SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Idle question about orientation and exposure ...

We are getting new neighbors, about an eighth of a mile to the west. There are three two-acre lots between us on what was farmed land--until the owners decided to divide it for sale this spring. The new neighbors are building close to their western lot line, with enough space for the driveway on that side, so they'll have a nice amount of space between them and their (future) neighbors to the east. The lot is flat in the front, then gently sloping to the hill behind, but sits on a slight rise, making it the prime building spot of those for sale.

I've had a clear view of the build from my kitchen, and have been curious about the window placement. According to the RE agent, there are restrictions on building, including a 120' set-back from the road, and minimum 1800 sf. I'm guessing this house is around 3000 sf, not including the basement. I'm curious about why there is only one small window on the east side. Until the siding went on this week, I kept thinking that maybe some of their windows were back-ordered, or were custom with a lead time, and they would eventually be installed when they arrived.

I'm not going to post a pic of the neighbor's house, but I've drawn a close representation of the outline of the house and the window placement. The small black window is the only one on the east side of the house. The red lines represent the garage, garage doors, and the only windows on the west side of the house. There is an empty lot to their west, but since they've built close to their western lot line, future neighbors might be closer on that side.

There are a lot of windows on the front (north side) of the house, and probably one window for each room on the back (south) side, plus a set of French doors on the other side of that bump-out in the back. I don't know anything about the layout, but it appears that no room in the back of the house has cross-ventilation, nor do any of the rooms upstairs.

My house has the same orientation and set-back from the road. On the east side I have four windows downstairs and one window in the 1/2 story gable. I love waking up to the sun in the morning, and my dream has been to build a small sun room off my bedroom, replacing one of those windows with a door.

I don't know the new neighbors, and they aren't yet occupying the house. Even if we did meet, I probably wouldn't ask them to explain their thought process about their window placement, but I am curious (or maybe just nosy). What do you think about the orientation and window placement? Is it a plan for a narrow suburban lot, not well-adapted to a rural setting? Should they have flipped the plan? Why wouldn't the architect take advantage of the eastern light?

Oh, and if anyone wants to commiserate with me, about having all the farmland around me sold off for building lots, feel free. The price of each two-acre lot is almost as much as we paid for our house, garage, and barn, on three acres, in 1994. I guess this will make property values increase?

Comments (13)