SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

November 2019, Week 2

Is it winter yet? It feels like autumn today, so let's enjoy it while it lasts.

As the weather changes, remember that plants may be damaged by strong cold winds, they may be damaged by colder temperatures than they can bear, and they may be damaged by the two above factors combined, but they do not experience wind chill like we humans (and animals) do. Fortunately for our plants, moist roots tolerate very cold temperatures with less damage than dry roots, and Mother Nature has taken the time to wet down all our plant roots recently so she's got that part covered. Mulch helps. Covering tender vegetation can help protect it if anyone has anything still alive and flourishing and would like to help keep those plants from freezing a while longer.

I don't really have much of a garden chore list in mind this week. Who is going to be out in those wind chills on Monday or Tuesday doing anything outdoors? My garden chore list involves staying indoors, hibernating in the warmth, watching the frost form pretty patterns, watching the leaves fall, and only venturing outdoors long enough to quickly feed the animals and give them water, and then to flee back indoors to the warmth of our home. Being outdoors in cold weather is over-rated.

After the coldest nights have passed, I expect we'll see more leaves falling, including a lot of the ones that still are perfectly green and not really ready for autumn at all. (I blame the prolonged autumn heat for that!) I have wondered if all the rain we had after the heat wave broke might be part of the problem too when it comes to the autumn leaves. Normally in autumns the leaves are forming an abscission zone that will help them fall off the trees at the right time, and all the growth pushed by the heavy rain after the heat wave seems to be interfering in that process. I'm not sure that we've ever had this many trees still so heavily green this late in November. Our trees here are mostly about six weeks behind---for example, elm trees that usually have their leaves turn yellow and fall in September and early October are just now yellowing and dropping leaves. Oddly, the persimmons that are on the same approximate time schedule as the elms did go ahead and drop their leaves more or less on time, well, maybe a week late. They're all bare now.

Do y'all have any garden chores you want to get done this week?

Does anyone have freezing rain, sleet or snow in their forecast? Is it still November? What's happening with this crazy weather?

Do you still have plants in bloom? We still have purple coneflowers, coral honeysuckle and some of the native asters (the tiny white ones) blooming, though I think all that ends Monday night. The mums in pots are blooming and are gorgeous, and I'll bring them indoors at night on Mon and Tues. Since they aren't in the ground, their cold hardiness is not the same as it would be if they were well-established, in-ground plants.

Whatever goals I have for this week (and wrangling a new puppy and bottle-feeding kittens have destroyed any goals and aspirations I have anyway) will involve indoor chores. I'd like to finish my plant lists for the new landscape and order any seeds of plants I want to start from seeds, but the puppy and kittens barely leave me any time to eat, sleep and breathe so I'm not sure when that's going to happen.

Have a good week everyone and stay warm!

Dawn

Comments (61)