SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiwi_bird

How to orient hex tile in niche- best for the niche, or match floor?

kiwi_bird
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello! We are tiling our guest shower (square corner shower with black framed enclosure) as follows:

Black slate hex tile with black grout on floor and in back of niche..

Matte white 3x12 tiles in a brick lay with gray grout on walls and on curb

(originally I wanted the white tile in back of niche, but the cuts were going to be too weird due to required location of niche.

FYI, the rest of the bathroom floor is tiled in 12x24 black slate with black grout

So, the nitpicky details giving me trouble are:

The hex tile is oriented with points toward the shower faucet wall. The niche is on the perpendicular wall (flats of hex floor tile facing the niche wall) Normally I would be inclined to have the hex tiles oriented the same way as the floor so as to appear as a continuation (the niche tiles oriented with flats on top since that's how the floor tiles beneath are), HOWEVER, I don't think the niche itself will look as attractive that way because in this color scheme, the hex tile oriented with the flats up looks like tire treads. (I'll try to attach some internet sample photos to illustrate.)

So, shall I orient the hex tile points up in the niche (which looks nicer in the niche, but doesn't match the orientation of the floor) or match the orientation of the floor, and deal with the tire tread look?

Thanks in advance!

(One wildcard, I could just pop a 12x12 carrara tile back there because we have carrara on the shower curb top and on the vanity, but I think that reads a little fancier/"prettier" than the direction this bath is taking, which is in the basement and decidedly casual)

Comments (12)