SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

November 2019, Week 4

Thus begins the final week of this month, with nice, warm, sunny weather expected. The nice days will last another day or two or maybe even three after today depending on your specific location. Rain and cooler weather returns around mid-week. At this time next week, we'll be at the beginning of December.

Garden chores for this moth remain the same as always for this time of the year.

If you haven't planted your garlic yet, it is not too late. It also is not too late to plant daffodil bulbs and grape hyacinths as well but I wouldn't delay too much longer. Anytime after mid-December it is okay to plant pre-chilled tulip bulbs and Dutch hyacinths.

There still is time to do corrective pruning of trees and shrubs. With perennials and annuals, I prefer to leave them standing intact in the garden in winter to provide shelter and food for the wild things.

You can rake leaves, or leave them alone. Your choice. Different folks have different goals and also different ways they use their leaves. There's also more peer pressure in modern suburban neighborhoods to rake them up. Remember you can chop them up with your lawnmower and leave them on the ground to enrich it, rake them into garden beds as mulch, or rake them up, gather them up and add them to beds as a fine mulch or put them on your compost pile.

If nurseries still have pansies, violas, snapdragons, cyclamens, dianthus. stock and ornamental cabbage and ornamental kale, these can be planted now for winter and spring color.

Now that repeated freezes have pushed plants into dormancy, if you need to transplant any sort of perennial plant, shrub or tree, this is a good time to do so.

Stores have nice stocks of indoor holiday-related plants on the shelves now. I've seen poinsettias, Thanksgiving cacti, Christmas cacti, succulents, rosemary sheared into Christmas tree shapes, amaryllis, and mixed greens in planters--those might have been cut greens in Oasis foam because they didn't look big enough to be multiple plants in a single pot i.e. their height seemed out of proportion to their width. Some stores, as is typical at the holiday season, have living Christmas trees in pots if you want to buy and plant one.

It is going to be a busy week for all of us with Thanksgiving occurring. Have a great week everyone.

Dawn

Comments (15)