SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura855

Replacing odd sized vintage range, gaps on sides?

laura855
6 years ago

My new house came with a vintage O'Keefe & Merritt stove that the kitchen was designed around (stove is 40" wide"). The range is a beautiful yellow and in good shape but does need some adjustments/service and I am unable to find anyone local to work on it. Also, I live in Las Vegas and don't know if having 4 pilot lights in the Summer is a good idea. So I am looking at replacing the stove and selling it. I am considering a pro-style such as Blue Star, Capital, etc (yes I have sufficient ventilation). Problem is they are all 36"...........what do I do with the 2-3" gap" on each side? Maybe have a carpenter build in some trim? What about the gap between the countertop and stove top? The kitchen is brand new so a full renovation is not an option.

I am currently set up for gas only but I do have room in the panel to add a 220 line without having to upgrade; estimate $800, not totally out of the question but would rather not. Of course my dream stove would be an Ilve, AGA, or LaCanche which would fit the space better but it's hard to justify the price.

I don't wok cook or sear steaks inside but do like to cook on open burners. I really don't need a big oven as I am single and usually cooking for myself so the smaller ovens on the French ranges are fine. Honestly, the vintage stove would be perfect if I could find someone local to work on it and if it didn't put off so much heat!

I would love to hear everyone's input and ideas as this decision is driving me nuts!

Comments (25)