pop of color and don't want regular stainless. The counters will be replaced hopefully in the next year or so as they are the lower end granite and I would prefer white quartz or maybe even the recycled glass. Of the colored ranges available, what gives the most bang for the buck? Blue Star, Bertazzoni, Ilve, Lacanche?????
    ...See More

Filling gaps between countertop and range

Q

Comments (14)
    @live_wire_oak and @weedmeister thanks for the tip. Looks like the Costco installer was an amateur. I asked him the exact same question and he mentioned the grates will be aligned and not the top of the stove. He also never checked the level. I guess I will call them and ask if they can send someone more knowledgeable over. For the back it says 1inch gap is enough but who knows, looks like no one knows what they are doing anymore. Also, I am hoping that once I install the microwave on top the vent will be pretty good and quickly remove any heat. @wacokid yeah I wish I never asked the question about cooktop + wall oven below the cooktop (instead of raised in the wall) on Houzz. After hearing it is not a popular combo in the US, I decided to demolish my current setup and change. Big mistake! Thanks for the filler options @Shannon_WI.
    ...See More

Filling gap between over the range oven and cabinets

Q

Comments (20)
    @Melissa R is correct, you could use a filler strip there. But that doesn’t solve the fact that the solution to your microwave door problem means the cabinet on the left is now installed on top of window trim. Your microwave is too big for the space you have allotted for it, or you haven’t installed it properly. So pull down the cabinets and microwave, rehang the cabinets correctly, and move on from there. I know it sucks to realize you’ve made a mistake, but scootching things around to cover it up just creates more issues down the road, as you now realize. Solve the actual original problem, the microwave, and everything will fall back into place. BTW, you need a filler strip between the upper on the right and the wall as well. Good luck!
    ...See More

how to fill a gap between vanity and side wall, baseboard issue too

Q

Comments (9)
    Unfortunately, I don’t see an easy way to hide those gaps. If there was a front overhang for the countertop, you could easily apply a small piece of trim molding on both sides. However, with no overhang, the problem is how to esthetically terminate the top end of the trim. You’ll have to decide if having an exposed top end to the trim with some kind of bevel is acceptable. I wouldn’t try to build up the surface, or to caulk into those cracks. It wouldn’t look very good, and would just draw attention to the issue. It would be better to just learn to live with them, than to do such a bastardized fix.
    ...See More
  • wilson853
    4 years ago

I think it makes more sense to buy a new range now instead of designing a temporary workaround which may end up costing you more in the long run. If you decide to use the 30" you might be able to order the adjacent cabinets with an extended stile which could be cut down later along with the countertop.

• User
    4 years ago

Your plans won’t physically work. L plus island, yes. Galley with island as half of the galley, yes. U plus island, no.

If your even being given such basic bad advice from your architect, you can discount their opinion about all else kitchen design related. Architects are bad kitchen designers. Get an actual Kitchen Designer. They can make the range look size appropriate and give you a workable kitchen. A 12x15 kitchen isn’t big. It’s average. It’s small compared to most shown on this site.

• richfield95
    4 years ago

Have you found your 30” range to be too small for your cooking/baking needs? If not, then why upsize to a 36”?

i dont think a 30” range will look too small in your space if you design for it. But if you design for a 36” range and only install a 30”, it will look too small.

cmy thanked richfield95
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Agree with above, and whomever is advising you now is not doing the math correctly. Sure am glad you asked because you can't fit an island in this space. Back to the drawing boards. Go with range you like and let it go at that. Otherwise you are making all kinds of issues for yourself.

cmy thanked Flo Mangan
  • mainenell
    4 years ago

That size kitchen isn’t really all that big. So a 30” range will be fine. And I don’t think you have enough space for an island if you are doing a U-shape in that space. An L-shape with an island will work.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Architects are not kitchen designers so maybe start there and get some help before the size of therange will be the least of your problems IMo that is not a very big kitchen and i think a 30” range is just right If you posr a to scale floor plan here sowing all measurements, windows, door ways and where the plumbing needs to be might get you some free advice and IMo you need to decide now what range you want there are many very good 36” ranges with double ovens You also don’t mention if your range is gas or induction

• User
    4 years ago

If the kitchen is driving the size of the addition, you need to pause here, and work with a Kitchen Designer to be sure that your architect hasn’t messed up your vision of what you wanted it to be. Because it’s too narrow to do a U plus island. That layout takes a LOT of space and would need 4 more feet, plus use the family room space too.

If the plans are finalized, and construction has begun, then you can still get a functional and appropriately sized kitchen in a 12x15 space. It just won’t be a U plus island. It might be a G, or L plus island. As long as the utilities and plumbing are located appropriately, according to the design that your KD and you make before those utilities are located, it will be fine.

But if the GC is basing utility position off of your architect’s plans? You have a problem that needs to be tackled immediately. You’ll be paying change orders to remodel the room before it’s even close to being finished.

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

Also keep in mind the hood. If you have a 30" hood now, and cabinets around it, you will absolutely not be able to install a 36" range at some later date without having to pull out upper cabinets to allow for a hood that is at least 36". So, if you decide to stay with a 30" range now and a 36" range later, make sure you have allowed at least 36" width above the range for a later hood, and preferable 42". width

cmy thanked Shannon_WI
  • cmy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the generous comments! I've read previous posts before and am always impressed by the advice provided here, especially by the regulars!!

This is a rough drawing of the planned space. Perhaps I did not describe it very well before. The tick marks in the drawing are each 1-1/2' apart. We have three windows over the sink, with a total span of 8'. In the current drawing, there is 44" walking space on every side of the island. We are thinking of moving the prep sink so it is not in the corner, but just to the stove-side of the corner.

The addition has been framed now and the ducts and plumbing are being planned. That may impact the wall between the freezer and prep sink. We may remove the counter there and make that whole wall pantry, like in this photo

https://www.houzz.com/photos/classic-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~4819879

I realize the 36" range would require a wider range hood, so I'm trying to plan for all that now so that we can take advantage of end-of-year sales if possible.

• cmy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I do not see a floor plan only pics of spaces we need an actual to scale drawing of the space showing windows doorways plumbing with measurements of all the spaces and dark and clear enough to read all of those and the drawing able to be enlarged BTW this is the end of the year go get the right range now . You need a KD what you think will work will not so you need help either from us or a KD and not a cabinet sales person either or the architect.

cmy thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • cmy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It took some work for me to figure out how to upload the picture, but there it is.

This was proposed by a local kitchen designer. I think there will be a clean up zone on the window side, a cooking zone on the stove side, and a prep zone between the fridge, prep sink and stove. I opted not to put a sink in the island so we can use it as a buffet for entertaining or family meals (family of 5).

The size of the (gas) range comes down to balancing the visual design, cost, and practicality. We love the double ovens but I haven't seen a double oven in a 36". If GE Cafe had the same range in 36" we might spring for it. I'm somewhat reluctant to spend another 10K to get one of the other brands that I'm not sure I'll love.

• User
    4 years ago

That’s not wide enough and doesn’t have enough clearance for seating. Not even if you do the 15K of built in fridge and freezer that doesn’t extend beyond the perimeter cabinets. A counter depth fridge extends 6” into that aisle. A full size fridge extends 12” into that aisle. Plus the island forces an awkward traffic path both for visitors and the cook. The DW is in the prep space. There also isn’t near enough room allotted to the “family room” space. It’s tiny. And no place for a TV.

You’re going to be better off with a peninsula and a G shaped kitchen. But the family room space is going to need to be changed to a different function entirely. There isn’t room to make that a family gathering spot.

Are you sure that you worked with an actual architect? Because there seems to be a disconnect about the space that the humans will need to occupy.

• roccouple
    4 years ago

It looks like your kitchen is about 14x14 or 14x15. im not a pro but to me your island looks possible but tight.

if it were me I’d consider other alternatives like a g shaped kitchen with extra deep counters. I think there are much cooler and more functional possibilities. You could have a really great kitchen in that space. Another option would be more of a galley with the island at 90 degrees. i think either the g or galley could be really great. What you have now is so so to me although I’m not an expert.

if it were me I’d get a second opinion from other kitchen designers. As drawn also the range is a focal point so I see why they are recommending bigger. however you should have something that really works with the way you cook instead of a kitchen that demands a feature you don’t need or want. The room itself looks like it would support many options.

• cmy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We had some constraints as this is a heritage home. There was a pre-existing addition which we extended up and out. The window seat was there in the previous addition and we kept it there in order to get heritage permit approval.

The design was honestly proposed by a well reputed kitchen designer. The family space is not intended to be a full fledge family room. I see it more as a place where people will lounge while eating a bowl of cereal, or eat casually in the company of others in the kitchen, or play cards at night.

We looked at a G design -- I'll try to pull it up, but we were afraid it represented a lot of walking between sink and fridge.

Thanks!

• cmy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the G-shape design that the KD grudgingly proposed with peninsula, but they really preferred the U.

• roccouple
    4 years ago

The fridge sink distance is basically the same in the u and g plans. I know that was a reason for rejecting the g plan. But In the u the island is in the way that’s the main difference. In both plans its a little far. I really think a second or third opinion is worth the effort and money. You have to live with this for a while and it’s a big investment

cmy thanked roccouple
  • cmy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is so interesting, because I was the one pushing the G on the KD. With the U, won't the prep sink make an efficient triangle in the bottom half of the kitchen? Should I re-consider putting it in the island?

• wilson853
    4 years ago

I have a layout similar to these photos and like having completely separate cooking and clean-up zones on either side of the island with the refrigerator convenient to both sinks. I was able to get a much wider aisle for the 36" refrigerator door swing than if I had kept it on the side wall. This also allows multiple workers to coexist without running into each other. This would only work if you would consider a prep sink. Your island could be extended a bit past the side walls to give you the island seating that you want and still leave space for a couple of comfy chairs in your keeping room. Our refrigerator used to be at the end of the cabinet run near the seating end of the island. Whenever we had company and people were milling around the island at that end, I was always asking someone to move so that I could get into the refrigerator. That just doesn't happen now with the refrigerator in a protected spot.

Sea Coast Stone House · More Info

Greystone Grandeur · More Info

Cow Hollow Historic Home · More Info

cmy thanked wilson853
  • M
    4 years ago

I was biting my tongue and tried not to comment on the original design. It didn't look really all that useful, but I understand that everybody wants to have their island these days.

Now that you posted the G-shaped layout, I don't need to hold back any more. Whew. The G-shaped designed is just so much more functional. It's no contest. I would absolutely prefer a kitchen that I can effectively make a meal over a kitchen that follows the current design goals. And yes, I do agree with the KD that the peninsula looks more old-school. But that doesn't mean it's always the wrong choice.

If you do have money to burn, I wouldn't spend it on a bigger stove. Seeing this drawing, I think your existing range is just fine. But you could spend the extra money on a great workstation sink. It'll make clean up and prep so much easier. Take a look at rachiele.com. It's a great site to learn about what makes a functional sink. I love Dino Rachiele's sinks, but even if you end up buying from someone else, use the resources that he provides.

And if you really want something cool, get a Miele combination steam oven. Such a useful appliance. But it's unfortunately expensive, especially if you pick the plumbed model, which I like a lot.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

The G is much superior. The only thing that could make it better would be a second exit in the center of the U. What’s in the other side of that wall? G’s have limited circulation routes. That is both a benefit and a drawback.

• wilson853
    4 years ago

I'd extend the island into the keeping room to get the seating that you need before I would pen myself in with a peninsula especially with the sink so close to the corner. That would drive me nuts.

California Breeze Transitional · More Info

• richfield95
    4 years ago

How much counter seating are you looking for?

i don’t particularly care for either design. In the U, there is not enough aisle space and the island in the middle of the path from fridge to sink is annoying.

in the G shape, there isn’t much room to the left of the sink.

Id move the fridge to the wall between the sink and patio door In the “U“ setup. Then change the entire wall of cabinets where the fridge is in the “U” to 18” deep instead of 24”. This would allow you to move the island further away from the top row of cabinets where the sink is, creating a 45”-48” wide aisle there where you will have the most traffic.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

The U that you posted, must have two 12 inch drawer bases at the cook end of island, ( change to a 24" stack ) so I would FORGET stools. He has left you 42 inch clearances, but a fridge too far and circuitous a route..

It COULD work with a loss of the corner lazy susan, and a SINGLE door 36 inch right hinge fridge near that lazy susan corner with a more direct route to sink and range. A kitchen of this size, and 60 inches of cooling??!! No. Not unless you are 200 miles from a grocery.. You'd be better off with a MONOGRAM 36 inch dual fuel range, which will get you also one fabulous !!! oven that will hold full size catering sheets. Then add as second 30 inch wall oven if you must, and a GE Advantium. microwave. A 30 inch fridge column, 18 inch freeze column MAX. You need to first get firm on appliances, and you NEED to scale down. This is not a 20 x 30 kitchen . Even the "zone" is over think in this size, just make travel from one app to another logical and convenient.

The G- Certainly more seating. But again, it would be very helpful to see the entire kitchen as a part of the first floor with addition. And in DETAIL. Flat. With all inches. For everything.

• artemis78
    last year

@cmy, curious to know if you ended up doing this, and how you solved for it if so. We are going the other direction in this situation (36" space trying to bump it down to a 30" space) and figuring out what the options are for cabinet and counter fillers. Thinking 3" posts as you described, but not sure what to put on top--maybe a stainless strip? Our counter is soapstone but I don't think we can easily match it. If you did end up doing this, would love to know what you chose!

• cmy
    Original Author
    last year

@artemis78 yes we did end up doing this and it worked out very well! However, I don't know that I would go in the opposite direction, starting with a 36" range with the knowledge that my future 'forever' range would be 30". Your 'forever' counters would be short by 3" on either side. Why not stay with the 36" range?

In our case, we kept the 30" range for budgetary reasons. The 'forever' counters were cut to accommodate a 36" range. To fill the two 3" gaps, I got decorative legs from Osborne Wood (great selection) and our counter supplier cut and polished two 3" wide strips from the same stone for us to install alongside the range to fill the gap. There was enough material to fashion two square 'cutting boards' of the same stone, which I put on top of the seam. Of course you have to have something structural underneath to support the weight of the stone strips. When the cutting boards are in place, you don't notice the seams at all.

I still love our 30" GE Cafe and it is working fine, so we will likely live with this set-up for a long time to come. I will look for a picture to post

• artemis78
    last year

Thank you--would love to see photos! Our challenge is that the 36" induction ranges are very limited and much more expensive than the 30" ranges, and we're finding that the ovens are also much too big for our needs, so it feels a little nuts to be paying extra for more than we need. (We would probably use/appreciate the cooktop space, but definitely don't *need* it.) So I'm trying to figure out if we can make it look reasonable to fill the space, and how much it will cost if so (relative to the increased cost of the 36" range). We are replacing a 34" vintage range, but left a 36" space when we renovated a while back so that we'd be able to replace it someday with a standard-sized range.

• cmy
    Original Author
    last year

I found this photo. We have a closet and seating area with window seat on the other side (behind the photographer), but I don't have a photo of those just yet.

If you zoom in the photo you can just make out the two extra pieces of stone (the 'cutting boards') to the left and right of the stove, as well as the tops of the 3" leg inserts. I find what makes it work visually is the big honkin' range hood as a focal point, which distracts the eye away from the tiny stove.

There was a discussion here about the U vs G layouts and we went with the U layout. We love the island, just need a few extra stools that can stow under the counter when not in use. There is ample space to walk around. It is comfortable for our busy family of 5. We also got a Wolf CSO which we love love love. I kept a microwave in the cupboard above the CSO for the kids. There is a prep sink in the back right corner which I also love. Key for me was having no sink in the island, so I can use it as a buffet.

Some of the tile choices are not perfect, but this was completed during the height of the pandemic when many stores here were shut down, so overall I'm quite happy with the finishes.