new computer (lap top) is giving me headaches

OklaMoni

What would you do?

The first new computer ran loud, as in the fan ran on super high almost all the time, and we (daughter and I) took it back.

Now, the second one seems to have issues about charging.

New laptop computer is a HP laptop.

HP Pavillion

8 GB RAM

8GB DDR 4 SDRAM

16 GB Intel Optane Memory

8th generation Intel Core i7

Quad Core processor

I used this computer yesterday, without a cord, on my lap. Turned it off and plugged it in at bedtime. It wasn't all the way charged up by morning.

No, it wasn't almost empty of charge, it was at about 2/3 charged when I turned it off.

This can't be normal.

Do I need to take this one back as well?

Gets a bit tiresome installing stuff from my old laptop, setting up passwords and deleting all again...

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Moni

SaveComment19Like
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lukki Irish

Hi Moni, I’m sorry you’re having problems, we’ve always had really good luck with the HP’s we’ve bought (and there’s been several). It’s probably just the adapter in the cord or a faulty battery both of which can be replaced pretty easily. Depending on where you bought it from, if they offer that option, that could be an easy solution. However, if both of the units have been the same model, that would make me uncomfortable so I‘D return it for either a different HP model or a different brand entirely (with comparable specs). The brand we’re considering for our next laptop is the Levono. I work remotely and our company has replaced all their dell units with Levono’s as has my DH’s company. I didn’t know the brand when it was first sent to me and was skeptical but they have proven to be a solid option.

1 Like Save     Thanked by OklaMoni
nicole___

We have matching HP laptop Pavillions that are about 10 years old! Recharging the battery takes about 10 minutes. It takes 1.5 hours to discharge the battery. When new it was good for 3 hours.

I'd return it...and exchange it for one that worked like it should.

IE: I just purchased a used Canon camera off Ebay. The listing said it tested Good/working. It was non-functioning, the seller knew it, I got a full refund. Then purchased the same camera from another seller....waited ANOTHER week to get it....it's fine! Same price. It was worth the hassle!

Save     Thanked by OklaMoni
Fun2BHere

@Lukki Irish, did you mean Lenovo?

2 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I'd return it and get a different brand. HP products used to be good (not more than that) but aren't anymore. My company buys thousands of PCs every year and dropped HP from the approved list a decade ago because of excessive quality problems. Their products are sub-par compared to the competition.

Lenovo PCs, specifically its Think Pad line, are considered the top of the market quality and function-wise but are expensive and probably not necessary for simple home use.

HP PCs are often among the lowest priced products a seller has and so they sell. There's a reason why they're low priced, the market won't support premium prices for non-premium products.

You'll be happier with any other major brand- Asus, Acer, Dell, Lenovo

2 Likes Save     Thanked by OklaMoni
lily316

We bought an all in one HP a few months ago because I fell on our $600 Lenovo smashing the screen. Thankfully I wasn't hurt but got this great new computer all in white with a white flat key keyboard. We love it and are glad our Lenovo bit the dust. We've owned them all and Dell was the worse by far.

1 Like Save    
Olychick

When you plug it into the charger, can you see the "charging" icon on the screen? If not, did you try a different outlet? Is it plugged into a surge protector? I find for some reason I have to try different outlets on the strip sometimes.

Save    
Winter

I'm another proponent of Lenovo. After months of being without a computer, I elected to buy the latest Lenovo All-In-One. Pricey...but worth every penny. It's not a lap top but those that I know who have the Lenovo lap top rave about it in the same voice that I do with the PC version.

Save    
marylmi

My first laptop was a ThinkPad (win.95) given to me by stepson as his company was giving them new ones. Very well built. Since then though, I have bought Toshiba laptops and have never had a problem so far. I would certainly take the HP back.

Save    
stacey_mb

I purchased an HP that I had to return after about a month when the most frequently used keys on the keyboard started to fade. I took it back to the store where the salesperson wiped the keyboard down with a wet wipe, thinking it was just dirty. But no, the keys really were worn. They advised me not to exchange it for another HP because I might have the same issues. I got an Acer which I really like. In fact, I had purchased the HP to replace an ancient Acer, which I had to go back to temporarily when the HP didn't work out.

Save    
Raye Smith

I don't purchase computers made for the home user market. I always purchase business grade machines, the quality is better.

Save    
OklaMoni

Ok, I am still in test mode I guess.

Found out, when I used the turn off option, it only went to sleep... but still doesn't totally explain the charging up part.

Yes, it is plugged in to an outlet, not a power strip, and that outlet works.

Now, that I know about the shutting this thing down... I also set it to shut down when I close it... which is what I prefer and am used to from the old laptop.

I still have 12 days to return this unit, and am going to use it lots to really test it out.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I really appreciate it.

Moni

2 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"I don't purchase computers made for the home user market. I always purchase business grade machines, the quality is better."

What criteria do you use to tell which is which?

As a consultant (pre-retirement), I had daily exposure to machines different companies provided to employees. Though my company didn't, much of what I saw would suggest many went low-end and cheap. And many people buy higher quality for home. I don't think there's any pattern or rule. You certainly can't go by what a manufacturer uses to describe different models, most are rather similar at a given point in time anyway. As a for instance, many will be equipped with whatever processors were most recently purchased in quantity (whether Intel or AMD) and different models and prices are often just with subtle flavor differences of the same thing.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Moni, a sleeping laptop with the power cord plugged in and attached should charge in the normal way. Leave it alone and then come back in 3 or 4 hours and it should be 100% charged.

Save    
Lukki Irish

Yes Function, I sure did! Thank you!

1 Like Save    
Olychick

Do you see the charging icon when it's plugged into the charger? Not sure how you can give it a workout before returning if you can't charge it?

Save    
OklaMoni

It is charging, and yes, the charging light goes on... but I don't think it should take overnight for it to charge up, when it was at almost 50%

2 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"I don't think it should take overnight for it to charge up"

I very much agree. Most PCs would restore 50% in 2 hours or less.

Might it be that some high intensity process was running, like a Windows update?

1 Like Save    
OklaMoni

Yes, Elmer, that is what I am hoping.

1 Like Save    
jemdandy

I have 2 HP Pavilions at my house and do not have the problem you are experiencing. I did have an issue that my battery would drain to very low charge if the computer was stored for a week. However, my issue was more with the "Window10 operating system than the computer. Something was active when the computer seemed to be shut down. A fully charged battery should be able to keep the BIOS settings alive and the clock/calendar running for many days, probably months. I did find one setting that was causing a drain.

About slow to not charging: Two items could be at fault. One is the power supply that is in the power cord. One cord plugs into the household electrical outlet and the other end, carrying DC power goes to the computer. The power supply may be faulty. There has been problems with batteries shorting from over charging or trying to charge a failed battery pack. If a portion of the battery pack has shorted, then its output voltage would be diminished and a charger trying to bring that pack up to voltage overcharges the remaining good cells. If it does not fully charge overnight, there is something amiss. The problem could be the battery pack or the power supply. Our HP Pavilion computers come up to near full charge in 2 to 3 hours.

By the way, make sure you did not plug it into a switched outlet that goes dead when you turn the lights off.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Collections 10 Look-at-Me Ways to Show Off Your Collectibles
Give your prized objects center stage with a dramatic whole-wall display or a creative shelf arrangement
Full Story
Contractor Tips Contractor Tips: Top 10 Home Remodeling Don'ts
Help your home renovation go smoothly and stay on budget with this wise advice from a pro
Full Story
Decorating Guides Top Tile Trends From the Coverings 2013 Show — the Wood Look
Get the beauty of wood while waving off potential splinters, rotting and long searches, thanks to eye-fooling ceramic and porcelain tiles
Full Story