SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Making fresh mozzarella cheese

Lars
4 years ago

I found this site that sells equipment for making cheese, and I thought I might try making mozzarella cheese. All I need is rennet and calcium chloride, plus the milk, of course, and I'm not sure which milk I should use for this. Do I need to look for raw milk? I have citric acid, although I'm not sure why. I think I bought it because I happened to see it on a store shelf and thought I might need it at some time. Unfortunately, I have a lot of ingredients like this. I also have cheesecloth for the same reason. I was thinking of using this recipe from the same site. I noticed that some people on the Pizza Making Forum make their own, and it seems easy enough.

When I lived in Venice, there was a restaurant supply store a block away across the street from me that sold fresh buffalo mozzarella, and so I would go there to buy it just when I needed it, but now I have to go at least a mile to the nearest market, and so that's nothing something I do on a simple whim. I think there is one market I can get to on my bike without going on any major streets, and I'll have to remember to try that. There may be some steep hills between here and there, but I do have a 27 speed mountain bike, and so that should not be an issue, and that might help get me back into riding my bike more often.

What tips do you have for making fresh mozzarella? What milk do you use? Do you use rennet tablets or liquid rennet? I was concerned about storing liquid rennet or spoilage during shipping.

Comments (21)